You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loss of Guides etc when grouping

Perhaps a silly question, but did you create Guides on the right-hand page? Or did you create them only on the left-hand page?

Can you show us a screenshot? Or a video?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, GrahamMYC said:

The guides were created across a 2 page master page.

When I grouped the layers that I had created for the left hand page, all the guides disappeared,

My aim was to simplify the development process. That is all.

Did you by any chance accidentially hide the guides? You can check in the menu if 'Show guides' is on or not.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Interesting question! At the bottom of the layer stack there was a group called basic that I do not remember creasing. It contains objects like page numbers and also a couple of picture frames all originally created on the master. If I include this in the Group, the guides disappear. They do not disappear of I include everything else in the Group. I am slowly lurching (with my 77 yr old brain) toward an understanding, but I would say that this situation is far from transparent. It needs a couple of coats of looking at!

35 minutes ago, GrahamMYC said:

At the bottom of the layer stack there was a group called basic that I do not remember creasing. It contains objects like page numbers and also a couple of picture frames all originally created on the master.

If it was "(Basic)" and has a red stripe on the left side of the layer entry that would indicate that you have a Master Page named Basic, and the contents of that layer are all the contents of that Master Page.

Edit: And, interestingly, if you have drawn your Guides on the Master Page, and you Group the Master Page layer on a document page, the Guides do disappear. That feels like it could be a bug, though as we're not really supposed to play with that layer the developers may disagree :)

Edit 2: The other content from the Master page does not disappear when the layer is grouped with something else, which makes the Guides disappearance seem even more like a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it was "(Basic)" and has a red stripe on the left side of the layer entry that would indicate that you have a Master Page named Basic, and the contents of that layer are all the contents of that Master Page.

Edit: And, interestingly, if you have drawn your Guides on the Master Page, and you Group the Master Page layer on a document page, the Guides do disappear. That feels like it could be a bug, though as we're not really supposed to play with that layer the developers may disagree :)

Edit 2: The other content from the Master page does not disappear when the layer is grouped with something else, which makes the Guides disappearance seem even more like a bug.

The same thing happens on Mac. I would think that your "Edit 2:" means this behaviour of the guides disappearing is a bug.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, GrahamMYC said:

At the bottom of the layer stack there was a group called basic that I do not remember creasing. 

This certainly looks like you were grouping with master pages. I assume you made the selection for the group from the layers panel?

Please, try a different approach. Select everything on the left hand side on the page itself (e.g. by mouse and rubberband around all of its content). This won't include objects from the master page.

I hope this helps.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

It had never occurred to me to select from the pages column. I will give that a try. 

Well, thanks to you guys, I have learned quite a bit; and I think I may have surfaced a few issues that deserve thinking about.

Inanother post I have learned that Serif are considering issues relating to the promotion of objects from the master to the live page. It therefore looks like this is a work on progress, and we will have to wait for those bright lads in Nottingham to think it through.

So, unless anyone has anything major to say, I suggest we pause this discussion.