You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Brush Dynamics [1.7]

Afternoon,

I must say how impressed I have been today with the new functionality added to the Raster Brush Dynamics...Thank you for all the hard work....brilliant!..

Spent some time today creating a new brush set to experiment with the new functionality..Released the set to forum in resources: Vegetation Set 3 for everyone use! destroy! abuse!:)

I came across a few issues but nothing major...no crashes! yet! Drawing/painting smoother on screen overall

Notes:

1. The combined use of the brush dynamics + sub brush menu works well but I had a few problems getting the Sync Size and Sync Spacing checkboxes to be immediately responsive. When adding an additional Sub-Brush and 'toggle/check/uncheck' changes don't appear on the sub brush menu until you return to the parent brush and adjust the size or spacing.

2. Sync Size and Sync Spacing checkboxes can re-activate if you return to parent dialogue box

3. I have had a couple of instances where the new dynamic controller/ramp for brush nozzles became sluggish and was unable to drag the nodes around on the line

4. When you add multiple sub-brushes there can be a slight delay in the activation of the brush...1/2 additional brushes work well and it's a good way to manipulate added nozzles separately (as I found today!) Is there a limit to number of sub-brushes you can add before it starts to slow the operation of the brush?

5. Sub-Brushes>Drawing>dropdown..select options (at current Nozzle; behind current Nozzle; at end of stroke)..works well except when you set 'behind current nozzle'..The thumbnail created in brush menu looks to be the opposite..i.e sub-brush stacked on top.

Would be nice to toggle the sub brushes on/off from list...
Useful to have sync toggles on brush context bar

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 0.2301
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Hi StuartRc,

1. Are you saying that the dialog's brush preview doesn't update after adding a new Sub Brush - it isn't until you go to the General tab that it does? I'll get this passed on. If that is not the issue you are seeing could you do a screen recording showing the issue you are getting please?

2. I've noticed this when changing the sub brush selection - I don't even have to go into the Sub Brush dialog. I'll get that passed on.

3. I've noticed the sliders can get slower if you've got a bigger brush, but this isn't anything new. Do you have an example video you could show?

4. There isn't a hard set limit, as there are many factors that can affect this the brush speed!

5. Do you have a screenshot/brush you can provide that shows this please? As far as I know this just affects when the additional brushes are shown on the document (so shouldn't make a big change to the Brush preview).

I'll also pass on the improvement suggestions with the sub brush/sync toggles! Thanks for letting us know!

Hi Sean,

Thanks for getting back to me...

Regarding 1: Yes sort of..you have to go back to the parent brush and adjust either the size or spacing to get the header (visual section to update)..it did not appear to be automatic...and then go back to adjust the dynamics of the sub-brush..Sometimes I had to go back to the 'sub-brush' and toggle the Sync checkboxes a few times to get it to register. Can be a bit of a pain
They look to be in conflict with each other..where you have to adjust the sync to get to adjust the parent brush settings and vise versa

Regarding 2: I noticed yesterday that with several 'sub-brushes' active....when you toggle between them (selected in list) the sync can get reset. to default i.e. re-selected...even though sync needed to be off so you can adjust the spacing and size of a sub 'brush' but when you go back (out of sub-brush dynamics) it can just turn itself back on! eek!

Regarding 3: Sorry didn't make video for this..should have done...I will set it up when I get back to some testing...It was the nodes on the graph for sequencing additional nozzles as below..where it became difficult to move the nodes around on the graph...seemed to just stall..but it has only happened once so far...

Regarding 4: Yes...I created some brushes while testing the new functionality..they are released into the resources forum Vegetation Set 3
added a couple of screen shots below with regards to appearance and the stacking order in brush panel...Eventually I uploaded 2 independent test brush sets sync and non sync as can get very different results with the brushes depending on how these are configured. (why I suggested adding to context menu in some form...you have to trawl through 2 dialogue boxes to get to them when you want to change the settings)

with the screenshots below:

Thanks for passing on suggestions....

Looking good though overall..... still no nasty crashes! and has so much potential....I like the ability to ultra control...but wow! so much variation available.

NB:

There were a couple of issues with 1.6.5 that I didn't report as Developers changing code base...

a Setting size in brush dynamics to 100% could cause the brush to stop working and the nozzle to disappear

just tested this one:it does occur in 1.7. 
so : Created new brush:adjust nozzles (added and extra one) rotation=100% set size at 100%=nozzle disappears from circle and you cannot paint with it..fixed by changing the graph option

b..Occasionally the brush nozzle would revert to a small black square

but I have not seen the black square yet (fantastic..hopefully fixed!)

Maybe this should be in separate thread but while I am replying:

1. With vector brushes (new textured intensity) on my system at any rate....I cannot see the brush shape in the lower panel...it's just black! bit difficult to adjust start and end positions..:) ..Same result importing 1.6 brush sets and creating a new category+brush in 1.7

1.7 Raster Brush_nosync.JPG

1.7 Raster Brush_sync.JPG

1.7 nozzle sequence.JPG

size at 100.JPG

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 0.2301
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

• Staff
45 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

NB:

There were a couple of issues with 1.6.5 that I didn't report as Developers changing code base...

a Setting size in brush dynamics to 100% could cause the brush to stop working and the nozzle to disappear

just tested this one:it does occur in 1.7. 
so : Created new brush:adjust nozzles (added and extra one) rotation=100% set size at 100%=nozzle disappears from circle and you cannot paint with it..fixed by changing the graph option

Thanks! I've replicated this and will get it passed on to development.

46 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Maybe this should be in separate thread but while I am replying:

1. With vector brushes (new textured intensity) on my system at any rate....I cannot see the brush shape in the lower panel...it's just black! bit difficult to adjust start and end positions..:) ..Same result importing 1.6 brush sets and creating a new category+brush in 1.7

We've already got this one logged so hopefully should be fixed soon :)

3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks! I've replicated this and will get it passed on to development.

We've already got this one logged so hopefully should be fixed soon :)

And thank you!

• Staff
26 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

And thank you!

I might have spoken to soon about the issue with being unable to paint after setting Size and Rotation dynamics to 100%. I find the brush preview does disappear as mentioned, however I can still paint and then the brush preview comes back. If you could record the steps on creating this issue from a new brush that would also help.

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

I might have spoken to soon about the issue with being unable to paint after setting Size and Rotation dynamics to 100%. I find the brush preview does disappear as mentioned, however I can still paint and then the brush preview comes back. If you could record the steps on creating this issue from a new brush that would also help.

It is setting the size at 100%..that instigates it..I just came across it by chance...would not normally set size/pressure at 100%..so it would be for me a rare occurrence anyway..

1. Create new brush...but usually I duplicate a previous brush (much easier as dynamics need less tweaking)

2. Add additional nozzles/change  nozzles for effect

3. Adjust rotation (common 100% [not always case!])

4. To create tapered ends. set size with 'pressure' to 100% graph is usually at slow build up.(concave)

Made this brush today to test....

You are correct it does come back......

size test.zip

Hi guys I spent some time last night playing with this so cool!  I love it! Stuart has pretty much covered the issues I have had with it so far so at this point nothing more to report .  I am going to continue testing though :)

I would like to second the request for the ability to toggle the sub brushes on and off perhaps with a little check box like with layers?

Thank you stuart for the vegetation brushes they were helpful while figuring out just how the subbrushes feature works.

Another suggestion would be a video tutorial added to the already wonderful serif videos to quickly explain how this works and demonstrate the power this little feature has. :)

Edit:  Here is a brush I created that you guys can play with that shows the preview issues.  It is really hard to adjust the baubles sub brush accurately because I don't get a real time preview of how the brush will actually draw so it becomes a lot of trial and error.  It also seems to have issues with spacing and size sync.  I hope this helps

holiday garland.afbrushes

2 hours ago, Angelize said:

Hi guys I spent some time last night playing with this so cool!  I love it! Stuart has pretty much covered the issues I have had with it so far so at this point nothing more to report .  I am going to continue testing though :)

I would like to second the request for the ability to toggle the sub brushes on and off perhaps with a little check box like with layers?

Thank you stuart for the vegetation brushes they were helpful while figuring out just how the subbrushes feature works.

Another suggestion would be a video tutorial added to the already wonderful serif videos to quickly explain how this works and demonstrate the power this little feature has. :)

Edit:  Here is a brush I created that you guys can play with that shows the preview issues.  It is really hard to adjust the baubles sub brush accurately because I don't get a real time preview of how the brush will actually draw so it becomes a lot of trial and error.  It also seems to have issues with spacing and size sync.  I hope this helps

holiday garland.afbrushes

I see what you mean about the spacing. I changed the brush dynamics to directional...getting some odd results now with spacing and size sync active on both sub brushes..seem to be able to control the master in terms f spacing but the size slider increases size of parent nozzle -for a while then scales the sub brushes down..When in sync I would have thought the nozzles/brush should scale proportionally but it does not seem to do that..maybe I messed up!:)

Change the size on brush copy 4 in the edited version

holiday garland_edited.afbrushes

• Staff
18 hours ago, StuartRc said:

It is setting the size at 100%..that instigates it..I just came across it by chance...would not normally set size/pressure at 100%..so it would be for me a rare occurrence anyway..

1. Create new brush...but usually I duplicate a previous brush (much easier as dynamics need less tweaking)

2. Add additional nozzles/change  nozzles for effect

3. Adjust rotation (common 100% [not always case!])

4. To create tapered ends. set size with 'pressure' to 100% graph is usually at slow build up.(concave)

Made this brush today to test....

You are correct it does come back......

size test.zip

Thanks for that! Looking at it, I don't think its a bug. What is happening is that there isn't a pixel layer initially present, so you don't get a brush preview, however if you create a pixel layer before Step 1 you will then get the preview appearing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

RE: Sub Brushes 'Sync' checkboxes do not remember state correctly.

We hope this issue will be fixed in the next beta to be released in this forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for fixing the sync issues...It is working much better now:)

Spent some time experimenting with the enhanced functionality..and produced a new comprehensive 1.7 brush set... added to resources as usual (Project Brush Organics)

again no crashes with latest version..There is a workflow issue when you create/edit lots of sub brushes (takes longer..as expected!)..worked around this by crating brush templates...

I did come across 2 small issues...

A.The Duplicate Brush added functionality in Brush panel works reasonably well but is there anything you could do about the non-sequential suffixes added if you duplicate the same brush >1

B. The duplicate brush on the brush panel and the duplicate button in brush dynamics do not appear to be consistent . On the Brush panel the brush name is remembered +Suffix, in the Brush dynamics you just get ''brush copy xx'

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would say the drag and drop brush feature works really well and is a big time saver..thank you...

Build a new set to test it..

Combined brush set using new 1.7 engine

No Glitches..stalls or crashes..brilliant!

Trying something a bit crazy today....:)

Test combining multiple base textures 

1. I am not sure it is working very well!...doubt many people would try this...:) however...

Testing multiple base textures  by using drag and drop to pull in brushes that already contain a base texture into the sub-brush panel....really to see what kind of results you can get.

But there seems to be a couple of issues...

a. 1 brush +2 patterns (1 in Master/Parent brush + 1 in Sub-Brush)=very difficult to see any pattern enhancements from the sub brush; even with increasing the space of the nozzles or adjusting the size scaling. I was wondering whether to do this is just counter productive and is just being cancelled out..or a base texture in a sub brush is just not very effective 

b. OK attempt to use a sub-brush with 1 pattern and removing the pattern from the master/parent brush panel...works but not as clear as I would have expected.

c. Set nozzle on sub-brush to 1 pixel (to see if interfering with output)..very little change

d. Try something to test if being picked up : Use predefined brush;add sub brush;change sub-brush pattern to solid black (so if being combined=black). 

paint with brush using d= still get master pattern..was expecting a black solid brush...but still get master pattern

e.Try 1 master +2 sub-brushes with base texture pattern= no change looks like only master brush pattern is being used

Does this mean that this just does not work and is by design or is it a glitch?...

Sync size/spacing and blend mode

1 . Just a bit 'odd' this one (video attached..)Sometimes when you toggle the sync size and sync spacing and/or blend mode....then edit the base texture (invert image button) the sync(size+spacing) and blend mode get inverted/reverted.....or switched off if on...

Re-tested with other brushes...has not re-occurred yet!

file attached with 5 test brushes

test multiple patterns 1.7.zip

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.