You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fx Layer effects - outline - inner glow

I'm using outline and inner glow to make a black/white border; however when the file is flatten the white basically disappears
Am I trying something not possible ? 
I hope the image explains enough
BTW there are only seven birds in that party  ;) . But not all done Ap this time  

_borders.jpg

Why not make two rectangles with strokes set to inside and just have one set at say 10 units in White and the other above it set to 5 units in black, you can make a macro to automate this.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I want to add a 1 pixel border to my image and I find the "enlarge the canvas" or two rectangle technique rather cumbersome, espcially if you want a very narrow border.

At our club, projected images must conform to a certain size, a maximum of 1400 pixels horizontally or 1050 pixels vertically.
For a dark image it is often good to add a narrow (1 pixel) white border to frame the image and help it stand out.

Here's how I go about it using the "Effects > Outline" command.

• Import jpg image into Affinity Photo.
  • Resize to the prescribed dimensions (as above).
  • [Resizing often results in one of the sides being a fraction of a pixel (for example 927.4 pixels)
  • In this case I resize again with the "padlock" symbol unlocked to a whole number of pixels.]
  • Flatten the image
  • Select "Effects" > "Outline" > "Blend Mode - Normal"
  • "Opacity" > 100%
  • "Radius" > 1 pixel
  • "Alignment" > "Inside"
  • "Fill style" > "Solid Color"
  • Set color to taste.

This will result in a 1 pixel coloured brder around your entire frame.

The only issue I have with this technique is that, viewing the full image, even at 100% I don't see the entire border, often only on two or three sides but not all four sides.
If I zoom in to say 150%, the border is there, and it also shows OK when the image is projected, it's only when I view the complete image on screen I can't see it on every side.

This may be the problem the OP is having, but can anyone offer an explanation for this?

On 11/23/2018 at 5:36 AM, ianrb said:

BTW there are only seven birds in that party

Interesting to try to identify the seven different birds! Are these Galahs?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

sorry folks; missed all the above comments --- haven't been getting notifications (??)
I will come back to the heavier comments later ; but to answer John questions -- Australian native Galahs . These can be interesting to watch as they play games and there is an old saying "stop acting like a Galah" or "don't be a Galah" --- have been called that a lot myself!! 

The image is made from to files and one of those has been split --- the walking bird belongs to the top group  . Only two clicks, both were boring so "if ya got it (Affinity) then use it" moment . :1_grinning:

On 11/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, firstdefence said:

Why not make two rectangles with strokes set to inside and just have one set at say 10 units in White and the other above it set to 5 units in black, you can make a macro to automate this.

Thanks for the help. I have tried that; however I don't seem to be able to edit the settings after running the macro (??). I can edit the macro when using a macro of Layer Effects
Like I said; maybe doing it wrong :(
I will get the others after I give them more thought :)

On 11/24/2018 at 6:05 AM, Brian_G said:

I want to add a 1 pixel border to my image and I find the "enlarge the canvas" or two rectangle technique rather cumbersome, espcially if you want a very narrow border.

At our club, projected images must conform to a certain size, a maximum of 1400 pixels horizontally or 1050 pixels vertically.
For a dark image it is often good to add a narrow (1 pixel) white border to frame the image and help it stand out.

Here's how I go about it using the "Effects > Outline" command.

• Import jpg image into Affinity Photo.
  • Resize to the prescribed dimensions (as above).
  • [Resizing often results in one of the sides being a fraction of a pixel (for example 927.4 pixels)
  • In this case I resize again with the "padlock" symbol unlocked to a whole number of pixels.]
  • Flatten the image
  • Select "Effects" > "Outline" > "Blend Mode - Normal"
  • "Opacity" > 100%
  • "Radius" > 1 pixel
  • "Alignment" > "Inside"
  • "Fill style" > "Solid Color"
  • Set color to taste.

This will result in a 1 pixel coloured brder around your entire frame.

The only issue I have with this technique is that, viewing the full image, even at 100% I don't see the entire border, often only on two or three sides but not all four sides.
If I zoom in to say 150%, the border is there, and it also shows OK when the image is projected, it's only when I view the complete image on screen I can't see it on every side.

This may be the problem the OP is having, but can anyone offer an explanation for this?

Thanks for the time to post all that -- I have the problem of not seeing the border all round also
Been fiddling around  for too long to find the how and why --- the shrink happens when the file is rasterize and  "Preserve FX" is not clicked or when flattened. 
It would seem the better way is save back to Lr as tiff with layers >then open again with Lr adjustments >save 
I also have a few Lr export presets that work also to convert psd/tiff files to jpg files of various sizes >the psd/tiff file and sometimes the original raw can be deleted . Did I say most of my photos and edits these days are basically for something to do and perhaps inspire a few less experienced  to have a go. 
I like a thin b/w border as that will give a separation from any or most backgrounds the image may be viewed on.

Maybe something for Ap whizkidz to look into although I'm sure there are more important issues on the board  

On 11/23/2018 at 6:42 PM, HVDB Photography said:

Check it setting the view to 100%  (CTRL+1)

That was an interesting idea; sort works but then it sort of does not 
LOL--- it's only a boarder --- what's in the middle should be a little more important :)

5 hours ago, ianrb said:

Thanks for the time to post all that -- I have the problem of not seeing the border all round also
Been fiddling around  for too long to find the how and why --- the shrink happens when the file is rasterize and  "Preserve FX" is not clicked or when flattened. 
It would seem the better way is save back to Lr as tiff with layers >then open again with Lr adjustments >save 
I also have a few Lr export presets that work also to convert psd/tiff files to jpg files of various sizes >the psd/tiff file and sometimes the original raw can be deleted . Did I say most of my photos and edits these days are basically for something to do and perhaps inspire a few less experienced  to have a go. 
I like a thin b/w border as that will give a separation from any or most backgrounds the image may be viewed on.

Maybe something for Ap whizkidz to look into although I'm sure there are more important issues on the board  

I think not being able to see the border on all four sides is a display anomally.
As I said, if I zoom in, the border is there, and it displays correctly when the image is projected, which is the main objective.

Are you adding the border to the "Inside" or "Outside" (the default) of your image?
If I leave it on "Outside" I don't see a border at all, so presumably I would need to increase the document size in order to make it visible? which seems a bit counter-intuitive.
If I add an outside border I'd expect it to become part of my image and the size should adjust automatically.
I've never tried adding the border "Outside" the image.
I always choose to add the border "Inside" and then it doesn't affect the overall image size, which must meet the contest requirements.

A thin (1 pixel) "Keyline" helps most images stand out from their background.