You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] "layer Effects" Outline : outside generates rounded corners

Hi,
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I gave up looking for the needle in the haystack.
It's very annoying when applying it using macros !!
Is this on the waiting list ?
Or am I missing something ?

018.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

If you were applying it to an Image layer, you could apply a normal outline , create a Style and apply that as a Macro. But it won't work on Pixel layers.

tulip.jpg.f2daeafe7f02d00fa401c6e0473d5b3f.jpg

I suppose the only other option would be to clip the image in a rectangle. Not sure how that would work with a macro.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Yes Outline is a poor mans stroke.

Could you incorporate Select > Outline... into your Macro?

1. Select All
  2. Select Outline...
  3. Set to Inner
  4. Set the width and Apply
  5. Create new pixel Layer
  6. Fill with colour of choice

449323623_ScreenShot.png.522f93c97e009e49cbf160ca96184db3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

47 minutes ago, toltec said:

But it won't work on Pixel layers

I know, I tried that.

33 minutes ago, toltec said:

set Alignment to Inside

It is intended that it be explicitly applied as an outside frame.
I already have a working macro that runs flawlessly. but there are a few extra actions added to eliminate the transparent corner parts. Hence my question.
Thanks anyway, you to @firstdefence

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

What about resizing the canvas by whatever size you need width and height e.g 100px; so a 50px border and then flood filling the transparent space?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another method could be...

1. Create an oversized rectangle so that it creates a negative border outside the image dimensions
  2. use the arrange tools on the top menu to move the rectangle below the image
  3. Then select Document Unclip Canvas

32 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

I'll give it a try ...

One problem is, you have a small pixel layer floating inside a large empty transparent layer. Don't know why or how.

Would it help if you use Edit > Matte and fill the background of the layer with the green ? Maybe you could incorporate that in your macro somehow ?

matte.jpg.c2f885c90f2e2d639e818ec650b41c5c.jpg

What actually do you do with the layer after outlining it ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Had a play with the macro and came up with this... Border with XandY scaling and colour selector.afmacro

7 minutes ago, toltec said:

Don't know why or how.

That's the canvas resize from within the macro. See attachment

Add Outside BORDER With Variable width v02.afmacros

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

Awesome, glad it works. Nice macro to have.