You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to restore my work from AD 1.7.0.3 Beta to AD 1.6 Stable (version storage ?)

Hi @raz,

I think that's not possible. When you overwrite a file with Affinity Designer beta, it won't open in the current stable version of Designer anymore because it was edited with a newer version of the app. That's why there's always a clear warning inside the beta version download threads. From the opening post of the current AD beta thread:

On 11/20/2018 at 4:12 PM, MattP said:

Designer 1.7 is a significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version. Files edited in this version will not be backwards-compatible with the shipping 1.6 version. As such, we would not recommend using this 1.7 version for critical or production work at this stage.

Cheers
kaffeeundsalz

• Staff

Hi Raz,

Unfortunately what Kaffeeundsalz has said is true. Not only is there a warning from Matt in the beta thread, but there is also a warning when opening a 1.6 file! Unfortunately it is not possible to revert a AFDesign file to get it opening in 1.6.

• Staff
10 minutes ago, raz said:

Yes I know the warnings but

Unfortunately my kids open some works with ad1.7 beta and stored in 1.7 .

Is it possible to open in 1.7 stable?

:(

Eventually we will have a 1.7 stable release where they should work in, but that won't be until the end of the beta process!

Hi @raz! There are two things you might want to consider to avoid problems like this one in the future:

1. Implement a good backup strategy like Time Machine that can 'turn back the clock' to allow you to recover earlier saved versions of you documents.

2. Create separate user accounts for your kids on your Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think it's worth mentioning that it's likely that no-one can absolutely 100% guarantee that the stable 1.7 version will be able to open and use all documents created using the beta versions of 1.7.
New features in the betas may be dropped from the stable version - for whatever reason - and some features may be implemented in ways that make beta-created documents incompatible with the stable version.
It's quite possible that you will be able to open a beta document in the stable version but, when you do, be sure to check that everything is exactly as you expect before continuing with the document; otherwise you might get some unexpected issues.

3 hours ago, raz said:

but i advice them to take backup the work file

That is fine if they always remember to do that and they are backing up to a separate drive. If not, since drives can fail at any time with no warning, all of everybody's work could be lost.

3 hours ago, raz said:

no user restriction for  :17_heart_eyes:Kids  :)

The advantage of individual user accounts is that each user can set everything up however they want without it affecting anything other users want in their setups. That applies not just to the Affinity apps but to every other app as well, including Finder. It does not have to restrict anybody from anything.  

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.