TonyO

Pen Tool ends lines randomly while drawing shapes

The pen tool is prematurely ending lines while drawing. When choosing the tool and tapping out a shape, sometimes the pen tool just starts a new line for no apparent reason. This happens all the time. I'm using the Apple Pencil in the screen grab attached, so this should all be pretty precise.

I'd say it happens alot more with apple pencil than touch input (probably 50% more often), but it still happens so often that it's making the experience frustrating. This is not an issue on desktop at all. 

**oops, can an admin move this over to the bugs section? my bad**

Yep. Just tried to open a brand new document. Made the pen a normal outline width and tried the same thing again. You can see where i circle in the video that the pen is ending lines midway through shape creation.  I have the 2018 12.9" ipad with apple pencil 2 if that makes any difference.

And this is happening all the time. It's almost making the pen tool unusable.

Pen width and zoom levels don’t matter at all, this happens when there’s no outline and zoomed in or out. Also doesn’t have anything to do with palm rejection, I was tapping the pencil with these lines without touching the screen with my fingers or hand.

This also happens sometimes with touch input but not as often.

@Lee D  After doing some digging i find that the issue may be with the touch radius around each node.

I have touch for gestures only turned on in settings, but each node still appears to have a wide "touch radius" around it  meant for imprecise finger input that sometimes deselects the node when trying to plot another node really close to it.

As you can see in the video, im trying to draw a point close to the second point, i tap 3 times before i get far enough away from the second node to plot a new one.

On the 3rd node, you can see when i try to plot another node close, the node sometimes turns from blue to white when i tap, if it's white on my next tap further away, it will start a new line.

My theory is that even with touch for gestures only turned on, there is still a wide touch radius around each node that acts as a node selection area for a finger, which is why i cant draw another node really close to the previous one. Instead, my input ends up selecting and deselecting the previous node, not drawing a new one.

I would suggest that with touch for gestures only turned on, it would be a good idea to tighten the touch radius around each node closer to the desktop mouse selection radius on the desktop, since the apple pencil is as precise if not more than a mouse pointer, and doesnt need a wide selection radius area meant for a fat round finger.

Just a theory, maybe worth testing. Hope that helps.

I'm hitting this issue as well. 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:30 AM, TonyO said:

I have the 2018 12.9" ipad with apple pencil 2 if that makes any difference. 

I have the same hardware.  For some reason a number of apps have had to be updated to work right on it, so I would suggest trying to recreate on this hardware.

Glad to have found this thread as the behavior is really crazy-making.

P.S. Could someone fix the topic title to make it easier for others to find this topic?  Thanks!

On 12/1/2018 at 7:21 AM, TonyO said:

My theory is that even with touch for gestures only turned on, there is still a wide touch radius around each node that acts as a node selection area for a finger, which is why i cant draw another node really close to the previous one. Instead, my input ends up selecting and deselecting the previous node, not drawing a new one.

This has been complained about many times. Unfortunately no improvements have been made yet. I think Serif have a preference for the app being biased to 'finger' drawing, not pencil. If this is the case I think it is a very bad decision as pencil is no longer restricted to iPad Pro.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

2 hours ago, point said:

P.S. Could someone fix the topic title to make it easier for others to find this topic?  Thanks!

Fixed the name a bit, haha. This is still messing with my workflow a bit but lately not as much since I’ve been using outline pressure for lines... but that’s when the problem with outline stroke rears it’s ugly head.

Affinity is still in its 1.x stages, so some hiccups are expected, hopefully these are ironed out for 2.0.