You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection Plugins

It appears that after installing the Nik Collection a problem with a message "Updating Fonts" surfaces with several of the Plugins.  This requires a Force Quit of Affinity Photo.  The problem seems related only with the beta version, the Plugins install and work without issue in Affinity Photo 1.6.7.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Siegfried said:

Hello MEB,

any update on this? It still does not work with the beta version

Thanks

Maybe this will help :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

On 11/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, wtwolf said:

The problem seems related only with the beta version, the Plugins install and work without issue in Affinity Photo 1.6.7.

... Viveza works ok in the current Mac APh retail (?)

Not so in Windows and never has! The image opened in Viveza has to be magnified at least 33% and as much as 100% for accurate colour (depending on image—and is intermittent).

I use Viveza a lot and have no issues with it in Gimp (Partha's Gimp builds include the appropriate .dll's).

Considering they're open source I'm quite surprised Serif haven't picked up on this ... however I'm an end user and realistically have no idea how all this code stuff works :)       

1 hour ago, PedroOfOz said:

Considering they're open source

Not sure that is true any longer, but in any case, they are a DxO product now, and the issues are already explained in the thread @Puck pointed to.  Serif is not going to fix this, this is related to changes Apple made in their development tools, and the current versions of the plugins are not going to work in the upcoming 1.7 versions - DxO will need to update the plugins to work with programs compiled with newer versions of Apple's development tools.  They will probably break for other hosts too at some point as the other hosts update to use the newer development tools.

@fde101 What I'm saying is the Nik plugins work aok in Gimp using the (presumably open source) .dll's that Partha includes in his Gimp builds. The Nik plugins do need to be installed in the default location in order for the .dll's to find them (from what I've read—my set is).

Perhaps the Serif devs would be able to reverse engineer the .dll's to find why the Nik plugins (in particular Viveza) work as expected in Gimp but not in APh! 

I'm referring to the free Google Nik plugins here  ...although I did pay Google US$150.00 for my set :)

Edit: .py not .dll  ;)

19 hours ago, fde101 said:

Not sure that is true any longer, but in any case, they are a DxO product now, and the issues are already explained in the thread @Puck pointed to.  Serif is not going to fix this, this is related to changes Apple made in their development tools, and the current versions of the plugins are not going to work in the upcoming 1.7 versions - DxO will need to update the plugins to work with programs compiled with newer versions of Apple's development tools.  They will probably break for other hosts too at some point as the other hosts update to use the newer development tools.

And as long as this has not happened (I mean updating the plug-ins through DxO) you can use the NIK filters as stand-alone programs. The damage is therefore limited :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.