You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] The Beta version icon replaces the release version icon.

Hello,

I usually open my AD files (all created in the release version) by double-clicking on the file.

As soon as a Beta version is available, the normal file icon is replaced by the Beta version icon, which means that double-clicking will launch the Beta version, which I don't want for this kind of files. The Beta icon should only apply to files created with the Beta version, I have no desire to use "Open with" to open files all created with the release version.

This is all the more embarrassing as the current Beta version does not work on my machine.

Thanks

2 hours ago, reglico said:

Hello,

I usually open my AD files (all created in the release version) by double-clicking on the file.

As soon as a Beta version is available, the normal file icon is replaced by the Beta version icon, which means that double-clicking will launch the Beta version, which I don't want for this kind of files. The Beta icon should only apply to files created with the Beta version, I have no desire to use "Open with" to open files all created with the release version.

This is all the more embarrassing as the current Beta version does not work on my machine.

Thanks

That is impossible unless they use a different file extension for the beta files

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

On either Windows or Mac you can change the program that's associated with a particular extension, which will change the icon that is used as well as the original that is opened. Not knowing what system you have I can't provide any further details at this time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, reglico said:

The Beta icon should only apply to files created with the Beta version

We have no mechanism for determining this currently, and I can't imagine we will add it.

Normally when you install an application it will register itself to handle the file types that it's interested in, and the last application installed becomes the default. Follow @walt.farrell's suggestion of changing the default application.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Normally when you install an application it will register itself to handle the file types that it's interested in

However, this is not normal for "Beta," if the extension is associated with a "release" version.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Normally when you install an application it will register itself to handle the file types that it's interested in

Sorry, but it is not "normally". Normaly is, that the application asks, possibly to choose, which extension to "associate" and appropriate.

This inappropriate solution prevents users from becoming your voluntary beta testers.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

19 hours ago, reglico said:

Hello Pšenda,

As you can see from this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77340-by-design-icons-on-windows-10/&tab=comments#comment-404660

the latest Beta version now systematically opens AD files and since this behavior is considered normal, you're right, I stop testing with Beta, I just deleted them.

@Pšenda / @reglico, there has been no change in this behaviour since the original versions were released. The last installed application becomes the default. If you want to change the default, go into Windows' Settings page to change it.

Do you realise how strange your suggestion is, saying that our installer should ask the user whether it wants to register the "afdesign" file format with Affinity Designer? Our own file format? I could understand if we were hijacking .jpeg or .png etc, but we're not.

Also, the beta test is for testing the software. That means using it. If you aren't interested in testing it (and only want to open files in an official release), then being a beta tester isn't for you. Double clicking of files is a feature that still needs testing, no matter how inconsequential it seems.

If you wish to remain a beta tester, the work around is to load the official version first, then do File | Open.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you realise how strange your suggestion is, saying that our installer should ask the user whether it wants to register the "afdesign" file format with Affinity Designer? Our own file format?

Excuse me, but I do not request this for "Affinity Designer", I request that for "Affinity Designer Beta".
Query before registration giving the user a choice, of which applications he will primarily use. Since you recommend that Beta should not be used for standard work, it is highly likely that the user will want to stay with their release version, and only from time to time will be testing.

@Mark Ingram

I could still live with this behavior when double-clicking on a Designer file launched the Beta version of Designer since I hadn't made the choice of the application to use with a right click, but since I installed the latest Beta version of Affinity Photo, if I double-click on a Designer file, this file will be opened systematically in Affinity Photo (Beta).

There's no need to lecture me, I know what it's like to be a Beta tester, I used to use Beta testers to test them, but when I want to open and use a file created with the release version, I want that file to open with the release version, and especially in the right software, for example a Designer file with Designer and not Photo as it is now, if you can't understand this.....

You may find this behaviour normal, not me, it's like in an office suite, I click on a spreadsheet and it's the word processor that opens!

Don't worry, the Beta test is over for me, I will wait for the completed versions and as for the forum I wonder if it's worth staying for in view of this kind of answer.

... if I double-click on a Designer file, this file will be opened systematically in Affinity Photo (Beta)...

OK, that doesn't make much sense, we'll see if we can improve that.

and as for the forum I wonder if it's worth staying for in view of this kind of answer.

I apologise if my post has upset you - feedback is always gratefully received from our users.

Seems like the problem here is people not understanding how Windows works in this case, so Let me explain it:

Windows Registry has all the extensions of the files on it, the registry is the one that really controls what open with what, which program appears on the Open With section or the default program for any extension when you double click, what appears on the open with list or not, etc. All that is right there in the Registry, which is not even hidden and you could even go and manually modify and apply and do whatever you want with it. That's how windows works.

Affinity Designer, Photo or any other program doesn't have the power to do anything about it, they can only write their little line to the registry and then you as an user are the one who has to correct that behavior if i doesn't behave the way you want. Yes, some programs register themselves as the default one for some reason, but the majority will just add themselves on the list and you can then easily select if you want them as default. 

So, when you create a Designer file, Windows uses only the registry to know what program is associated with .afdesign files, or if there is no default program it gives you the list, etc. there is no magic about it. So how can anyone expect Designer Beta to only open beta files? It is impossible, no program can do that, it's Windows Registry only power. Unless Affinity created a new extension just to be used on beta, which won't happen for obvious reasons since it doesn't make sense to do that, then nothing but you can fix that.

So the only way to fix this is make sure you have the program you want to be default is by:

1.  Right Click -> Open with -> Choose Another App and Always use this app to open .afdesign files and then use the app you want. 
  2. or the long way: Windows Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> (scroll down) -> Choose default apps by file type -> find .afdesign -> select Affinity Designer non-beta

They even have the "Open non-beta document" dialog which lets you even make a copy and all, and even tells you that they won't work on release so there is no open old release files on new beta by mistake and modify them and don't know you did it.

The only thing I would suggest to Affinity as a Windows user in this case, it is to add Affinity software to the Set Defaults by App, so anyone can easily see any type file that is supported by Affinity and see which ones are or not associated with Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher or other program so they can easily be reassigned if needed.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Pšenda said:

Query before registration giving the user a choice, of which applications he will primarily use.

To demonstrate how well-done apps do.
Although the extensions are associated with a previous version of the compiler, the new version does not allow for violent takeover, but allows the user to choose.

image.png.7b0f02eb4a602dd37ea7cbd15984c697.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.