You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer opacity vs. fill

On 3/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, Murfee said:

Just a quick bump & reminder to the Devs, the latest improvements have been great but it would be really good to see the layer fill mode introduced soon to assist with creativity 😀

Yes, it would certainly help with color grading some of the stuff I like to do, so it deserves another bump!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump . . . been spending a lot of time trying to find some way to get similar effect to no avail. Thought for a while that I was  getting close with "blend-if" but it just wasn't the same.

We really need a "fill" adjustment -- opacity just isn't the same!  Trying to get the desired results using opacity is a bit like trying to use windows 98's paint program to edit photos. You know the results are going to suck, but you keep trying anyhow.

• 1 month later...

BUMP once more, after almost 2 months.

Fill adjustment is becoming more and more of a necessity in my post processing.

I would REALLY prefer to remain with Affinity rather than having to become a "subscriber" (in plain terms it actually means "slave") to Adobe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally  agree with Smee Again.  I really miss the ability to use fill in Affinity Photo.   It really does behave just like general opacity although it should not.   I used the fill all the time in photoshop with the 8 special blend modes and thought It would work the same in Affinity since I could not find the actual algorithms used in affinity. I hope Serif makes the fill work the way it does in photoshop..... There is one question I have what is the purpose of the fill slider in FX in Affinity if it works the same as the general opacity.   Was this a placeholder for later development?  Otherwise why have the slider at all.

thanks

1 hour ago, hanshab said:

There is one question I have what is the purpose of the fill slider in FX in Affinity if it works the same as the general opacity.   Was this a placeholder for later development?  Otherwise why have the slider at all.

Hi hanshab, the fill in the fx panel is the layer object fill opacity. If you want to have transparent text or shapes with effects such as outer glow, shadows etc. If you have no fill in the text then the fx don’t work. The object’s fill opacity can be reduced to show the background through the text effects

i agree that it should really be the layer fill ...hopefully they will add that soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, those 8 special blend modes were a lot of trouble to go to if they're just going to leave them as is. While they can still be "used", the results are often disappointing.

I've even tried using the "blend if" tool to try to achieve the same results, all to no avail. We really need "Fill Layer Capability" to realize the full value of the work done to provide us those blend modes.

Don't know why it won't let me edit the above post, but it should have read:

On 11/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, Smee Again said:

Yeah, those 8 special blend modes were a lot of trouble to go to if they're just going to leave them as is. While they can still be "used", the results are often disappointing.

I've even tried using the "blend if" tool to try to achieve the same results, all to no avail. We really need "Fill Slider" to realize the full value of the work done to provide us those blend modes.

there are 8 blend modes in Affinity photo that do not work correctly.  That is because they require a Layer-FILL capability.  Although they give some results these results are disappointing in Affinity.  I wonder why Serif even included them without the layer fill capability.     I use the fill slider much more than opacity in photoshop and they are not the same. I really need that to work in Affinity Please!!!!!  see here  similar to ones already cited.  

10 minutes ago, hanshab said:

There are 8 blend modes in Affinity photo that do not work correctly.  That is because they require a Layer-FILL capability.  Although they give some results these results are disappointing in Affinity.  

I wonder why Serif even included them without the layer fill capability.

I have a nagging feeling that Serif wasn't even aware of this and the importance of a correctly working layer fill capability.

I am not sure why Serif went out of their way to imitate Adobe Photoshop - but not to understand it and how it works and how the world uses it. My guess is that Serif is simply not in touch with a satisfying professional network (and no not forum users). 

StudioLink and live filters are not interesting before the programs actually work.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 months later...

Just ran across the PixImperfect and Blake Rudis discussions of the Fill slider and how to use it with the 8 blend modes and ran to Affinity to try it out and... NOT THERE.  It seems like a powerful tool for Affinity to be missing.  I'll add my voice to the chorus asking for this.

layer fill is the only reason I still have to hang on to photoshop. If I use these blend modes I go to photoshop and then of course I don't go back to Affinity Photo. The lack of this basic capability is causing me great pains.   I like Affinity Photo a lot but may have to go back to photoshop if this basic capability is not added soon. A number of folks including myself have been asking for this for years without result.