You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing page order

I originally posted this under reporting bugs, as I thought it was a bug, but now I'm not sure. Anyway, nobody has responded, so I thought I'd try posting it here, as it really is a problem for me.

In a previous version I have successfully dragged page thumbnails in the pages column to a new position. I can't make that work in 162 or 174. The cursor changes to the symbol with a dotted rectangle, and the blue line appears beside the next page above or below, and disappears when I go outside the visible area, but the thumbnails do not scroll, and I cannot navigate to the point where I want to drop the page. In effect, I can only move a page one page at a time which isn't practical. I've got 174 running on two Windows 10 PCs, and it won't work on either of them, and I've tried with different files as well. However, my colleague who is also running 174 on a Windows 10 PC can move pages without any problems.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening ?

I can make this work and I can make it fail. To work I have to select the page I want to move (grey rectangle) and then move it successfully to the new place. If I have any other page selected (grey rectangle) I cannot chose another page and move it, it will appear that I am moving it but it will not move.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I can make moving the pages work, but I agree with @Chrisw5 that the page list does not scroll, making it impossible to move a page more than one page below the last, or above the first, page shown in the pages view.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Dragging page in the panel needs to be made to scroll. Can you please confirm that it works on neither Mac or Windows

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Does not scroll on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Dragging page in the panel needs to be made to scroll. Can you please confirm that it works on neither Mac or Windows

Scrolls on Mac. Had to add pages to my test file to check. Should add that it scrolls up and down after a pause, a beat or two at most.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 hours ago, Chrisw5 said:

blue line appears

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

any other page selected (grey rectangle)

In my experience the colored - blue or grey - rectangles are irrelevant for page moves. They do only indicate, which page is going to become selected on double-tap (blue) or which is momentarily visible in the document window (grey). When you move the view in the document window than the gray rectangle in the pages pane jumps synchronously according to the document window view.

To move a page or spread in the pages palette, I do not need these rectangle markers, I can ignore them. I simply click on the desired page (regardless of the gray rectangle) and drag it directly while holding down the mouse button. The blue vertical line will indicate the new position if I release the mouse there.

The delay before the scrolling could be less irritating if the scrolling speed would increase gradually but immediately.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes, we do. However, it seems to control only whether the Pages panel scrolls if you scroll down in the main view from one page to another. It has no effect on scrolling the Pages panel when you try to move pages within that panel.

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Pages panel scrolls if you scroll down in the main view from one page to another.

Ah!, nice feature, I haven't seen yet, Thanks!

So it is even more weird that your page move scroll does not work: because mine in macOS luckily even scrolls on page moves in the pages pane when "Scroll with view" is unselected.

p.s.: which are correct or common English terms: Pages pane | panel | palette ?

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

which are correct or common English terms: Pages pane | panel | palette ?

Yes.

oh... Correct and common for all.

I speak/read/write English only and I have come to realize it is the stupidest language ever.

30 minutes ago, thomaso said:

p.s.: which are correct or common English terms: Pages pane | panel | palette

Generally I've seen panel or studio.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I have come to realize it is the stupidest language ever.

:4_joy: – To feel like that for your mother tongue appears to me even more funny if you can't compare it with another language. I don't expect a language to be intelligent, it should be working, enable to express yourself. English grammar seems at least more flexibel than German.

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

panel or studio.

Studio? Also for one single element, like "the Pages Studio does not scroll"?

26 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Studio? Also for one single element, like "the Pages Studio does not scroll"?

Well, it is activated (shown) by View > Studio > Pages.

And, yes, "the Pages Studio does not scroll" would be a correct English usage. Also, "the pages in the Pages Studio do not scroll" would be correct. (The same would be true if we were to use Panel instead of Studio.)

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

In the 1.7.0.192 release the Pages panel now supports Drag auto-scrolling on Windows (as well as Mac)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon