You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Licenses, good for how many devices?

I believe its 5 for home use, so 5 PC's or if you buy the Mac version 5 Macs.For commercial I believe its 2 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi PAULRFONTENOT,

Welcome to the forums :)

As can be seen in the Affinity EULA ;

you are permitted:
(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows or Mac OS (dependant on license purchase) that you personally own or control.

We used to limit this to 5 computers, but it appears this is no longer the case!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

We used to limit this to 5 computers, but it appears this is no longer the case!

I think there was a misunderstanding about the Apple T&Cs relating to digital downloads, perhaps confounded by the rules governing ‘Family Sharing’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Thanks for the clarification Alfred, our recently updated EULA appears to be written with Affinity.store purchases directly in mind, with a clause regarding the Apple App Store under the Mac OS section (halfway down the EULA).

Of course you must comply with any restrictions put in place by Apple when installing from the App Store in regards to multiple Macs sharing the same login, or any additional restrictions when using 'Family Sharing', however when installing a .dmg obtained directly from ourselves it appears there is no maximum limit to the number of PCs you can install on under one license, provided they are of course owned and controlled by the original purchaser and they are a 'private individual user' :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I think there was a misunderstanding about the Apple T&Cs relating to digital downloads, perhaps confounded by the rules governing ‘Family Sharing’.

Apps bought through the Mac App Store never had a 5 Mac limit. As best as I can tell, the confusion about that had two sources:

1. Many years ago, Apple sold apps on physical media that came with one of two licenses. One license permitted installing & using the app on a single Mac computer. The other was the "Family Pack" version that permitted installation & use on up to 5 Macs owned by the members of the same family. The software in the box & the installer for it was the same for both; only the license & retail price was different. IIRC, there was no distinction made between commercial & personal use.

When Apple stopped selling any of its apps on physical media, they stopped selling "Family Pack" versions, but "Family Pack" & "Family Sharing" are enough alike that many people confused the two.

2. Apple's EULA for Mac App Store purchases is part of the umbrella "Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions" legal document, a.k.a. the 'iTunes Terms' agreement (because the URL for the U.S. version still has "itunes" in it). That document has different provisions for apps, iBooks, music, etc. It is very easy to confuse the provisions for apps, which do not have a 5 Mac limit, with the provisions for the others that do.

As it is now the updated Affinity EULA for the Mac app versions very closely (& much more clearly!) parallels Apple's own EULA.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 1:35 PM, Dan C said:

Hi PAULRFONTENOT,

Welcome to the forums :)

As can be seen in the Affinity EULA ;

you are permitted:
(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows or Mac OS (dependant on license purchase) that you personally own or control.

I'm currently using an Apple Mac (desktop), but I get the Windows only license. Only link to Apple use is a link to "iTunes" in (7). Now, all my licenses are either iPad or Windows, but have you also altered your stance on "inter-OS" licensing (i.e. whether you use Windows or Mac)?

The more licenses you need (I currently use two on Windows - Photos and Designer - in addition to my separate iPad use also including both apps), the bigger the chances are, that you also own macOS equipped hardware. Is it now also possible to use the Windows license on macOS versions of the Affinity products? I'm certainly not buying a separate license for macOS in addition to my Windows and iPad licenses for both Photos and Designer.

How 'bout it?

• Staff

Hi kfriis :)

Unfortunately our licenses aren't cross platform, you'll have to purchase a separate Mac license if you wish to use Affinity on MacOS, apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry for being slow! Just to clarify, does it not matter if I purchase through Affinity or Apple App Store if I intend to use the software on my iMac or MacBook? I've downloaded the trials / betas direct from here but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Ed

• Staff

No worries Ed :)

That's correct, if you purchase through the Apple App Store you'll just need to sign into the same Apple account on each computer. If you purchase through the Affinity store then you just sign in to your store account to download the software on each computer, I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, PaulW61 said:

If my wife wants to use Photo on her computer, may I assume that as her computer is not under my control and therefore she needs a separate license, even though I have a licensed copy on my computer?

If you do not "own or control" her computer, or if she wants to use it for commercial purposes, then she needs her own license.

In my household, I might make a good case that my wife and I jointly own all our computers, as we do not have separate bank accounts. And that therefore we can jointly use the program on any computers as long as it's not for commercial purposes. (But in particular, my wife would also make commercial use, so we will have two licenses.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

My wife would not be using the program for commercial use. Although we do not have joint accounts, we purchase things from both accounts without concern for whom the items are being bought. These purchases would include computers and software.

I just want to be fair, as the low purchase price is really not an issue.