retrograde

Locking Guides discussion (split)

On 3/8/2019 at 2:20 PM, >|< said:

Thanks to the devs for providing a Lock Guides toggle in the View menu of AD beta 1.7.0.6.

I must be going blind or something because I don't see "Lock Guides" or anything like that in the View menu or its sub-menus in the 1.7.0.6 beta:

1773041978_viewmenu1.7.0.6beta.jpg.12964d7676c0778df93272e8c6e90595.jpg

Where should it appear?

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I must be going blind or something because I don't see "Lock Guides" or anything like that in the View menu or its sub-menus in the 1.7.0.6 beta

You argued against it being provided, so be happy that it's not cluttering up your menus :D

5 minutes ago, >|< said:

You argued against it being provided, so be happy that it's not cluttering up your menus :D

Yes, I would have preferred a different approach but as it is, I just want to know if my copy of the latest beta is somehow defective & needs to be reset or what.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I just want to know if my copy of the latest beta is somehow defective & needs to be reset or what.

It looks like it is missing from the US locale View Menu (and probably other languages). I'll get this passed on to development, thanks for letting us know.

3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

It looks like it is missing from the US locale View Menu (and probably other languages). I'll get this passed on to development, thanks for letting us know.

FWIW, I temporarily changed the app Language localization from "English (United States)" to "English" & sure enough, the "Lock Guides" item appeared on the View menu.

8 minutes ago, Grotesker said:

Thank you, lock guides much appreciated, but wouldn't the lock/unlock be better in Guides Manager?

It could be in the Guides Manager, too, but we need it in a menu so that a keyboard shortcut can be assigned.

29 minutes ago, >|< said:

It could be in the Guides Manager, too, but we need it in a menu so that a keyboard shortcut can be assigned.

Technically there is no reason that a shortcut could not be assigned to something that is not in a menu, but I do agree that a simple checkbox in the guides manager could be nice in addition to the menu option.

Moon and stick....

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB