You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export "Current Page" (...)

Export "Current Page" appears to export page 1 always.

I have a 6-page document with facing pages, means 4 spreads:  

1  |  2-3  |  4-5  |  6

When I hit, in pages pane, page 5 then it shows up in the document window and in the pages pane its spread gets a gray border. Then in pages pane I hit page 5 again and now it gets a blue border.

Now I export "Current Page" as pdf. – But it results in page 1, not page 5 as expected.
Whereas when I export "Current Spread" it perfectly results in p 4-5.

A bug in "Current Page" on export of facing documents?
p.s.: may I force Publisher to remember my recent page export settings?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi thomaso

When i select current page it exports the page i have currently selected without issue. The page in view is not always what is classed as the current spread. You can tell what is selected as the current spread by what number is displayed in the lower left corner

If you are still not able to get a single current page would you be able to attach some screenshots or video of your exact steps so I can see what may be occurring here?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

2 hours ago, Chris_K said:

When i select current page it exports the page i have currently selected without issue. The page in view is not always what is classed as the current spread. You can tell what is selected as the current spread by what number is displayed in the lower left corner

Just a comment on the side of this. I have read alot of feedback that mentions finding out what page/spread you are on by looking at what number is displayed in the lower left corner . 

Due to the high amount of comments like this form the beginning, would it be possible to make the active page/spread much clearer, say a better colour than the light grey border at the moment and / or moving the page number to a more dominant position

1 hour ago, SteveP110 said:

Just a comment on the side of this. I have read alot of feedback that mentions finding out what page/spread you are on by looking at what number is displayed in the lower left corner . 

Due to the high amount of comments like this form the beginning, would it be possible to make the active page/spread much clearer, say a better colour than the light grey border at the moment and / or moving the page number to a more dominant position

Agreed - anyone know what the blue highlight actually means? Seems like a red herring.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

17 minutes ago, iaing said:

Agreed - anyone know what the blue highlight actually means? Seems like a red herring.

The blue herring highlight is for a set of actions; Duplicate this page/spread, Delete this page/spread, Set Margins for selected Spread, and on.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The blue herring highlight is for a set of actions; Duplicate this page/spread, Delete this page/spread, Set Margins for selected Spread, and on.

Wanted set 'Thanks' AND 'HaHa' on that one but couldn't. So the page is selected without going to it, fair enough.

One thing I find odd is that if you manually scroll down through your document, the current page number (bottom left) doesn't update to where you actually are, but that's kind of off the original topic of the post, might start a new one.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

4 hours ago, iaing said:

manually scroll down through your document, the current page number (bottom left) doesn't update to where you actually are

It reflects the set of layers displayed in the layers palette; if you create or select something on one of those pages then it will update.

Chris_K, thanks for your reaction. Unfortunately, the file no longer exists in its status from my post last Friday. Good news: I can not reproduce the problem with this or any other documents. So it seems to have been a temporary hiccup of application or this .afpub.

p.s: I have no problem at all identifying the page number I'm working on. Since the number in the lower left corner is not necessarily current (although it is updated immediately as soon as an element is selected), I orient myself in the pages panel, which synchronously shows the gray border around the spread in the main window.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi thomaso

If you are still not able to get a single current page would you be able to attach some screenshots or video of your exact steps so I can see what may be occurring here?

Thanks

@Chris_K I just run into this issue again, now with "current spread" (not current page). I had to export several times the "current spread" to really get it into the exported PDF.  Then I noticed once in the moment I released the menu item "File" > "Export..." that the page numbers shown in the lower left corner suddenly switched to different numbers without any change of the shown spread in the main window. The numbers corresponded to the exported spread but not to those in main window. In pages pane still the wanted pages had their gray rectangle.

When I move in main window the spreads view around then the gray rectangle in pages pane moves synchronioulsy but the page numbers displayed in the lower left corner of main window remain unchanged. According to your quoted description it's not meant to be like this, right? – See video (btw: can I reduce the displayed video size in the forums window?):

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I would propose that there be two outlines on the pages panel - one to show which page/spread is active, and another to show the selection within the panel. 

I think the gray and the blue rectangle exactly do this. The gray shows the spread in the main window. If you single tap another page in pages pane, that gets a blue rectangle – without influencing the gray and the main window yet. Now you may move the blue marked page around, still without change of gray frame and main window. Only if you let go of the blue then this side/spread gets the gray rectangle and moves into the main window.

However, this is not my problem. I'm more interested in a trustworthy "Current" setting in print or export options !

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Indeed, the gray shows what is in the main window, rather than the current/active page. 

What does make a page current/active? I'd say it is the page I am working on = the one I might have selected an object =  the page in the main window. – Or, vice versa: in pages panel I can double-tap a page = make it the current/active page = show it it the main window.

Or is it more complex and different again and the current page can be a page I neither can see in main window nor is gray marked in pages pane?
If yes, for what use?

For me, the main window page and the gray marked page in page panel are always in auto-sync.
Different to the page number shown in the lower left corner of the main window.

Scrolling the window to see another page does not make that page current, but does shift the gray border to that page.

The current page is the one with the number showing in the lower-left corner of the window and whose layers are shown in the layers panel.

Double-clicking a page in the layers panel makes that page current, as does selecting an item on the page.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:05 AM, Chris_K said:

The page in view is not always what is classed as the current spread. You can tell what is selected as the current spread by what number is displayed in the lower left corner

Ah, I guess I got it know. Thank you for patience! – I have thought it would be kaputt here because I understood "current" and "active" to be related to me and my current action. In the meaning of "present", "actual", "relevant", "of that time" ...

But "current" here also can be related to a page which I recently used but do not use anymore because I am scrolling through the pages and e.g. reading on another else. That is sort of unusual understanding of "active" and "current", imho.

This morning I took the bus 57, then I left it and went for a walk. – So I wonder now:  Is bus 57 still my current location?

Can you possibly try to explain for which usage this understanding of "current" is created in AFPub? How can I use it?
The print option could also use the main window page or the gray marked spread in pages panel as "current", right?

Scrolling in the window should not impact the selection.

If you leave an object selected on a page and scroll to see another page then causing this to change which page is active might impact the selection?

That is just an educated guess as to one possible reason for this to behave the way it does.

Note that selecting an object on the page you see is enough to switch to that page as being active.

Yes, that could be a use for this. – e.g.:

I work in a 300 pages book on page 48 and just jump for a second to page 220 to check a wording. And to jump back from p.220 I do not have to remember the 48 because I can read it in the lower left corner and so I scroll + click in the pages panel to come back to the active page so easily thanks this understanding of "current"? Yes, this might be possible.

However, back to the topic: but to export the "current" page does not have this in mind, does it?

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

However, back to the topic: but to export the "current" page does not have this in mind, does it?

On 11/26/2018 at 10:05 AM, Chris_K said:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @fde101 !

After all, this topic is a matter of syntax and semantics:

Whereas "current page" is a fix and common term in UI and programming, APublisher seems to redefine its meaning. "A rose is a rose is a rose" might be a known expression, verbally and visually. But it is not for the APubs export options.

"Current page" conventionally, usually, commonly describes the currently displayed page.
For instance ...:

Instance Property
   currentPage
   The page currently displayed
by the image representation.
   https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nspdfimagerep/1528846-currentpage

Instance Property
   currentPage
   Returns the current page number being printed.
   https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsprintoperation/1534881-currentpage

So it appears to be a bug of kind-of misusing words which confuses.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

the currently displayed page

The problem with that definition is that it remains vague; you can simply scroll to see the other pages which means that in effect ALL of the pages are always displayed (we are just seeing a portion of the display of all pages when looking through a window of limited size) so all of them could be considered current at the same time.

Even if you redefine it to be the "page that currently fits within the window" you can still have more than one to choose from:

901967223_ScreenShot2018-12-19at20_56_58.thumb.png.6f0e501ec5ef97e9a9910552207a83dc.png

53 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The problem with that definition is that it remains vague;

What about the middle as usual and common to solve this easily?

As you already wrote previously, this current Affinity-problem consists of distinguishing between current and active. For what purpose, except for extraordinary rarities? Momentarily APub tries to define "recent" equal to "current".

On 12/10/2018 at 7:52 PM, fde101 said:

I think it needs to show the active page instead. 

In practice there is no such difference between active and current.

Your screenshot says you expect the current page to be visible in it somewhere. Agree. But APub behaves differently: in APub's understanding, you can see pages 1 - 20 in main window, but page 327 as "current" just because you last worked on it. May be hours ago. Not current any more at all. – That is the bug.

48 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Your screenshot says you expect the current page to be visible in it somewhere.

In this case I zoomed out to show all pages, so it would clearly be visible when all pages are visible, yes.

49 minutes ago, thomaso said:

in APub's understanding, you can see pages 1 - 20 in main window, but page 327 as "current" just because you last worked on it. May be hours ago.

Correct.

Not current any more at all.

Not correct.  Visible and current are two different things.

That is the bug.

Nope, not a bug.  It is working as designed; whether the design makes sense or you agree with it are different topics.

If you would like to see the design changed, that is a feature request, not a bug report.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It is working as designed; whether the design makes sense or you agree with it are different topics. If you would like to see the design changed, that is a feature request, not a bug report.

Isn't every bug working as designed until it becomes redesigned? What makes a bug-design become redesigned?

For instance:

1. you are lying.

2. you are designed to lie.

3. so as not to lie you do what?

30 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Visible and current are two different things.

That's the question. And that's the bug.

Do a search for "currentpage" – and wonder about its meaning, its usage, its common understanding ...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.