You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes upon Saving

It has happened a few times to me that Publisher (version 174) crashes/becomes unresponsive upon saving. At first I thought it was related to saving/replacing an existing file, but it happened to me yesterday with a completely new file, too. I then force-quit, restart, and usually just continue.

Yesterday Publisher refused to start after this force-quit. Weird things was that it displayed "Force Quit" in the Dock, appeared in the Force Quit Window (as responsive), but there was no process visible in the Activity Monitor. No click on any "Force Quit" would remove it. I tried to kill that by logging out, but the log-out failed, so it seemed, due to these weird remnants. I cold re-booted the Mac, after which everything returned to normal.

That's on a late 2012 Mac mini running Mojave, in case it matters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 3:13 AM, Chris B said:

Hey elgarak,

Sorry nobody has replied to you before now. Have you managed to install the 192 beta? There has been quite a few fixes since 174 so hopefully this newer build will be more stable.

14 March 2019 latest Publisher update. Still having random crash issues with both Publisher and Designer when trying to save. Seems it doesn't like it saving to network drives.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, petriknz said:

14 March 2019 latest Publisher update. Still having random crash issues with both Publisher and Designer when trying to save. Seems it doesn't like it saving to network drives.

Saving directly to network drives has been a bit of an issue for us. Until we can find a solution we have always recommended saving locally and then using the network drive to back it up. I appreciate this isn't ideal but for now, it is the safest way to save your work.

22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Saving directly to network drives has been a bit of an issue for us. Until we can find a solution we have always recommended saving locally and then using the network drive to back it up. I appreciate this isn't ideal but for now, it is the safest way to save your work.

You're right. Not ideal. All assets and linked files are on the network drives. Can't move all that to local machines.

• Staff

Can you give me some more info about the network drive? I'm trying to find a thread that suggests changing the Sharing setting to either SMB or AFP. It might be worth checking which one you're using and see if it is feasible to try the other.

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Can you give me some more info about the network drive? I'm trying to find a thread that suggests changing the Sharing setting to either SMB or AFP. It might be worth checking which one you're using and see if it is feasible to try the other.

That's getting too technical for me. All I know is it's a NAS with one drive duplicating the other.

• Staff

Ah okay, in that case the right decision is no to fiddle with it! 

I'm really sorry about this—I wish I could offer more info but we have had a really tough time reproducing this internally. There are dozens of threads about it. If you find some spare time, it could be worthwhile having a bit of a read of some existing threads and see if some of the success stories work for you.

Typing 'Affinity NAS' or 'Affinity SMB' into your favourite search engine should turn up a lot of results.

• 2 months later...

I am having this same problem. Tried moving my file to a local folder, but crashed on trying to save. I am uploading my crash report so hopefully you can see what's going on and get to the bottom of it :) Because I LOVE Affinity and this program and want it to succeed :)  

Affinity Crash on Save - Mac OSX crash report.txt

Update: I found this was only happening on a specific file after moving pages around.. however, even after removing and reinstalling and updating the beta, the file still crashes. Luckily, I had a previous version that I went back to and could work from. That one works mucho perfecto ... so something must have gotten corrupted. Happy to send you the file (but it's big). (btw, the best way to find bugs is to work on something real - just like when learning to write code :)

Edited by ea0723
update

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.