You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Science-fiction novel cover design

Metin Seven

I like it.
I'm not totally sold on the overall colour scheme - and I don't know why - but it's nice overall.
I'm wondering what the spine would look like with this colour scheme on a shelf with other sci-fi books. Would it stand out or be overlooked?
Oh, and there's no author's name.

Thanks @GarryP !

Good points. I've left out the author, because it's a joint project, but maybe it's better to share the cover without a title as well.

The color scheme reflects a warm-cold contrast to emphasize the sunset.

The spine, good question. To be honest I don't think this will ever actually be printed. It might become an e-book at most, or remain a personal exercise.

Regards,

Metin

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D design — metinseven.nl

If you don't include the title then would people get that it was sunset or set in Amsterdam? Would they understand the concept behind the design?
Also, it's a lovely illustration by itself but, without a title and author, it it really a book cover? (A bit of pop-philosophy there I guess.)

I've done a few simple experimental book covers myself and have found that I need to have the author's name and title on the page from the start. Otherwise I get too far down the road of design and anything I've missed out has to be shoehorned in at the last moment and looks wrong. But maybe that's just me.

I can't say why I'm not totally sold on the colour scheme so there's probably no problem with it. Maybe I wasn't expecting it for utopian sci-fi, or whatever was going through my head at the time. Just ignore me on that.

Hi @GarryP,

You're absolutely right about the missing author. In this case it's just that it's more of an audiovisual project with three guys. So three names on the cover would be correct, but then again, there's only one writer. Confusing, haha. As a matter of fact, when I started this image, I had a music album cover in mind, with a square aspect, because there's also accompanying music, composed by one of us. But while the image progressed, a book cover aspect provided some more space. :) 

Have a nice evening,

M7

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D design — metinseven.nl