You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still no sticky settings ?

it is interesting to see how you ignore a fundamental flaw version after version of your otherwise great software -  sticky tools and setting incl raw development adjustments.  do you really think this is what your user want ?  keep on clicking the same buttons over and over again because it is such fun ?  right now im retouching more than 100 interior shots  and I have to say I´m totally pissed because your repair tool works better in some instances than adobe but I very much  hate that I have to work with affinity in such an idiotic way. 

I have a similar issue with the preferences panes - I work a lot with images that are required at the same size / resolution for clients, and require thumbnails and sample (smaller) images for the client to view.

I asked (way back) that the crop tool should allow user to change default size option. Instead, each time I work on an image where cropping is required, I have to go through the process of selecting Original Ratio for every image, a tiresome and unnecessary repetitive process.

I then Batch Process the images to resize to the required (original) size, and can also run further batch processes to produce thumbnails and sample images in different sizes.

Sticky tool settings, across all Personas would be an excellent upgrade.

I really  don't  unterstand why they don´t fix this,  everybody working on more than one image runs into this problems. after the initial release the promised to improve usability with 1.6 they made same small progress but now it seems they simply don't care nothing changed.  I have clicked  - clone tool - use all layers a couple hundred times today  this is so ridiculous..... makes me wonder who they see as their target audience  for sure not user which do professional retouching. 

• Staff

All,

We are working through both 1.7 bugs and historical bugs during this beta period - if the bug you are interested in is not fixed yet, please be patient. We are about done with new features for 1.7 and our remaining time is to be spent fixing bugs - so there is a good chance we will get to your issue before release.

Thanks,

A

Andy, thanks for your response but you really calling this behaviour a bug now ?  

to have the tools and settings stick is such a basic necessity for productivity it should have been designed this way from the beginning.  your team has made a lot of progress and some tools works so much better than their adobe counterpart but you cripple photo with usability issues.  I really hope you get this fixed  and I think I speak for a lot user you should add the possibility to copy, save and apply raw develop settings in an easy way. 

I agree with CSP that these issues are not bugs, but app GUI design issues, and would fall under features.

I would suggest a way to batch process RAW files would also be a boon.  RAW Power have recently updated their app with the ability to select similar images with a built in image browser, where one can select the images by eye that require similar RAW conversion, apply the required exposure, colour correction, etc., and then out put.  Repeating the process means a quick, clean set of TIFF's that can then be imported for further adjustments.  Unfortunately, the app seems to suffer the same issues as AP with Batch Output using Metal Accelerator and so is not a solution.

I can understand why AP handles RAW files in the way it does, but there are better solutions.  I have not yet had the chance to fully explore the changes to the AP 1.7   engine, and when I have done so, I will comment further.

10 hours ago, Earlio said:

RAW Power have recently updated their app with the ability to select similar images with a built in image browser, where one can select the images by eye that require similar RAW conversion, apply the required exposure, colour correction, etc., and then out put.

I would think something like that would be a better fit for the DAM solution we are told is in the future rather than in APh.

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

I would think something like that would be a better fit for the DAM solution we are told is in the future rather than in APh.

so adobe should have stopped developing ARC when Lightroom arrived  ?  arc is till very popular because not everybody wants to work with a DAM software. 

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

Yeah, i agree. I never, never use any develope/raw features... but i have to pay for it. AP is in my opinion a photo-EDITOR not a developing tool. So Serif should make a separte app for photopraphers only. Or give us Modules as Personas and we can decide which one we want. I would like to have some AD functions in AP much much more, and i would completely sacrify the develop-persona for eg. vector-brushes+assets.

A separate DAM in both flavors, LR and just organize-Bridge-like i would say is also recommend. But i would just buy a Bridge-Tool, likely as PESRONA so the most direct and fast way is given. 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Thanks for your input.

The DAM discussion is not for this post.

1. The mention of RAW Power was to compare the solutions

2. The addition of a browser to RP is not a DAM solution, it is a browser from which one can select specific images to Raw Develop, and holds no information on the images once developed.

3. I am aware that there have been many requests to AP to develop a DAM solution similar to Lightroom.  RAW Power is not that solution.

4. Some here seem to be conflating a Raw Image Editor with Digital Asset Management, these are two different solutions to two different needs.

5. This post is about the issues experienced with AP & Mojave.

6. The post then got into sticky tools and preferences

6. Perhaps the best use of the Forum would be to fork the discussions separately, in order to keep the discussions about the original issues?

38 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

Yeah, i agree. I never, never use any develope/raw features... but i have to pay for it. AP is in my opinion a photo-EDITOR not a developing tool. So Serif should make a separte app for photopraphers only. Or give us Modules as Personas and we can decide which one we want. I would like to have some AD functions in AP much much more, and i would completely sacrify the develop-persona for eg. vector-brushes+assets.

A separate DAM in both flavors, LR and just organize-Bridge-like i would say is also recommend. But i would just buy a Bridge-Tool, likely as PESRONA so the most direct and fast way is given. 

so you know and define what photographers want and need and what a photo editor has to be,  maybe it will surprise you but different user have different needs.  

2 hours ago, csp said:

so adobe should have stopped developing ARC when Lightroom arrived  ?  arc is till very popular because not everybody wants to work with a DAM software. 

Photo is more of a one-picture-at-a-time type of program.  Batch processing functionality in Photo is fitting, but when you start getting into interfaces that present a bunch of pictures and let you check them off a list, copy settings from one to another, and so on, you are going beyond simple batch processing in a one-picture-at-a-time application and getting firmly into DAM / photo organizer territory, whether that amounts to a simple browser like Bridge or a more complete solution such as Aperture offered.

49 minutes ago, Earlio said:

The post then got into sticky tools and preferences

Actually, that is where it started...

2 hours ago, csp said:

Assuming you mean ACR (Adobe Camera RAW), no, I don't think that.  ACR apparently includes a browser function I didn't even know it had because I never use it, but that does get into the territory of a photo browser/organizer which granted falls short of a DAM solution, but is still a different kind of application than what APh is.  ACR is a separate program from Photoshop, and functionality of that nature does not fit in with the Photoshop model any more than it does into the Affinity Photo model.  I'm not saying that offering such functionality is a bad thing, only that it doesn't belong in Photo.  It could be a separate browser tool that may or may not come bundled with Photo, just as Bridge and ACR are both separate tools that happen to come bundled with some of the other Adobe software (as in Photoshop), but it doesn't belong in Photo itself.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:56 AM, Earlio said:

I can understand why AP handles RAW files in the way it does, but there are better solutions.

Agreed in general.  I see the Develop persona in Photo as offering a nice way to get RAW files into the program if they were not being handled by a more appropriate tool, such as a DAM solution with RAW development or a separate RAW developer with a browser capability.  I currently use On1 Photo RAW to organize my photos and do basic development; I might eventually switch to using DXO PhotoLab or something else (I previously used Aperture), then when I need to make adjustments or perform edits that go beyond basic RAW development or which Photo RAW doesn't handle well I do an "export to application" to get it into Affinity Photo to take it from there.  If I am trying to make changes to things that go across photos, a RAW developer such as these is a much more appropriate place to do that.

These are two different categories of programs: RAW developers/browsers/DAM solutions in their various combinations and formats (Aperture, Lightroom, On1 Photo RAW, PhotoLab, Capture One, etc.) for working across a spectrum of photos, and photo editors such as Affinity Photo and Photoshop for focusing in on one picture when you need to go beyond the scope of what the developers/organizers/DAM software can do.

42 minutes ago, csp said:

maybe it will surprise you but different user have different needs.  

Exactl what i say: I do not need Develop-feature, YOU do. So YOU have to pay for it, not me! Same as ME would pay for more design-tools, and maybe not YOU!

50 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Assuming you mean ACR (Adobe Camera RAW), no, I don't think that.  ACR apparently includes a browser function I didn't even know it had because I never use it, but that does get into the territory of a photo browser/organizer which granted falls short of a DAM solution, but is still a different kind of application than what APh is.  ACR is a separate program from Photoshop, and functionality of that nature does not fit in with the Photoshop model any more than it does into the Affinity Photo model.  I'm not saying that offering such functionality is a bad thing, only that it doesn't belong in Photo.  It could be a separate browser tool that may or may not come bundled with Photo, just as Bridge and ACR are both separate tools that happen to come bundled with some of the other Adobe software (as in Photoshop), but it doesn't belong in Photo itself.

as far as I know photoshop and I I use it almost daily since version 2 ACR  is not a separate software it is fully integrated in ps like other filters.  ever heard about smart objects or ACR  as filter ?  you can do things with ACR  impossible with  any raw converter on the market. maybe you  get a little educated on the subject first before making assumptions.   

..yes and liquify, blur filters, repair, sharpen......   all have separate interfaces so what is the point ?   

wouldn't it be great when you could get back to the dev persona and AP opens the raw image again and applies the last used settings even when the image is part of a layer stack no ? 

I really don't get it how anyone can argue against this kind of improvements ? 

1 hour ago, csp said:

maybe it will surprise you but different user have different needs.  

I doubt that is a surprise to anyone, but it does surprise me that some users apparently think the Affinity apps should have been designed from the beginning to meet all of everyone's needs. Obviously that would be very beneficial for users & Serif alike.

The real world problem with that is if they tried that, the apps would likely still be in development, Serif would get no revenue from retail sales, & the company would probably go bankrupt before the retail versions could be released. It is the same for every other commercial software developer, Adobe included. Perhaps you are too young to remember what the first versions of Photoshop were like, or how many years decades of developmental revisions it took for that app to be able to support everything in its current feature set, or how Photoshop & Illustrator still to this day don't fully support each other's features, but some of us do.

Ultimately, it is always first & foremost about keeping the doors open. Everything else is second to that. That is just the way it is & there is nothing we or they can do about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I doubt that is a surprise to anyone, but it does surprise me that some users apparently think the Affinity apps should have been designed from the beginning to meet all of everyone's needs. Obviously that would be very beneficial for users & Serif alike.

ok just forget what I posted.   I´m only a professional advertising photographer with a lot of experience in image editing using PS from version 2 on, almost on a daily basis giving lectures in high end retouching  for  graphic design students and  doing  pro workshops for canon and sony. silly me to think I´m entitle to ask for improvements. 

20 minutes ago, csp said:

silly me to think I´m entitle to ask for improvements. 

Who said you are not?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, csp said:

great when you could get back to the dev persona and AP opens the raw image again and applies the last used settings

Yes, that would be great, so long as there were not other changes incorporated into the layer that would be lost by doing so.  If someone goes and paints into the layer or merges adjustments into it and so on, then the layer is no longer a reflection of the RAW file and redevelopment would overwrite those changes.  Up to the point where that becomes a problem, being able to return to the Develop persona with the settings intact makes perfect sense and I would like that also.

I was never arguing against that.

The discussion went in the direction of applying settings across multiple photos and led into browser-like behavior.  My argument was that browser-like behavior for bulk operations across multiple photos was not a good fit for the overall design of Affinity Photo, even though batch processing may fit just fine.  Recording Develop settings into a macro that could then be replayed against other photos would work also... but in any case, none of that matches the scenario you just now described.

8 hours ago, csp said:

8 hours ago, csp said:

ok just forget what I posted.   I´m only a professional advertising photographer with a lot of experience in image editing using PS from version 2 on, almost on a daily basis giving lectures in high end retouching  for  graphic design students and  doing  pro workshops for canon and sony. silly me to think I´m entitle to ask for improvements. 

I would say you need a SEPARATE app... which fronts your wishes more then the concept of AP. AP is a MOST-EDITOR-photo-app.... you are looking for a MOST-devoloper-appp... Its a often called which and AFAIKN Serif is working a product you more like... But here, we mostly speak about AP at it is in MAIN_CONAePT, not as special personal-wish for a loud photographer-comrade...

I´m absolute for a SEPARATE DAM solution, for your and other peoples wishes, but ist not the core of AP! APs Core is to be an EDITOR, not to be your personal wisches, to be your personally  RAW-station with some EDitor-functions you like. Maybe Adobe has enough manpower, to realize special wishes if a people is loud enough crying... i hope SERIF will such people not give a confirmation--- You have a very special wish... for a separate app.. its not part of AP... be thanfull, that AP allows lot of develoing-stuff... Its a beside-GIFT, not a main-factor...

It was a mistake to come back here like everywhere elses on the web this form seems  dominated by guys with an tribal attitude derailing discussions and judging what should be discussed, ask for or not.  enjoy yourself I have better things to do. 

On 11/28/2018 at 8:21 AM, csp said:

It was a mistake to come back here like everywhere elses on the web this form seems  dominated by guys with an tribal attitude derailing discussions and judging what should be discussed, ask for or not.  enjoy yourself I have better things to do. 

I agree.  The forum should have the facility to fork when off topic.  Hey Ho.  That is the internet.  I shall not be contributing further.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.