You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frames connected - Bug report

Hi there.

I hold OPTION and drag two text frames connected. When I release, the connection is inverted. I mean, The "first" frame became the second and vice-versa. Look the images.

By the way, l LOVELOVELOVE the Preview toggle! F10 rules! Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 14.06.51.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 14.07.14.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 14.07.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 14.07.19.png

Those are not text frames, they are picture frames, the diagonal lines indicate this. Ah, I see the text overflow dots, but what the heck are the diagonal lines? I think you may need to post the file so we can take a look. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hm, I can't recognize any change of text positions in your screenshots. Can you tell which words get wrong positions?

And what do you mean by "connected"? How did you connect them?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Those are not text frames, they are picture frames, the diagonal lines indicate this. Ah, I see the text overflow dots, but what the heck are the diagonal lines? I think you may need to post the file so we can take a look. 

:-) I have some empty boxes as crop lines. Sorry. Do you want the file, no problem for me. More: I fixed the problem, changing their position and maintaining the connection. When I drag the new arrangement holding OPTION, the problem didn't happen.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Hm, I can't recognize any change of text positions in your screenshots. Can you tell which words get wrong positions?

"FRANGO E CATUPIRY" should be above the orange box. "130g and the legal text" should be below, in the white area. 

The images order are mixed, but anyway, the left arrange is right. When I drag holding OPTION, the connection changed from top box > bottom box to bottom box > top box.

By connected I mean (forgive my english, I'm brazilian) when you connect 2 text boxes so the content flow from one to another. It's represented by a blue line with an arrow in the middle.
In 2 images I add an ellipse to mark the arrow in the line and a black arrow to show the text flow direction.

Can you still reproduce the problem? if yes, I'd like to get your file to see whats going on.

In my example it works as you want it, – correct?

Yes. In your example, and in other file I'm working, it's all right. But watch the movie attached.
I'm sending you the file. 

connection problem.afpub

This appears magic. I can't find anything which might cause this. In your file I startet to check if there is another frame couple behaving like the one top left – but I could't find any. Than I deleted any object except these weird frames and one healthy couple. After that suddenly alos the healthy one turned to weird. I have two of these magic pairs in the document now (but I can't reproduce them further). I'd not name it a real bug, rather a coincidental, weird data hiccup.

But worth a look inside, might be especially for developers:  magic flow on copy-paste.afpub

44 minutes ago, thomaso said:

This appears magic.

Uh, wow, you have a lot of bad things going on in this.

First you should try and keep it simple. Use one Text Frame.

And use a paragraph return not a Frame Break for separating "TOP" from "BOTTOM".

You also have very weird offsets for the text in both lines.

There is more but I don't have time right now. Sorry.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

You might missunderstand my approach in this sample. It is more an experiment with somehow corrupted objects than a problem to avoid or solve. 

I cleaned the layout from this topics origin, down to the two frames to see what might cause the text flip in AleMellos afpub. 

The offset in the lines is less weird than simply the vertical align setting for each text frame. Also the frame break is typed in purpose to achieve a text flow regardless of line spacing or frame size. Both settings made it easier to play around with these objects. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:19 PM, Old Bruce said:

1. Uh, wow, you have a lot of bad things going on in this.

2. First you should try and keep it simple. Use one Text Frame.

3. And use a paragraph return not a Frame Break for separating "TOP" from "BOTTOM".

4. You also have very weird offsets for the text in both lines.

5. There is more but I don't have time right now. Sorry.

1. :-D
2. Well, indeed. My intention was to complicate to find problems. When working, sometimes I have to break frames (for one reason or another) and using the connection allow me to organize the text and don't retype or copy paste it all. That's why this feature exists.

3. I used Column Break. Not Frame Break
4. In my file, text offset probably is due to font change or just a text size too high.
5. We have time, take your time... ;-) But thanks, anyway

59 minutes ago, AleMello said:

1. :-D
2. Well, indeed. My intention was to complicate to find problems. When working, sometimes I have to break frames (for one reason or another) and using the connection allow me to organize the text and don't retype or copy paste it all. That's why this feature exists.

3. I used Column Break. Not Frame Break
4. In my file, text offset probably is due to font change or just a text size too high.
5. We have time, take your time... ;-) But thanks, anyway

Okay I understand, I find problems without looking for them all the time in real life and in software. But if I go looking for them I find many more that way. Keep up the work.

Chris, I couldn't repeat the problem either. As we say here in Brazil, it's a problem of Exu-Tranca-Rede (like a little devil that blocks the network). :-D Or, as you say in Europe, a leprechaun related problem.

I'll keep you posted if it happens again, ok?

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, Chris_K said:

HI AleMello

Thanks for the file. It is only only something I can replicate in your file, if i take the elements out into a new file it duplicates without changing the text link. I shall get it reported to the development team though

Cheers

Hi. Got it again. File Attached. I dragged both text frames together from left to right, and the content changed position. I used column break after BRIOCHE.

swap connection.afpub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.