You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macbook pro crushes and shuts down on opening a new doc in affinity designer

How large is the drive in your MBP & how much available free space does it have?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Jond14 said:

My macbook pro crushes and shuts down when Im opening a new doc in affinity designer.

Do you really mean that your MacBook Pro crashes and shuts down, or is it only Affinity Designer that crashes? :/

Oops! I see that you went on to say “the computer shuts down and restarts”. :$

Edited by αℓƒяє∂
Re-read original post

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Do you really mean that your MacBook Pro crashes and shuts down, or is it only Affinity Designer that crashes? :/

Well since the OP said "...Affinity designer open up but as soon as I choose new doc and open the computer shuts down and restarts.", it look like a possible sort of segmentation fault which then pulls the whole MacOS down with it and affects a system reboot.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 minutes ago, Jond14 said:

The whole MacBook 

You have to look into the MacOS operating system log files if there are entries and thus indications for what concrete causes such a hard crash!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

27 minutes ago, Jond14 said:

Ok. What’s your recommendations 

See: How to View the System Log on a Mac

You have to find out the cause of that behavior and why here (...if it only happens with Affinity Designer). Thus something in the logs will hopefully tell or show you why the system shuts down and reboots.

When a Mac spontaneously shuts down & restarts, this is usually the result of a kernel panic. This (somewhat dated) Apple article explains more about what that is & discusses some of the ways to fix it. 

One possible cause is not enough free space on the startup drive, which is why I asked about that. Other possible causes include a hardware issue of some kind, corrupted or missing operating system files, some kinds of low level file system corruption, out-of-date third party device drivers, & incompatible peripherals.

These problems can be triggered by only one or a few apps, so it can be difficult to pin down the specific cause. Because of this, it is important to provide as much info as possible about the computer, the software installed on it, any peripherals attached to it, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Well since the OP said "...Affinity designer open up but as soon as I choose new doc and open the computer shuts down and restarts.", it look like a possible sort of segmentation fault which then pulls the whole MacOS down with it and affects a system reboot.

Thanks. I actually re-read the original post, and edited my reply accordingly, before either you or the OP responded to my question!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)