You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm utterly new to Affinity Photo, and am stumped as to saving a photo. Save doesn't appear as an option. If I try closing the file, regardless whether I've made any changes, I get the message: "At least one file is currently being developed. Please complete or cancel before quitting the application." I can see a Cancel button, which means I lose my changes, but I don't see what I'm meant to "complete".

The introductory video suggests the first thing I should do after opening a photo is to do a Save As… Save As… doesn't appear as an option.

I've obviously clueless about this! Please help.

By your description it seems you're in the Develop Persona, perhaps working on a RAW file? You need to be in the Photo Persona. The Save and Save as saves your project file (afphoto). You can choose to just Save if you're working on a Bitmap (JPG, PNG) type file. Be aware, Affinity Photo will not prompt you that it will over-right the file. What I would recommend is selecting from the File Menu, Export and then in the dialog that opens choose what format.

However the warning you get when trying to close the file, pops up in the Develop Persona, because the RAW file needs to be Developed to a Raster (pixel) file.

Here's a link to where you can find about 200 official Affinity Photo Tutorials. They will help understand how to use the program.

Affinity Photo Official Tutorials

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks for your reply, Ron. Very helpful.

I'm aware of the video tutorials, and find them useful. But they are time consuming. For instance the video "Opening and Saving" runs 4 minutes, with no mention that RAW is different. I do see, scrolling down the page with the tutorial links, there's a whole section on RAWs. That's great because I work with them most of the time.