You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Store Brushes - Some Questions...

Looking to get some brushes during the BF sale at the Affinity Store.

I'm not a professional and only try to do things with AP, AD as a hobbyist...and I know nothing about brushes. I have downloaded many free brushes from the net, but have yet to install many of them into the programs because of the brush reset bug.

I was playing around with some brushes today and I noticed some of them are really blurry at what I guess could be considered high-res (A4 size). Is this normal?? I saw another post where a person brought some brushes from the Affinity store and found the same thing.

Do the brushes have to be high-res? How does one know what res they are?? I only create using high-res and only want quality brushes - especially if I purchase them.

I am looking at the following brushes...

"Xenon Brush Pack",  "Concept Master Vol 1 - Nature Pack" and "180 Smoke and Cloud brushes."

Can someone with these brushes give me some feedback on them...and if possible the above questions so I can an least have some understanding.

Much appreciated :)

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

Hi,

• About "Concept Master Vol 1 - Nature Pack" : they are fine, you can check some of his brushes here: Frankentoon or there: Gumroad with free set for testing.
  • You can have other quality brushes from Paolo Limoncelli: BAUB Brushes (some are already shipped with AP and AD).
  • "Chunky Markers Brushes" are fine and neat (I did a test in the last post to compare with the Etch brushes).
  • "Xenon Brush Pack", should be fine since they're from Neil Larkin, from Serif. The Luminance brushes pack, that perhaps he made (I'm not sure), is fine. You can have and test them on Serif site, they're shipped with the iPad version but are available for other users.
  • If  Reto Scheiwiller made his brushes with high resolution PNG like the ones we can find on his Creative market (look at the second preview: brushes size are 1100-2400+ pixels), they should be good brushes.

13 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

• About "Concept Master Vol 1 - Nature Pack" : they are fine, you can check some of his brushes here: Frankentoon or there: Gumroad with free set for testing.
  • You can have other quality brushes from Paolo Limoncelli: BAUB Brushes (some are already shipped with AP and AD).
  • "Chunky Markers Brushes" are fine and neat (I did a test in the last post to compare with the Etch brushes).
  • "Xenon Brush Pack", should be fine since they're from Neil Larkin, from Serif. The Luminance brushes pack, that perhaps he made (I'm not sure), is fine. You can have and test them on Serif site, they're shipped with the iPad version but are available for other users.
  • If  Reto Scheiwiller made his brushes with high resolution PNG like the ones we can find on his Creative market (look at the second preview: brushes size are 1100-2400+ pixels), they should be good brushes. 

Hi Wosven,

Thanks for the insight on these brushes. I've never brought any before - wanted some advice as there are heaps of free ones available online, but I like the look of the ones I mentioned. And...there is the feeling I'm supporting Serif in the process. Guess I just need to get them and take them for a spin.

Much appreciated. Regards :)

Quick update: I purhcased these brushes ( Xenon Brush Pack",  "Concept Master Vol 1 - Nature Pack" and "180 Smoke and Cloud brushes." ) and have been playing around with them for a couple of hours. There are some really great brushes within these packs and I think I'll get a lot of use from them.

A special mention goes to the Frankentoon brushes (Concept Master Vol 1 - Nature Pack) which are very cool (going to use these a lot), but they come with a colour brush guide AND user guide (tips and tricks) in pdf format. Also included was a colour palette (.afpalette), which made colouring choices so much easier.

How to use the brushes from a non-pro perspective is certainly icing on the cake. Thanks for the extra effort here.