You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APP is crashing for no apparent reason

Hi, 

Publisher is crashing for no apparent reason. Just opening a file and waiting for a while without editing wil also crash the program in time. 

No warning (it just disappears). 

After re-opening a file that did have some changes before the crash wil not give the popup for a file restore option. 

I have the feeling that a big file (1GB) is cousing the crash more rapidly than a small file. But both wil crash. 

I'm using version 1.7.0.174 on a windows 10 machine.

• 2 weeks later...

@Chris_K

I can confirm it also for build 206 on Windows 10.

With 20 pages of photos Publisher is really stable and relieable, but with 30 pages it crashes to Desktop all the time like @huubjonkers described.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

What i noticed is that when i navigate to a page by using de pages pane (double clicking the page or by right clicking and choosing go to spread) the program is more lickly to crash than just by scrolling the canvas. Anyway, the image rich pages are the suspect of crashing the program.

Current file 72 pages with many jpg,s and linked designer and photo files, build 206 on windows 10, i7 with 32gb memory

19 hours ago, huubjonkers said:

Current file 72 pages with many jpg,s and linked designer and photo files, build 206 on windows 10, i7 with 32gb memory

Ok, I got only 16 GB memory and on my system Publisher can only handle 30 pages of that kind.

So it looks like Publisher crashes on low memory. It needs a better handling with that situation.

To continue my project I rasterised all my images. My document has 301 DPI and the images where placed at 900+ DPI. So as a pixel layer now they use less space.

I can now continue working on my project for some more pages I think.

I hope devs see app crashes like this as a high priority issue.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

4 hours ago, Isa said:

Publisher no longer opens on my computer (Windows 10). I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it's still not fine. What can I do to use it?

For clarification: Does it crash opening one specific document or does it not open at all (without any document)?

If it does not open at all I suggest you want to start a new topic as in this one we're talking about a specific problem of too big documents.

what I noticed: When I start up the computer freshly and try to open the large document the program wil crash immediately.
I then restart the program over and over until the file opens (about 5 attempts). In the beginning, the system uses 8 GB of memory. 
With every new start-up after a crash, I have more time to work on the document. In the in the meantime the used memory runs up slowly. 
After about 10 crashes, the system uses 28 GB of memory (thats the max allocated memory as set in the preferences) and the number of crashes are considerably going down.

My photo book has now 41 pages with a lot of images and effects.

It's a 301 DPI document with the dimensions of 38,2 x 19,4 cm.

I build up a page by dragging in up to 8 linked images and place them.

When every image has it's final size I rasterize everything to a Pixel Layer before going to the next page so that my Resource manager is empty after that.

I had no crash since hours of heavy usage doing it this way.

The crashes have something to do with Images.

@Chris_K Just FYI: On the other thread for basicly the same problems I just provided Jon P a copy of my project file to investigate the crashing issues further.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.