You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Ctrl+M and F10?

1. The shortcut Ctrl+M for the placement needs explanation. Ctrl+M opens the gradation curves in APh and AD (as in PS). This is not consistent. Or does this mean that the curves in APh and AD get a different shortcut?
  2. I use the preview mode very often. That's why I don't think the F10 key is very ideal. The key is pretty remote, and the F-keys are very small on many keyboards.
  3. The preview mode button is funny, but not self-explanatory. A clearer symbol would be helpful.

I'm puzzled by your comments. I'm on the latest Publisher beta for Windows, and

1. Ctrl+M is "View Masters". As that is not a function needed in either Photo or Designer it doesn't really conflict with them.
  2. F10 is not assigned as a shortcut at all, though (for some reason I haven't figured out) it selects (but does not display) the File menu.
  3. Preview mode is Ctrl+Shift+W.

Of course, as I'm sure you're aware, you can change any of the shortcuts to choices that suit you better :)

(By the way, they've already solicited alternate suggestions for the Preview icon in another thread, so they know the current one may not be ideal. Personally, I like it.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

We previously had Ctrl+M for View > Masters (now F8) and I think it had been overlooked that this is reserved for Curves in Designer and Photo.

F10 was chosen precisely because we think it will be frequently used, and thought a single key (or maybe two keys on a notebook / small keyboard) would be preferable.

Unfortunately across all three apps there are very few 'easy' keyboard shortcuts remaining. Nothing is set in stone yet, we're open to suggestions.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm puzzled by your comments. I'm on the latest Publisher beta for Windows, and [...]

Hi Walt,

If you have customised your shortcuts at all you won't see any new default ones unless you 'Clear User Defaults' on startup. It would be rude to overwrite your customisations otherwise :)

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

Hi Walt,

If you have customised your shortcuts at all you won't see any new default ones unless you 'Clear User Defaults' on startup. It would be rude to overwrite your customisations otherwise :)

Thanks, Adam. I did clear them before posting, as I thought it might be related to that. I suppose I can try doing it again :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@AdamW: OK, I have restarted Publisher again, holding down Ctrl, and selecting Clear User Defaults.

That did not clear the keyboard shortcuts I had previously created or changed. They all remained the same.

Edit: I had to use the Reset button in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog in Preferences.

-- Walt
PC:

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

F10 is not assigned as a shortcut at all, though (for some reason I haven't figured out) it selects (but does not display) the File menu.

I believe F10 is the standard shortcut for activating the menu bar in Windows applications. If you press Tab/Shift+Tab the highlight will move to the next/previous menu header, and if you press Enter the selected menu will be displayed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
56 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

@AdamW,: OK, I have restarted Publisher again, holding down Ctrl, and selecting Clear User Defaults.

Yes, sorry, that would be 'Reset Keyboard Shortcuts'

47 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I believe F10 is the standard shortcut for activating the menu bar in Windows applications.

Thank you, good point.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Thank you, good point.

Quite, F10 has come to my rescue a number of times when the application goes 90% off screen

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I very much appreciated the "control-W" combo for preview mode in the earlier betas. It's similar enough to the "W" shortcut in InDesign, but adding the "control" prevents trying to use the "W" shortcut while in text mode and adding random "W"s into the text somewhere. I would do this all the time in InDesign and was very much looking forward to not having to worry about it in AP. I had already worked "control-W" into my AP-Beta workflow and hope that it gets reinstated. F10 would not work nearly as well for me.

In macOS the system uses F10 to show an overwiew of all application windows. It's no wise/nice idea as application to use a system key command.

Apple macOS: "Reserved and Expected Keyboard Shortcuts" ...

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/xcode_help-command_shortcuts/SystemAndOther/SystemAndOther.html

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/user-interaction/keyboard/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

In macOS the system uses F10 to show an overwiew of all application windows. It's no wise/nice idea as application to use a system key command.

With a different function F10 also in Windows is a system key command. F10 activates the menu.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I would like to renew my question. It has probably gone out of sight:
What is the default shortcut for the Place command in the latest APub version (174)? For me it is Ctrl+M. I just want to make sure it's not my installation, because this shortcut is not very advantageous.

15 minutes ago, Michail said:

I would like to renew my question. It has probably gone out of sight:
What is the default shortcut for the Place command in the latest APub version (174)? For me it is Ctrl+M. I just want to make sure it's not my installation, because this shortcut is not very advantageous.

It is Ctrl+M. You can, of course, change it to something else if there's some reason you don't like it.

-- Walt
PC:

On 11/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, walt.farrell said:

It is Ctrl+M. You can, of course, change it to something else if there's some reason you don't like it.

I know, but the default assignment should be reasonably consistent. As I said before, in APh and AD the Ctrl+M shortcut opens the gradation curves. In APub the gradation curves also exist, but Ctrl+M doesn't work here.

I don't know exactly what Serif is going to do with the Vector and Photo-Persona. But at the latest when these work, there will be discrepancies with Ctrl+M.

I think F10 is a mistake. Given that MBP have now 'removed' the F keys this becomes a very cumbersome quick access key. Then if we factor in other small keyboards and many laptops having the F keys used in conjunction with an FN keys, I can't see this a good choice. 

Working on a full keyboard this might be ok, even though still not optimal, as it is not a the extremes of the groupings of 4 F keys, like F9 or F12 would be.

I would appreciate some other options. Something like an cmd + any key.

• Staff

Please try the new 1.7.0.192 beta where these are the defaults/changes

Layout Shortcuts (Win) -

• Replaced Ctrl+M with Ctrl+Shift+M for File > Place
  • Moved Ctrl+M to Curves to match Vector / Photo
  • Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+B for Black and White to match Vector / Photo
  • Replaced File > Place with Ctrl+Alt+M
  • Removed F8 View Masters
  • Replaced F10 with Ctrl+Shift+W for Preview

Layout Shortcuts (Mac) -

• Replaced Cmd+M with Shift+Cmd+M for File > Place
  • Removed F8 for View Masters
  • Replaced F10 with Ctrl+W for Preview Mode

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please try the new 1.7.0.192 beta where these are the defaults/changes

Do we have to CTRL+startup to return to these defaults? In my APub F10 still is set to Preview.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• Staff
Just now, dominik said:

Do we have to CTRL+startup to return to these defaults? In my APub F10 is still set for Preview.

d.

Yes, as I say these are the default when not otherwise defined, so a reset will give you the defaults

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes, as I say these are the default when not otherwise defined, so a reset will give you the defaults

Thanks for the quick reply late night. CTRL+SHIFT+W is now in effect :-)

BTW, thankyou all for the vision, the work and the support.

d.

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Do we have to CTRL+startup to return to these defaults? In my APub F10 still is set to Preview.

That might work (but it didn't for me with the prior beta). Better (and simpler) is Edit > Preferences, then on Keyboard Shortcuts press the Reset button.

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Better (and simpler) is Edit > Preferences, then on Keyboard Shortcuts press the Reset button.

I had forgotten about that. I'll keep it in mind for the next beta.

Cheers :)
d.