You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numbered lists

2 hours ago, Chrisw5 said:

I've got a simple mumbered list - easy. However, I want to align the numbers as if they were on a right tab stop, not left, and can't find a way to do that. Can it be done ?

There are alignment buttons to the right of the Tabstop field in the Paragraph panel. You'll need to set the first line indent to position the right edge of the list. (The Tabstop entry affects the position of the following text.)

Dave, sorry, but I'm still struggling with this. The workaround works perfectly, but I can't get the "proper" solution to work.

When I create the numbered list, it doesn't create any tab stops in the tabs field of the Paragraph panel. I can create tab stops after I've created the list, and I can move the text about without any problems. I can move the numbers, using the first line indent, but I can't see how I get it to "position the right edge of the list."

I just tried that and that option doesn't seem to work.

I created a new document (Mac version 174) and added a text box to it, then set a numbered list and created 10 items.

I selected the entire list and tried using those alignment options and they seem to be having no effect.

Dave, thanks for the response. I was definitely looking in the wrong place. So much to learn, but worth it. However, I'm afraid I'm with fde 101, clicking on the left, center, and right align buttons has no effect on anything in the list - numbers, or text.

By the way, did you get the pdfs re embedding, I sent you ?

1 hour ago, Chrisw5 said:

Dave, thanks for the response. I was definitely looking in the wrong place. So much to learn, but worth it. However, I'm afraid I'm with fde 101, clicking on the left, center, and right align buttons has no effect on anything in the list - numbers, or text.

Did you change the first-line indent as I wrote in my first message?

1 hour ago, Chrisw5 said:

By the way, did you get the pdfs re embedding, I sent you ?

I hadn't noticed any PDFs on Friday, and I've not been to the office since. In fact, I'm going to be out of the office for a few weeks now, so I'd suggest you talk to someone in customer support rather than myself.

Dave, like Chrisw5  in this align numbers desire I also can't experience an effect in the 3 buttons, too. I did set a first line indent in various situations: with the text cursor placed in the first line, with all text selected and also with just the black arrow cursor selected.

Also I added an additional tab in the tabs field before the bluish L symboI. These additional tabs appear as symbols in the text frame in front of the numbers as expected but I can't manage them to have any influence.

Toggling the three buttons (right of the tabs field) seems to have no effect at any time during this various actions – exept that it occasionally made the additional tab disappear (delete) from the tab field and the text frame.

p.s.: have a good break-sit or holiday or just time!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Dave, thanks for the responses again.

So, using the text ruler, I moved the top triangular first indent marker to the right, and the numbers went with it. I then clicked the right align button, and the numbers flipped to the left hand side of the first indent line, properly aligned to the right. Success, so I guess I've finally got there. Many thanks for your help, as I would never have worked that out by myself.

I think you'll understand, if I say that for software that in all other respects is absolutely amazing, that process is unintuitive, and a bit clunky :-)

I'll follow up on the pdfs, in your absence.

Interesting... the interface is rather confusing.

The tabstop property itself refers to the second tab stop, but the alignment controls right next to it refer to the first tab stop.  Deciphering the way they are placed right next to each other is not very conductive to the maintaining of one's sanity.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:41 AM, MickRose said:

I couldn't do that using the text ruler but it does work for me using the bullets & numbering panel.

Thanks MicRose. To see it done did inspire me to find it out. But, honestly, your hint quoted above and your screenshots indeed both helpful and confusing, too. Because a.) I was able to st the tab for numbers in the text-ruler and b.) the tabstops in your textruler at ca. 50 and 40 are - for the shown text frames - irrelevant.

In my experience the workflow is this:

1. Set the "First Line Indent" to define the right boarder/position of numbers + dots.
You either set it ...
... graphically in the text ruler (the triangle from above) ...
... or numerically in 'Paragraph' pane > 'Spacing'. Both reflect each other.

2. Set the left edge/position of the list items (the "text") with a numerical entry in 'Paragraph' pane > 'Bullets and Numbering' > 'Tabstops:'.

1511514211_numberedlisttabs-1.jpg.ab7ed4e14dc07cceefa472e00f956ca5.jpg

That's it. Actually.

Optional: If your list items include line breaks, then you set another tab, either in "Spaces" or in the text ruler. (probably the same as in 'Tabstops:"

1180524237_numberedlisttabs-2.jpg.d583dd54bfc6cd518b1a0546da60ab28.jpg

On 11/27/2018 at 2:34 AM, fde101 said:

... the interface is rather confusing.

Agree.

For instance the 'Tabstops:' in 'Bullets and Numbers', because they do neither appear in 'Paragraph' pane > 'Tab Stops' nor in the text ruler.

Also confuses me that I may simply add a Tabstop BEFORE the lightblue Layer icon (representing the number) in 'Text:' of 'Bullets...' – but it does not work at all.

And, if I may place a tabstop in this field, it confuses that I can't switch them from left to right via control-click + context menu, like in textruler's tabstops.

According to the tab which I may place BEHIND the Layers icon (and its dot), I would expect in this UI field to find end edit both tabs, one for the numbers, second for text. But, actually:

Wouldn't this be the expected GUI? :

1627024651_textrulerrightlefttab.jpg.c86337e1242b68882a99be841b7005f3.jpg

All list indents as tabstops (in the ruler and in 'spaces').

Hm, somehow the GUI of the auto-list function does not seem to have finished yet. I'm curious what happens when the "More ..." button will become activated.