You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem copying text then pasting into BBedit file.

I am seeing a problem copying and pasting text between Publisher and BBedit.
Am I doing something stupid in BBedit?

Does anyone have some help they can give me?

If I copy some text out of a document produced and open in Affinity Publisher Beta both previous and latest versions I can paste the text into a textedit document.

The same copied text will not paste into a BBedit document.
It is as though I am pasting null text as any selected text to be pasted over is removed.

Exporting the Publisher document as a pdf, I can then copy the same text from the pdf using Preview and paste it successfully into a BBedit document.

Hi @julk, I get the text but just one long line and a ? at the end. Definitely get text just no Paragraphs. I am using 11.6.8 BBEdit.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the reply, good to know it can work.

I am using the latest BBedit which is still not letting me paste from text copied out of Publisher beta.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but copying and pasting the same text works from a pdf export from the Publisher document so I will use that route.

46 minutes ago, julk said:

I don’t know what I am doing wrong

As you can copy from Affinity and paste into textedit you are probably not doing anything wrong. It sounds more like a BBEdit bug.

Edit: or, if Affinity is providing several different formats in the clipboard, perhaps Affinity is doing something wrong in the version that BBEdit choose to use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

BBEdit uses 000A as a return whereas Affinity publisher uses 2029 which is a "paragraph separator (• may be used to represent this semantic unambiguously)" From unicode's site. The problem is that @julk is getting no text in BBEdit, it may be that his is the latest and is 64 bit whereas mine is 32 bit. So yes it may will be at the BBEdit end where the problem is. Also there is the matter of that ? that I see at the end of the text which is a null character.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

It also happens to me with copying-pasting from AfPub into Firefox, f.i. into this forums text field or a browsers search or url text field. Whereby it works with an intermediate step in a text editor. Not a big problem but unusual.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Have you tried to paste your text to Text Edit instead of BBedit? I doubt it's a Bbedit issue. I have regularly faced issues when trying to copy & paste text from Affinity apps to any other applications. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. Copying from an exported pdf has also been my workaround.

15 hours ago, thomaso said:

It also happens to me with copying-pasting from AfPub into Firefox, f.i. into this forums text field or a browsers search or url text field. Whereby it works with an intermediate step in a text editor. Not a big problem but unusual.

I can paste successfully from Publisher into Firefox (e.g., in this forum) on Windows, but all the text comes in as one long line, even when it's multiple paragraphs in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I can paste successfully from Publisher into Firefox (e.g., in this forum) on Windows, but all the text comes in as one long line, even when it's multiple paragraphs in Publisher. 

I will wager that it will be the unicode character 2029 which is a "paragraph separator" used by Publisher causing this.

I contacted support in BBedit and they came back with a reply which suggests to me that Affinity have some work to do to make Aff Pub fully compliant so that the copy and paste functions will work for us all. 

Here is the relevant response,

Upon examination, I observe that Affinity Publisher is putting both 'public.utf8-plain-text' and 'public.utf16-plain-text' content types on the clipboard; however, it is populating the latter while leaving the former empty, and that is not appropriate:  if an app _provides_ both types then it should also _populate_ them both (and since one can represent the same text in UTF-8 and UTF-16, there's no impediment to doing so).

So, this discrepancy is responsible for why nothing happens when you attempt to copy text from Publisher and paste it into BBEdit, and I hope you find this info helpful.

How do we get Affinity to work on fixing this problem?

24 minutes ago, julk said:

How do we get Affinity to work on fixing this problem?

The creation of this topic will (as I understand things) have also created a ticket in Serif's bug tracking system for Publisher.

That's about all we can do. Prioritization of the actual work is entirely up to Serif. It would be good to see a response here from a staff member, but they may be running behind on such responses.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.