You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadows/ highlights filter brightens highlights, bug or intended?

I've noticed that the shadows/ highlights filter (live and destructive) behaves differently than before. The old version used to offer much more control over the result. But what's even more important: In 1.6 the highlights filter used to reduce (darken) highlights, now it increases (brightens) them. Is this really the idea behind it? The shadows/ highlights filter used to be a superb tool to fix areas that were either too dark or too bright. Now it simply feels like one more redundant tool. Could anyone from Serif comment on this and clarify whether this is the intended behavior or if it's a bug?

2 hours ago, Scott Williams said:

The new shadows/highlights filter is now useless for me. The old one was great. Very adjustable. One of the best. I really hope the removal of the radius slider is not by design.

Any chance of some clarification on this one please?

I agree, I liked the ability to control the radius. I hope it's an oversight removing it, and they put it back in.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

The new shadows and highlights filter has been improved so now you can both brighten and darken them. The strength 0 position is now in the middle of the slider instead of at one end, move it right to brighten, move it left to darken. It's more like an advanced version of our shadows and highlights adjustment layer now.

Although I do agree with the extra control the radius gave

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

The new shadows and highlights filter has been improved so now you can both brighten and darken them. The strength 0 position is now in the middle of the slider instead of at one end, move it right to brighten, move it left to darken. It's more like an advanced version of our shadows and highlights adjustment layer now.

Although I do agree with the extra control the radius gave

I am talking about the shadows/highlights "live filter". This starts at zero on the left for both shadows and highlights.  And it definitely increase both when you move the sliders to the right.

Maybe they are trying to dumb it down for the masses. Anyway. It is broken.

The shadows/highlights "adjustment layer" starts in the middle. 

3 hours ago, Chris_K said:

My apologies I forgot that it hadn't actually fully been implemented in Windows yet, but it is a known issue. Once implemented it should work as I described

No problem :)

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, it's just a bug. This is a beta, after all.

I meant removing the shadows/ highlights radius sliders. I really hope this tool is not simplified to the point where it can't be used as well as it currently can. I really find the way it currently works to be very useful.

I feel bad moaning about such an extensive update. Some of these improvements have really improved AP for me. especially the new colour range selection in the HSL panel. Keep up the absolutely great work. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.