You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

11 minutes ago, JPSports said:

PP was the easiest.

Was? Did PP die?

As far I remember PP does mask only white background areas of images.
InDesign does not mask itself, there you either import a mask with the image and define it as cropping mask - or you use a particular shape of the image frame as mask.

In APub you can simply drag an image layer onto a mask layer to mask the image in the shape of the mask. To create the mask you can use a ready-shape or draw one with the pen tools.

674747123_imagemask1.jpg.2c5895248b40c044ff08c585733af937.jpg          541100849_imagemask2.jpg.9fb56151461abd193852b4040a92b61f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Wow! That's great. I will try it...I appreciate the response....

The problem I have is this

I have a photo of a football.player. With the irregular crop tool. I could take that photo...crop around the areas I didn't want and use it...it didn't have to be white only background...etc.

As.for PP it is dead. It will no longer be upgraded or new versions made. No new enhancements or fixes. Serif has put their energy to a new program..

Affinity.....

I appreciate the help! Here is what I am trying to do. I will use the solution. I just wondered if there was an easy tool like the irregular crop tool.

As you can see, I took the action photos on top and cut the background out around them with the irregular crop tool. It was very simple and I didn't have to waste time with a bunch of steps.

Page 01.jpg

13 minutes ago, JPSports said:

I do not want layers....I don't care about them...

The problem I have is this

I have a photo of a football.player. With the irregular crop tool. I could take that photo...crop around the areas I didn't want and use it...it didn't have to be white only background...etc.

You are using a different product, and to do that successfully you will need to think in some different ways. In particular, layers and masks and clipping are relevant to your problem.

1. Take your photo of a football player. Draw an outline around football player using the pen tool. The result is a Curve layer.
  2. Drag the photo layer onto the Curve layer, nesting it, and the outline you drew will act as a mask, eliminating everything except the football player.

It's just a different way of cropping, and it should be approximately the same amount of work and number of steps as using the irregular cropping tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt! I am trying to adjust my thinking...old dog etc lol!

I can't seem to make it work. Once I figure it out. Is there a way to move the photo inside the box?

On top on the left, there is a football player (blue uniform grey helmet). I drew a box with the pen tool and imported a picture. But I can't seem to move the photo inside.

Below it, you will find the same photo, I drew a quick box and can't seem to nest it inside.

Pls help

Affinity_Master_11-24-2018.afpub

Sorry, @JPSports, but your attached file won't open for me (Publisher says it's been truncated).

I will guess at a couple of things you can try, though (assuming I understand what you're trying to do):

1. In the Layers panel, expand the (Curve) layer by clicking on the triangle to the left of the layer icon. Next click on the image layer that is revealed. Now, select the Move Tool and you should be able to move it within the bounds of the curve you drew.
  2. Or, as an alternative, before nesting the image layer within the curve layer in the steps I suggested before, go to the Menu and with the curve layer selecter, use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame. That will give you some additional capabilities in terms of moving the image within the frame, and with resizing the image if you change the size of the frame.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, JPSports said:

Can you tell me how I can draw a straight line?

I often use them to divide columns or under headings of an article.

Again, this may be a place where "thinking differently" will help.

First, for headings:

• Yes, you could draw a straight line. You could do that with the Pen Tool, for example. Click where you want the line to start, then while holding Shift (to constrain to horizontal, vertical, or 45 degrees) click where you want it to end. Then using the Context Menu adjust the stroke color and thickness.
  • Or, you can use paragraph styles to specify that your headings should have a decoration below them, and specify the characteristics of that decoration. With this approach all your article headings will have the same characteristics, and if you need to make a change you simply change the style definition, or apply a different style, and they all change.

For dividing columns: Again, you could simply draw a line as above. Or you could draw one of them, and save it as a symbol. You can then drag a copy of the symbol wherever you need it, and if you ever want to change it you can change it in one spot, and it changes everywhere you've used it.

-- Walt
PC:

Really this background extracting is something that is usually done in photo editor. At the moment the customary way is either paint a mask or delete suitably feathered background (possibly using special extract tool) and bring photo as PSD to layout app. I assume this is the way it is supposed to happen also in Publisher, and will be easy when hot link to Affinity Photo is working.

• 2 weeks later...

> When I use the pen tool to draw a straight line, it draws if I hold shift key.

Does it draw in yellow, or in blue?  [the Pen tool needs at least 2 points (start/end) set for a line. Just 1 point + drawing does not create a line yet.]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

35 minutes ago, JPSports said:

When I use the pen tool to draw a straight line, it draws if I hold shift key.

But when I let go of the shift key, the line disappears.

Click with the pen tool to define the starting point. Hold shift, and click again to define the ending point.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...