You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

foreground/background colors switch when I select tool

I repeatedly find myself having to undo an operation because the foreground & background colors switch when I select a tool.

For example, if I create a mask layer, select black, then click on the paintbrush and start to paint on the mask, I find I'm painting white because the black and white have switched. If you click around on various tools in the toolbar you can see the foreground and background colors switching. I'm sure there's a method to this and I just don't know what it is. What makes the foreground and background colors switch?

19 minutes ago, ncJohn said:

What makes the foreground and background colors switch?

Well, it depends what you mean by 'switch'.

The keyboard X key switches the active well focus. So if you had black and white set for the two wells, press X and the colour you are painting in changes.

Shift +  X switches the colours between the two wells.

It certainly should not happen on it's own.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Use the eyedropper to choose a color that you want to paint with. Then select the paintbrush. The colors switch.

Edit: Apparently it has something to do with the X key (or shift X). Sometimes what I described happens and sometimes it doesn't, but I can't find a pattern to it.

• Staff

Hi ncJohn :)

This behaviour is expected, each tool (including the move tool) remembers which 'well' was selected/used with that tool last, which is why you're seeing the well switching when changing tools.

I've created a quick video below showing this in action, as can be seen before changing any well selection both tools use the same well. When I switch to the paintbrush tool and select the other well, then change back to the move tool, you can see the well selection reverts to the last well that was used with that tool. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

I do not like this "feauture". So an option to disable it, would be really nice!

I'd recommend making a post in our feature requests section of the forums for our devs to consider adding this in the future :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!