You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stitching a 360° Spherical Panorama

Hi,

I am a long time user of Serif products. I have just recently purchased Affinity Photo and I am sort of new to the Forum. So forgive me if I have left the Tags section blank. I don't even know what it means.

This is about a 360° spherical panorama.

While I am impressed with Affinity's ability to stitch a linear panorama and also a tiled panorama, it completely fails when it comes to stitching a 360° spherical panorama. Even a completely freeware like Microsoft ICE does a way better job of stitching in less than half the time taken by Affinity. And while MS ICE does leave behind a few flaws that can be rectified in post, Affinity's result is a complete dog's breakfast. See samples attached.

Video tutorials tell me how to edit a 360° panorama, but I can't find a tutorial that shows me how to compile one in the first place. Perhaps I am missing something.

Can someone please help me out here. There are several cheap programs that do the regular stuff. The reason I invested in Affinity Photo was to do some advanced things with reasonable accuracy.

Thanks in advance.

PS: For some reason, the image I compiled with MS_ICE, does not want to upload. I keep getting the prompt: " There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

panorama_affinity_photo.jpg

5 hours ago, BazzaBoy1951 said:

Video tutorials tell me how to edit a 360° panorama, but I can't find a tutorial that shows me how to compile one in the first place. Perhaps I am missing something.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @BazzaBoy1951. :)

I’m afraid you’re not missing anything. Affinity Photo can currently only edit 360° panoramas, not create them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Free: Hugin might be your best bet.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks, Guys,

Looks like I should have done proper research before investing in Affinity Photo. Well, what's done is done.

I have also not found a good tutorial that shows you how to compile a 360° panorama from scratch using Hugin. If there is one, I'd like to know. When I use Hugin, it is all very confusing and I give up half way into it. So far, MS ICE has given me somewhat satisfactory results, but then, there is no manual control in MS ICE.

• 4 months later...

Hello folks :)

I've just tried to do a quick 'New Panorama' process, and wonder if Affinity Photo can only do the panoramas still, or if the 360 panorama feature has been added? I don't have a clean enough tripod situation to take the photos from a single point just yet, but wondering if I will need anymore tools to do so, or if Affinity is the whole trick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2018 at 02:30, Alfred said:

Bienvenue sur les forums Serif Affinity, @ BazzaBoy1951 .:)

J'ai bien peur que rien ne vous manque. Affinity Photo ne peut actuellement éditer que des panoramas 360 °, pas les créer.

Comment faire pour créer le diaporama.... Est-ce que je peut le faire avec l'outil panorama dans fichier /nouveau panorama pour les assembler et créer le diaporama et par la suite l'ouvrir et lorsque qu'il est ouvert on fait calque/projection en direct/projection équirectangulaire 

• 1 year later...