You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White stroke around rectangular marquee selection

3 hours ago, bbullock41 said:

I would like to make a white stroke outlining a rectangular marquee selection. Not sure how to do it.

Bob

Hi Bob

Go Select > Outline

out.png.bb5d8c4829f03b3d998ee0ea69206953.png

set whatever radius you want then click Apply.

AlignmentCentre put the new outline half inside, half outside your selection rectangle, Outside puts the outline fully outside your selection rectangle.

Go Edit > Fill and fill the selection with the colour of your choice, although white is actually he default colour.

fill1.png.4e6a5838b5ca8874398779746dbeb88e.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

19 minutes ago, toltec said:

Go Select > Outline

That will allow you to convert a rectangular marquee selection to an outline selection, but I do not see how that can be converted to a shape that has a stroke. What am I missing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

That will allow you to convert a rectangular marquee selection to an outline selection, but I do not see how that can be converted to a shape that has a stroke. What am I missing?

"I would like to make a white stroke outlining a rectangular marquee selection"

zebras.jpg.df24c39d659839cecedfe7f9d2ea5912.jpg

That is what it does, the original marguee selection was the inner edge of the white outline.

In Photoshop, it was common to use 'Stroke' around a selection to control (or manipulate) the edge, or just outline it for emphasis.

Edit. In Photo, Outline can be used to do the same thing. Although it is not the same.

Don't ask me to second guess why the OP wants to do that.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

In Photoshop, it was common to use 'Stroke' around a selection to control (or manipulate) the edge, or just outline it for emphasis. In Photo, Outline does the same thing.

But is it a vector shape with a stroke or just a filled bitmap? That is what I don't understand how to do in AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But is it a vector shape with a stroke or just a filled bitmap? That is what I don't understand how to do in AP.

If you fill it, it is a filled bitmap.

The thing is, Outline is just a pixel selection, expanding around the previous selection boundary. You can do anything you would do with any selection, in this case a pixel fill. 

As mentioned, in Photoshop I often used ‘Stroke’ to make a modification around the outline of a selection. eg, painting around the edge with a blur brush, set to lighten or something to reduce the black edges that are left, or maybe remove green residue left from green screen removal.

Photo does not have the Stroke option, but I can do it by ‘outlining’ the selection and using the outline selection to paint inside, or use with an Adjustment layer or Filter layer (both confined within the selection area).

If I wanted the the rectangular marquee as a separate image (layer) with a border, I would duplicate it to a new layer, then use the Stroke option on the Context Toolbar.

If I wanted a vector outline as the border, the image would have to be clipped into a rectangle shape.

There is no way to turn a pixel selection into a vector outline in Photo. You would need to draw a path and then save it as a mask.

I think turning a pixel selection into a vector outline selection is on the roadmap, but I never wait for these things, I just find another way to do what I want.

17 minutes ago, toltec said:

There is no way to turn a pixel selection into a vector outline in Photo.

Thanks. That is what I thought -- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that had been added to the beta or whatever.

Affinity Photo