You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector brush names

Hi folks,

I've been using Affinity Designer & Photo on PC for two years and both became main apps of my choice for graphic design, drawing illustrations and photo editing. I abandoned Adobe CC and didin't regret my decision! Thanks a lot for all your efforts – at Serif and on the forum – and keep my fingers crossed for a new version to come.

There are really great tools in Designer but I found something that I'd love to find improved someday. When working with vector brushes in Draw Persona it's impossible to identify what brush is selected for a particular vector object. It's not highlighted in the Brushes Panel so finding the right one is a real problem, especially when working with 100+ of very similar looking brushes (eg. Grave Etcher by RetroSupply). I know it's easy to copy attributes from one object to another but I still can't figure out what brush name is selected. It would be great if one of the following is implemented:

- show active brush highlighted in the Brushes Panel when particular vector object is selected or

- show the active brush name in the Brush Properties window (it is actually present when you select particular brush in the Brushes Panel and start drawing – see attached picture A – but if you change object that has another vector brush and open the Brush Properties window (see picture B) the name is gone.

Is anybody experiencig the same and perhaps you'd love to share how you deal with it?

A.jpg

B.jpg

It has been requested long ago, and unfortunately still nothing.

For example:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 months later...

Is there any news on this? I created a logo that needs to be refined, I had to search a long time for the right brush. Now I had to reinstall and the copy I made for the brush ist thus gone. Now I have no clue, what brush is used... This could surely be easily fixed; how come this has been asked for for years and nothing has happend? I'd think this is rather a bug than a feature request... 

Still badly needed, agreed.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seriously someone got to take care of this (for me especially in Affinity Photo). For library with lots of brushes it's almost not usable.

Also here is what will be great: Make there a popup and we can just type in (partial) name of the brush and filter brushes automatically. This is something Photoshop doesn't have and everyone would love to have and that would make Affinity Photo several million times even better.

Happy new year!

Edited by Allan Windmill

On 1/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, Allan Windmill said:

Seriously someone got to take care of this (for me especially in Affinity Photo). For library with lots of brushes it's almost not usable.

Also here is what will be great: Make there a popup and we can just type in (partial) name of the brush and filter brushes automatically. This is something Photoshop doesn't have and everyone would love to have and that would make Affinity Photo several million times even better.

Happy new year!

That's true.  Brush tracking is difficult I suppose for raster based programs.  Corel Painter tracks and shows the last handful of brushes used so that's helpful, but there's no reason why a vector based program can't do it.  Serif's discontinued DrawPlus certainly did it and did it very, very well.  If you clicked on a brush stroke in DrawPlus, not only did it select that brush in the panel, but it also would go on to paint/draw with all the characteristics of the strok you clicked on.  Additionally, it had an option in the brush panel to show only the brushes used in the document.  That stuff was brilliant.  On the surface, the brush tools in DrawPlus and AD look almost identical, but there is a lot of differences in how they work.  DrawPlus was a lot better in this dept.

Just a hunch, but I suspect that the brush presets (which have the names) are never actually selected.  "Selecting" one may actually copy its settings into the active brush, after which the preset itself becomes irrelevant and thus forgotten - this would make the entire concept of a "selected" brush invalid and explain why this is not being done.

A "most recently used brush preset" list should certainly still be possible, however, even if my guess as to how this works does turn out to be correct...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

Yes, I would also very much like to see the handling of brushes improved, particularly so you can easily identify which brush has been used when a curve is selected, in both the brush studio panel and editing brush properties.

Additionally I would also dearly like the option for the brush tool to use the last attributes (including brush type) of a selected object (much like Xara Designer does). This is a real time saver.

For now, what I've done is create my own brush category containing copies of my favourite, most used brushes.

I also frequently copy and paste the brush style from one curve to another, for example:

Select curve
Ctrl-C
Select a new curve
Ctrl+Shift+V

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

Yes please, fix this, Affinity! I’m just getting acquainted with the Pixel Persona in AD, as I am mostly a vector guy, and this is a real productivity killer here, too. Even the smallest change to some of the tool’s parameters (as basic as width) causes the highlight in the brushes panel to vanish. I did a project a while ago that relied pretty much on brushes (both Designer and Pixel personas) and the only reasonable way to manage brushes was to create an individual collection so I could remember which one is for what, but that is not the way to do it!

However, with vector brushes you can always paste properties to a different object like @Jonopen had mentioned – which is a nasty workaround but does the job. Not possible for pixels, obviously.

cheers,
Matt

• 1 month later...

+1. The brushes panel is the weakest panel in the suite right now. It needs an overhaul badly. I can never remember what brush I've used on something, even when I'm still in the middle of using it. I try to get around that by naming each layer after the brush I use in it but that is highly cumbersome and annoying.

And I know I sound like a broken record but I'd also love to be able to see the brush names without hovering the cursor over it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just wanted to ask this question about the name of the brushes, and I saw that it is still not solved.

I've always worked on the ipad version, and the names are visible there, so I think it's a doable change.

While the question of highlighting on the panel, of the name of selected stroke, is absent on both.

Save the forgetful artists, please!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 6:12 AM, Pšenda said:

It has been requested long ago, and unfortunately still nothing.

For example:

I really wish they take it more seriously.

How hard it is to replace brush preview with just names?

This issue is clearly more political than technical. I have to purchase F**king Adobe Photo plan just for using my brushes!

P.S. I just discovered you can hover your mouse over brushes and it will show you brush names rather quickly. So it's really fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to add mark a brush as a “Favourite” ? Or a star rating ?  (in Designer and/or Photo.) 

This seems so very basic yet overlooked for much more complex additions.  
Can we please get ‘ease of use’ issues corrected first. As many other have said here, the old Serif products had many useful things included (like cutout studio, brushes listed and better assets and being able to drag and drop them to save) that the new Affinity programs do not.  
After working with Affinity Designer and Photo now for about a year, I find myself going back and using my Draw plus for many things instead of the new products.  It makes me wonder why I bought the New Affinity versions.  I thought new was supposed to also be improved.  Many times I feel the new Affinity versions are unnecessarily complicated and trying to be too clever for clever sake.
The latest 1.9 update was supposed to be fixes under the hood, so let’s hope the power and structure is there to make these ‘ease of use’ improvements that will benefit everyone! 

1 hour ago, 2989 said:

Is there a way to add mark a brush as a “Favourite” ? Or a star rating ?  (in Designer and/or Photo.) 

You can add a new category alphabetically earlier than other category names, and copy your favorite brushes into it. Something like _fav, perhaps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1