You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph decoration anomaly

I'm laying out a book chapter using two sets of linked text boxes: one for the text and the other for the footnotes. I do it this way not only because automatic footnotes have not yet been fully implemented, but because I feel it gives me the most flexibility in placing the footnotes on the page (this is also how I work in InDesign, BTW). In any case, I've set the rule that offsets the footnotes from the rest of the text by including it as a decoration in my footnote paragraph style. I'm delighted that the option "Combine Identical" hides the rule for all but the first footnote in the text box. This saves me having to turn the rules off where they are not needed (as I have to do in InDesign).

But, whether I have "Combine Identical" selected or not, occasionally the rule gets drawn in the wrong direction (see the attached pdfs). It seems to crop up at random times and in random positions. I'd be happy to send the AP files if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

1-Carter.pdf

2-Pineda.pdf

I noticed first the switch of odd / even pages in your 2 pdfs. The line indent issue occurs on the odd pages only. I can't rebuild your issue but I guess it happens in the left and right intends for the odd pages.

(just curios: Why do you use two styles when you want same look on even/odd pages?)

(as I have to do in InDesign)

not neccesserily. Instead you can use switching styles, for instance with nested styles: one main for the first paragraph (with line), and a second for all following paragraphes (without line).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.