You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t see text

I guess it’s my lack of knowledge but this happens once in a while. I add a text layer but cannot see any text. I drag the layer to the top or create an entire layer for it, but no. It doesn’t appear. I guess I have touched into some button I shouldn’t but cannot figure it out what that would be. Any ideas, anyone? (And the layer isn’t set to invisible, of course)

This may be a silly suggestion, but had you previously altered the colour of your text such as maybe white text, this will carry over when you make a new text box, just check that your text is reverted to black on white first?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Not in this illustration at least, but I think I’ve experienced that settings have carried over from a previous illustration, which I think it should not. Anyway, as I don’t have much time, I painted the question mark I needed, but I took a screenshot of it with a text box and the settings for the text. Perhaps it can give a clue... (Hm, couldn’t just paste it here. Need to save it first. Bummer)

D74F6344-8AB0-47E8-8B5D-3536DB761055.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Wilfred Hildonen said:

Not in this illustration at least, but I think I’ve experienced that settings have carried over from a previous illustration, which I think it should not. Anyway, as I don’t have much time, I painted the question mark I needed, but I took a screenshot of it with a text box and the settings for the text. Perhaps it can give a clue... (Hm, couldn’t just paste it here. Need to save it first. Bummer)

Assuming you have the text layer above the blue rectangle layer (as that will cover/hide your blue text). Check under ,positioning to ensure you haven,t set Horizontal scale to zero. That will make text disappear.

If that isn't the problem perhaps upload the afdesign file and someone will check to see if it is a setting or positioning error.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Perhaps you meant the highlighted text box when you mentioned the blue rectangle? Anyway, I checked the horizontal scale and it wasn’t set to zero. If it had been, it would have meant that a setting from a previous illustration had been carried over to this which shouldn’t happen, I think. But anyway, here’s the file. 

debatteckning .00-2018.afdesign

@Wilfred Hildonen It appears that you have dragged the text object horizontal node in the wrong direction, hiding the text. Drag it to the left as shown in screen capture and missing question mark should reappear.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Yes, that was it! But I cannot understand how that would happen. Well, the reason it might have been turned the wrong way now, is perhaps since I added the question mark again, just for the sake of demonstrating the issue, and then I probably did move the container accidentally - but I thought that when you add a text, the container would be resized automatically so the text would appear. But in this case it clearly didn't, because the question mark was never visible. 
Is there an easy way to reset tools without resetting any preferences?
In some cases, like in this, I start anew using the same "template" you might say, for each time I need to make a new illustration named "debatteckning", but perhaps that is why some changes are transferred from a previous illustration to a new one. But if I just could reset the tools when I start a new one, that could be avoided. 

Not something I have considered before. Maybe someone else has reached experience and can help.

Perhaps something useful here?

07B0029C-9F7E-4318-97B4-CCE81D625038.png

Sorry for the late response. Lots of work, but yes, it was definitely something useful there! At the very end of it. That was what I was looking for and which I need to remember when I start a new illustration based on the same saved document. I’m still thinking paper and if I grab a new sheet of paper, it’s blank, isn’t it? But this isn’t. So I need to revert to default each time. Thanks a lot. I had problems with text again today and no matter how I twisted, tweaked and turned properties and everything and anything, it stayed invisible. But revert to default solved it. Phew!