You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing on 10x15cm photo paper seems to be off centre

I have just downloaded and installed version 1.7.0.174 of Affinity Publisher for Windows Beta but have identified an issue with printing that didn't apply before.

I set AP to print the document on 10x15cm photo paper as usual, with the paper size set to "Defined by driver", but every time I tried to print the page came out with the image off centre by about 1mm.

No matter what changes I made to the design, including changing the original paper size, reducing the print output by a percentage and adjusting different print settings, the only way to resolve the problem was to manually move the design over to one side.

This hasn't happened with previous builds

2018-11-24.png

- Graham

#SeeTechMoreClearly • #WindowsInsider • #EdgeInsider • #Microsoftie
~ Simply and clearly empowering older users of Windows10, iOS, macOS, or Android Devices and AmazonFire Tablets.

Does it work if you change Fit Type to "Fit to Printable"?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

HI Graham H

I don't have a printer that prints to that specific size without just being a standard a4 printerHowever looking at the width and height on you driver setting there is an extra 1mm width and 2mm height. This could be the cause. If you change to custom and set it manually to 150mmx100mm,. does it print centred for you? or as walt says sdoes fit to printable centre it?

You say this is knew to 174, can you confirm it was not an issue in an older build at all?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Walt. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, walt.farrell said:

Does it work if you change Fit Type to "Fit to Printable"?

On the last build of Affinity Publisher it worked perfectly when printed using the "Fit to Printable" option.  I have tried all options this time and it is always off centre.

Hi Chris_K

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Chris_K said:

HI Graham H

I don't have a printer that prints to that specific size without just being a standard a4 printerHowever looking at the width and height on you driver setting there is an extra 1mm width and 2mm height. This could be the cause. If you change to custom and set it manually to 150mmx100mm,. does it print centred for you? or as walt says sdoes fit to printable centre it?

You say this is knew to 174, can you confirm it was not an issue in an older build at all?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try changing the size of the document to 150x100mm but that made no difference. The extra 1mm and 2mm are the quoted page size when the paper size options are set to 10x15cm (4x6in.)  I have tried both and neither work.

I am using my usual Brother DCP-J41100W which will print single or double sided up to A4 on standard or photo papers, or up to A3 single sided copies on plain paper.  It is a very versatile machine. I tried a similar design again in Serif PagePlus X8 and that printed correctly using the paper size set to 10x15cm and "Shrink to Fit" option.  This has only happened with the latest update (and to be sure I even measured the paper I was using too!)

- Graham

~ Simply and clearly empowering older users of Windows10, iOS, macOS, or Android Devices and AmazonFire Tablets.

28 minutes ago, Graham H said:

I did try changing the size of the document to 150x100mm but that made no difference. The extra 1mm and 2mm are the quoted page size when the paper size options are set to 10x15cm (4x6in.)  I have tried both and neither work.

You have tried "both"? Can you clarify what you mean?

10x15cm is not 4x6in, because 10x15cm is 100x150mm, but 4x6in is 101.6x152.4mm.

As they're not the same, which size paper are you really printing on? If you're trying to print on the wrong size paper it's not going to be centered.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I did some investigations, and in previous builds I have successfully printed the design on both 100x150mm and 4x6in paper by using the "Shrink to publication" option.  (Previously in PagePlus I would use the "Shrink to Fit" option which meant I didn't actually need to change the size of the publication either.  

I have also tried two different designs in AP with one "Document Size" as 10x15cm/4x6in and another as the specific size 100x150mm.

I have today downloaded the update of AP to 1.70.192 but the problems continue.

Today I tried four different combinations of printing on 100x150mm paper

Design size: 100x150mm Printer paper size setting: 10x15cm/4x6in (Shrink to publication) 

Design size: 100x150mm - Printer paper size setting: Custom 100x150mm* (Shrink to publication)

Design size: 101x152mm - Printer paper size setting: 10x15cm/4x6in (Shrink to publication)

Design size: 101x152mm - Printer paper size setting: Custom 100x150mm (Shrink to publication)

The result of all of these is as shown in the first attached photo.  Two previous builds of AP produced the correct results whether printing on metric or imperial paper.

*Please note that my printer prints smaller paper sizes vertically so the screenshots show the paper as 150mm x 100mm.  It is always the shorter left edge which is cut off.

IMG_20181203_133256649_LI.jpg

2018-12-03_LI.jpg

2018-12-03 (4).png

2018-12-03 (1).png

- Graham

What physical paper size are you actually printing on?

-- Walt
PC:

I have tried both metric 100x150mm and imperial 4x6" (approx 101x102mm) paper. The example uploaded was 100x150mm which is the photo paper I currently have in stock. 

- Graham

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What physical paper size are you actually printing on?

- Graham

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.