You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.103)

47 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Yes. Everytimes there is more than one use case

Not every time, but this is a somewhat core expectation of some users.

It could be an option in Preferences for that matter too, and could be implemented using the non-destructive crop functionality so that the crop tool could then be used to "undo" the crop if someone has it enabled and for a particular instance decides to roll it back.

Besides that, this request implies at least 4 options:

• Doing nothing ( the „triangles“ remain),
  • cropping the image, until the „triangles“ have disappeared,
  • enlarging the image content, until the „triangles“ disappear, but keep the image dimensions as they are,
  • applying „content aware fill“ to the „triangle“ areas, as it is possible in Photoshop.

… and every option of course with the choice between destructive/undestructive.

So, to satisfy every user, this small feature has to be blown up immensely only to avoid a tiny bit of manual work.

And, believe me, there are dozens of features which can be bloated this way to support user‘s laziness. :)

How do you do nothing destructively?  :ph34r:

In any case, I think this is blown out of proportion.  Yes you could add all of those options to automatic handling, but enlarging the image does NOT make sense in this context (automatic content-aware fill might be interesting if that actually works reasonably well for a sufficient percentage of use cases) and this would basically convert the checkbox to a drop-down list which wouldn't necessarily take up much more space (if any) in the interface.

It will not be possible to satisfy every user (clearly, as this discussion demonstrates), but I do think a checkbox (or preference) to do a non-destructive crop after rotation would cover a much larger set of users than offering only the current behavior.

16 minutes ago, fde101 said:

... but I do think a checkbox (or preference) to do a non-destructive crop after rotation would cover a much larger set of users than offering only the current behavior.

Making this a preference setting would mean every time a user wanted to change it, they would have to open Preferences, make sure it is set it to whichever section includes it, make the change, & then close the window. I think a very large number of users would find that at least as annoying as the current behavior. A Context toolbar checkbox would maybe be a little better, but that toolbar already contains so many items in the beta that they all don't fit on smaller screens. So it is not as if they can just keep adding things to it without pushing some things into the submenu popup, & you gotta know users will never agree on which ones they should be.

But beyond that, since there are 4 crop modes & now 3 crop methods (not to mention all the presets!) there are lots of different possibilities for how this 'auto-crop' option should work together with each of them, particularly considering that either straightening/rotating or cropping can be done first.

With all that in mind, it should not be too hard to imagine that nothing as simple & straightforward as a single checkbox somewhere is likely to cover enough use cases well enough to make it useful for very many users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.