You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node Tool - Delete Nodes variations

Hello!

Has been discussed, I know, but scattered all over the place.

With the Node Tool, it should be possible to delete nodes in these variants:

- Without adapting the neighbouring  tangents - that's the existing behavior. Shortcut could be: left-doubleclick (besides DEL)

- With adapting the neighbouring tangets, so that the curvature is preserved as good as possible (CorelDraw can do this). Possible shortcut: CTRL-left-doubleclick

- With also deleting the neighbouring curve segments. Possible shortcut: CTRL-ALT-left-doubleclick.

Regarding shortcuts:

Choose any combination of mouse pointer and modifier keys you like for node editing, but avoid having to use DEL or other keys wich are harder to reach.

Thanks for considering!!

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping there would be a modifier key added to the node tool to allow deleting a line segment between two nodes. There is a method available now that is time consuming and involved. Many times I create part of a design then realize I want to cut a line to change part of an element. 

I taught Adobe Illustrator for several years before retiring but am still trying to master Designer at the same level. I hope development continues as I plan to stay with it.

If you hold OPTION modifier when deleting nodes, it does the corel-style control handle adjustments to maintain the shape (desktop only as of now).
It works OK, but it's not as refined as Corel's implementation (but it's better than default behavior)

I actually posted a request specifically for the double click/tap to delete. It's a great idea for a currently unused gesture and would save a left hand move to the delete key which feels unnatural.

As or deleting a node and leaving an open curve, like Adobe illustrator does, I don't think Affinity does that... and I don't miss it.

Regarding the delete shortcut: you can set the delete key to any key on the keyboard that you feel comfortable using in the settings menu.  Set it to X and the short cuts will be super easy to reach.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

I signed up the forums specifically to request for another way to delete a node too. :D

this is a great suggestion but there's a catch-22.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:45 AM, TonyO said:

Regarding the delete shortcut: you can set the delete key to any key on the keyboard that you feel comfortable using in the settings menu.  Set it to X and the short cuts will be super easy to reach.

image.png.905caf8b2549385ffa7ed742fbcf1e27.png

My current workaround is binding delete to my macro mouse. Will be looking forward to this feature being added!

On 12/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, TonyO said:

If you hold OPTION modifier when deleting nodes, it does the corel-style control handle adjustments to maintain the shape (desktop only as of now).
It works OK, but it's not as refined as Corel's implementation (but it's better than default behavior)

Hi!
Sounds very good, but how does this work on Windows?

Tried any combination of modifier keys and DEL/BACKSPACE, but nothing happens.

Thanks!

Dang man, you're a masochist!

Just pragmatic. Masochists are those who put up with the long drawn-out, over-hyped, on-again-off-again, compatibility-breaking, Gershwin, Rhapsody, etc., etc., ad nauseam transition from Mac Classic to OS10. That's when I quit kicking against the thorns, well after the significant MacOS advantages had been rendered moot. I still have the pinstripe G4, complete with its DVD-RAM and SyQuest drives. I'll make you a good deal on it.

That's okay, though. We Windows users need you 20% ers to keep buying your stylish Macs, 'cause Microsoft always needs somebody to copy. Otherwise, we'd still be looking at green 80 column letters on black screens. ;-)

JET

3 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

That's okay, though. We Windows users need you 20% ers to keep buying your stylish Macs, 'cause Microsoft always needs somebody to copy. Otherwise, we'd still be looking at green 80 column letters on black screens. ;-)

JET

Untitled.jpeg.e65d577bf0aceb0a7fdde310cd6a6ec6.jpeg

I prefer yellow on green, Max Macs Rule!

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, Tupaia said:

Hi!
Sounds very good, but how does this work on Windows?

Tried any combination of modifier keys and DEL/BACKSPACE, but nothing happens.

Thanks!

Figured... it's CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE under Windows.

However, as TonyO said, the algorithm is not too smart trying to maintain the curvature.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI, here's a screenshot of how sub-objects of a spline/curve in 3ds Max are selected.

As one of only a few applications, it knows the sub-objects Points, Segments (the curve pieces between points), and Splines (everything connected, e.g. letters in a word).

It's super handy being able to select segments, too. They can be transformed, deleted, whatnot.

Since this ain't possible in AD, at least a simple way of deleting points by breaking the curve would be super nice!

Thanks!

1458439172_screenshot3dsMaxsubobjects.png.01c50157c643bea6e0f351afdd6ac181.png

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, Tupaia said:

- With adapting the neighbouring tangets, so that the curvature is preserved as good as possible (CorelDraw can do this). Possible shortcut: CTRL-left-doubleclick 

Its very important functionality for me - saves time. I hope it will be added.

• 1 year later...