You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting after rotation crop

After straightening and wanting to fill in corners

duplicate, rasterize 

Select transparency 

shrink/grow about 10 pts

fill - inpaint

does not work in betas but worked well in 1.6

Tried to duplicate, lock first layer then flatten duplicated layer (but this flattens all layers) then followed the above and works perfectly.  This is not a great solution however  

Edited to change spelling issues. 

I guess its the new crop/raster system. Now you always have to extra-crop with the option "resize & resample" . For me its a big misbehavior, but AP think its a "feature". 

An option like always raster/crop to fit to canvas would be really nice.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Thanks Polygonius for your reply but I would appreciate an explanation of what the new AP cropping option is.  

I use what I explained above because it allows me to choose what parts of the image I don't want to fill/inpaint. I can deselect an area of trees that I know will not inpaint well but in other areas it will do an excellent job.  Then I can just clone the trees in.  It allows me to get better colour and texture matches without losing image dimensions. 

Chris B I am not sure what you mean by 

14 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey p_mac,

Could you please attach your .afphoto file so I can simply open it and do the inpainting? 

'so I can simply open it and do the inpainting …'

I am aware of the inpaint functionality but if you read what I wrote to Polydonius in my previous post it should explain why and where I would use my described process. It's actually something I used when I was a PS user. 

• Staff
6 hours ago, p_mac said:

Chris B I am not sure what you mean by 

'so I can simply open it and do the inpainting …'

I am aware of the inpaint functionality but if you read what I wrote to Polydonius in my previous post it should explain why and where I would use my described process. It's actually something I used when I was a PS user. 

Sorry for not being more clear.

I was asking for your project file so I could just use the Inpainting tool (the file would already have the selection etc.) but I have managed to see your issue for myself on my own file now. I wasn't trying it on a big enough transparent area. 

This is my result after doing the exact same process in beta (left) and release (right):
1829752312_Screenshot2018-11-2308_26_27.thumb.png.b4850954b9a835ac983f38b86ab180b3.png

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

This is my result after doing the exact same process in beta (left) and release (right):

Is it possible that this is related to new raster/crop "feature"? After croping in the Official Version the shift+F5  impainting does NOT work well. Because the layer is a big as before. After extra- rasterize this layer (so its fit the canvas), the impainting works well. 

In the Beta and this new raster-"feature"  the layer will not cut to canvas. Maybe thats the problem!!!! So please make an entry in the menu raster/crop to canvas!

@p_mac

As far as I can work out...

Both the Crop Tool and Rasterise commands have changed in v1.7.

1. The Crop Tool used to be non-destructive but now has an option to be destructive (Resample and Crop in the Crop Method drop down box)

2. The Rasterise command will no longer "crop" a previously (non-destructively) cropped image.

I'm not sure how you originally straighten your image but if you used the straighten command in the crop tool screen then if you had used the option Resample and Crop your inPainting would have worked as expected. If however you just rotated your image on the screen to straighten it, you would then have to go into the crop screen and just select the option Resample and Crop to destructively crop the parts of your image which you could have previously done with the Rasterise command.

In effect the Rasterise command is now totally redundant in your workflow for this inPainting exercise.  (use the destructive crop option instead).

I'm not 100% sure why this change to the Rasterise command was made in v1.7 but there is probably a good reason which someone else can explain.

Personally I think the destructive crop option is a good one and you just have to be aware that Rasterise will no longer perform that function for you.

My only real concern is what happens to some macros that previously used the Rasterise command in them. Will they need to be rewritten for v1.7?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

35 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Personally I think the destructive crop option is a good one and you just have to be aware that Rasterise will no longer perform that function for you.

My only real concern is what happens to some macros that previously used the Rasterise command in them. Will they need to be rewritten for v1.7?

I guess there is good reason for lot situations that rasterize ist non destructive, BUT there are situations where you prefer a destructive rasterize. So, this not a question of YES or NOT, this is a question why not have booth? 

I often just want ONE layer "destructive" rasterized, espacilly in Macros... I donot want to go the long way via crop/set parameter to destructive.... I want this really often in one simple order! So what is so difficualt to give us BOOTH methods????  Thats just ONE entry more in the menu / as personal shortcut!!!!

Thanks Chris for your response and you have simulated the exact issue that I was describing.  I played around with this more yesterday and found several curious things.

Firstly if I turn off the locked layer, the inpaint technique doesn't work well at all.

It was my understanding that the sampling comes from the same layer that you have 'grown', but that seems not to be true. This process seems only to work if the layer below is active.   I always get a much better result this way because I get a very good copy of the colour and texture.  It is very sharp and exact.  I find with the inpaint or clone tools, that if you want that same sharpness, using a high hardness number leaves very distinctive lines or circles where the brush has been.  

I have not worked on this today but it would be interesting if the layer was not a duplicate.  I will need to do more investigation. I am not near my MBPro right now, am on an older iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 - no retina display) but will upload the file later today if possible.

It is just my opinion but I would hate to lose the ability to use this technique.  

This is the first time this MBPro has been able to use Metal but this issue doesn't seem to be related as I have tried with it on and off.  

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 12.39.16 PM.png

Edited by p_mac
spelling

On 23 November 2018 at 9:45 AM, carl123 said:

Looks like this has been addressed in the latest beta released Sunday ( Mac version 1.7.0.103 )

" - Ability to either rasterise or rasterise and trim a layer. Previously recorded macros will trim."

I expect Windows users will also get that option soon

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't see that anything has been fixed.  In trying to rotate and fill I now have consistent crashes.  I am using a new image each time that would not be corrupted.  The only way that I can fill out the corners is by a tedious cloning procedure.   

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Looks like this has been addressed in the latest beta released Sunday ( Mac version 1.7.0.103 )

" - Ability to either rasterise or rasterise and trim a layer. Previously recorded macros will trim."

Much thanks for this, works fine, even the impainting works now like in 1.6, after raster/trim!

Chris B, I completely deleted the Beta and then reinstalled .103.  Initially I was trying to figure out how Rasterise and Crop worked. Thought that perhaps this might be the issue.  I could not do any filling.  

So basically, I decided that I would just Develop the Raw image, then duplicate it, rotate it using Resample and Crop, Select Fully Transparent, Grow/Shrink by 30 pt., then Inpaint,  and it worked.  I then processed it again and deselected around the tree area and Fill-Inpaint, and again it worked.

No crashes at all today. Must have needed some house cleaning.

I tried to attach my file but I have a very slow internet and the file is 586 mb.  Here is the Raw file if you want to try it.  I welcome this new Beta as I am using a Sony a7R III and version 1.6 was doing some very strange things with pano especially.  Now they stitch beautifully.  Also develop sunset photos really well.  

DSC03406 copy.ARW

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, p_mac said:

No longer working in latest update but did note that Croping Tool has been changed in latest update.  Is that the issue and hoping that it is only disabled temporarily  

in #105 the crop is no longer destructive. So you have also to raster after cropping the layer. There are now 2 raster-menu-entries. The fisrt one is destructive. That one you need for for eg. impainting.

Polygonius thanks for your input but rasterizing doesn't solve the problem.  It doesn't work either way.  Am back to needing to use inpaint or clone tool which does not give a great result.  I really liked the way it worked in .104. 

Are you sure you took the right "raster"? There are 2 of them, one will canvas-fit, the other not (blue line keeps still anywhere outside the canvas.

Normal impainting-brush works in both (inside), but this kind of fill-impaint "over the border" former transparent area (the shift+F5 impainting) juts works quite well, if the layer was first DESTRUCTIVE rastered. 

(in german its translated Ebene (layer) > rastern... and > rasterise... ONLY the destructive "rastern" works well.)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.