You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Resources (other afpub, pdf and images) are linked with absolute path?

Linked Resources (other afpub, pdf and images) seem to be linked with absolute path?

They should be linked with only relative path.

It's necessary to be able to move the afpub document with subfolders for assets, ... to another place and easily keep the links.

I don't want to be obliged to reassign it at all if the relative structure is consistent. This product should get better than indd. There, you have to reassign one file and it looks for the oher missing links in the same folder and recognizes it.

I dream to have a much better software with Affinity publisher.

Edited by mark us

After installing new Publisher beta, for some reason all my images are now "missing". Unfortunately I can't replace all images at once, but one by one! The first problem is that pop-up window of explorer doesn't show me which image needs to be replaced, and second problem is that other images don't get automatically replaced after updating one image from the same region that contains all other images as well. This may not be so obviously important when you are designing a brochure with 3 images. But if you are designing a book or encyclopedia with hundreds of images, finding a "missing" image for hundreds of times is absolutely unacceptable.

5 hours ago, Mandu said:

Unfortunately I can't replace all images at once, but one by one! The first problem is that pop-up window of explorer doesn't show me which image needs to be replaced, and second problem is that other images don't get automatically replaced after updating one image from the same region that contains all other images as well.

Rather than replacing when it asks you as you Open the project, decline that opportunity and then use Document > Resource Manager. That will allow you to replace an image of your choosing, and should then find any others that are in the same folder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Rather than replacing when it asks you as you Open the project, decline that opportunity and then use Document > Resource Manager. That will allow you to replace an image of your choosing, and should then find any others that are in the same folder.

Yes, Walt, but that cannot be the solution and cannot be the style for Affinity publisher to deal with the issue.

I dream to have a much better software with Affinity publisher.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

@walt.farrell Thank you for posting. I was expecting that all images that are in the same folder get replaced but they didn't!? I'm on the .174 version. I have included the screenshot. image.thumb.png.0263c800a4988628aaf7a3642da51cde.png

Hi. I agree with that all linked resources should be linked with relative path.
You could have all your resources in a sub-folder from the one you save the Publisher file, and then take that folder to other location (other folder, drive, computer, etc.) and open transparently without any problems.
I understand for that to be possible the Publisher file must be saved prior to place the resource. But if you place a resource in a new Publisher file which has not been saved yet, it could temporarily be linked with absolute path and then when you save the file convert it automatically to a relative path.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, Mandu said:

The first problem is that pop-up window of explorer doesn't show me which image needs to be replaced, and second problem is that other images don't get automatically replaced after updating one image from the same region that contains all other images as well.

Agreed. This option, to fix missing links upon opening, is currently redundant as you can't tell what you are fixing. If users are supposed to go into the document resources manager then why bother having an option to fix it upon opening the file, it should just be a warning that you can only close, not act upon.

• 3 weeks later...

1+
Have the same problem in 1.7.0.206 with missing linked ressources. But the hint from @walt.farrell does not work (anymore or on mac os x in this version).

Demand: Move 1 folder -> Work to do 98 Clicks

Some daly-process to change a folder-location triggers a plethora of work:
1. A have to change the hole folder-location.
2. A ton of information windows pops up.
2.1. There is no «define new path to missing ressources» in this popup. Would be really helpful ;o)
3. have to click on «Document > Ressources Manager»
3.1 All «linked» ressources have status «missing».
4. Click on missing ressource.
5. Click on button «Replace».
6. 3-6 clicks to the right new folder
7. Search  the right image in new folder
8. Click on the right file

Strange. All the other images have still status «missing». Thought: «Shit happens, the auto-path-correction does not work anymore?!??!»

Next image:
9. go to point 4.
10. do point 5.
11. do point 7.
12. do point 8.
13. do point 9.

next image, ...

At the end, for one folder move with a small project within 19 images, I had to click: 1. (8 times) every other image (5 times) => 98 Clicks!

missing-linked-ressources.png.ab54dbefef90943b82d72556223a5919.png

:S
Would be nice to have an easier and less work-intensive solution.

Working Solution from other products to explore

Maybe you would find a way while exploring the solution from «Davinci Resolve». There all the ressources are stored in «Media Storage». Thats a «virtual path list for all of different location (local but also on external drives). Maybe this is the reason for the really handy and extremly simple solution to change path's.
Only click on «Relink Selected Clips...» (I did in this case only on 1[ONE] file). Select it in the «Media Storage Popup».
All clips (this time only 2) are changed and relinked. But also for normal videos with more then 100 ressources/clips,
sounds, filters, and so on -> It works with only
ONE CLICK

solution-from-davinci-resolve.thumb.png.bdf9ac0faf21b2b2c2469913184a3e6a.pngsolution-in-affinity-resolve-both-are-updated.thumb.png.72090cc93b5fa771da6d34e52b40c1fa.png

I hope this will help Affinity Publisher become an even more ingenious product.

Yes, smart recognition if a relative path can be used is the way to go.

In most cases users will drop images in the same folder or an "assets" subfolder. 

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471