You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I feel like I've gotten into one of the mental corners I just can't get out of and I just need to ask a question.

I have felt like in any pixel editing application on the Mac I've ever used - including Photoshop and Affinity - using the select tool on a pixel layer and then using the Edit->Copy command should copy the selected area of pixels to the clipboard. Subsequently, I could paste this selection to another layer or application.

However, I feel like recently in Affinity Photo, this is not working as I expect and I feel like I am going nuts.

To wit:

1.  Open a simple image (JPG or PNG) in Affinity.
  2. Using the marquee rectangle select tool set to NEW

It won't work if the image is an 'image' layer, it has to be a 'pixel' layer. If it's an image layer it copies the whole layer, not the selection.

So if you placed the image rather than opened it, you need to Rasterise it. Right click on the layer.

BTW. You can make a selection and press Cmd + J. It duplicates the selection to a new layer. Saves copy, then paste.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hey, claycle,

I've been in the same place. I rarely use AP, but what I've learned needs an extra step. Make selection, switch to move tool (V), then copy/paste. 

I guess that tells the app that one is not trying to copy/paste the selection area shape,  but the pixel contents within the current selection.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hey, claycle,

I've been in the same place. I rarely use AP, but what I've learned needs an extra step. Make selection, switch to move tool (V), then copy/paste

I guess that tells the app that one is not trying to copy/paste the selection area shape,  but the pixel contents within the current selection.

There is no need for an extra step, at least not in the AP I have.

Just make a selection with a Marquee, Selection Brush , the Freehand tool or even from a colour range selection and it will copy and paste or duplicate the selection area (including pixels!). No need to use the Move Tool.

The selection area (and pixels) can be pasted into the same image as a new layer, into a different image or you can create a new document from it, 'New From Clipboard'.

''The only time it doesn't work is if you try and do it on an 'image' layer rather than a'pixel layer.

21 minutes ago, toltec said:

There is no need for an extra step, at least not in the AP I have.

It is the same for me, using the Mac version (or beta). Aside from it not working on an "(Image)" layer, one possible cause is that no layer is selected -- the OP's 2 step process did not mention anything about selecting a layer....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

It is the same for me, using the Mac version (or beta). Aside from it not working on an "(Image)" layer, one possible cause is that no layer is selected -- the OP's 2 step process did not mention anything about selecting a layer....

Hmm, could be. Although if the layer was not selected, selecting the Move Tool would not help.

I guess it would help if the OP was a bit more specific about why it was "not working as I expect".

27 minutes ago, toltec said:

Hmm, could be. Although if the layer was not selected, selecting the Move Tool would not help.

I don't think there is any need to switch to the Move Tool as @gdenby suggested -- as long as a pixel layer is selected in the Layers panel, copy/paste works as you described in your first reply, for any 'marching ants' selection, not just the marquee type.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

O.K., this is weirding me out. Yesterday, tried doing simple copy and paste on a pixel, not image layer. No results unless I switched to move tool. Today, as expected. New layer containing the selected pixels.  But today, if I switched to the move tool, not only were the pixels duplicated, and able to move, but the selection marquee would move w. it, and reshape as the layer was resized, grabbing more pixels from the under layer.

Really must work w. Photo more. There's something really basic I've missed.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

25 minutes ago, gdenby said:

There's something really basic I've missed.

It must be O.o

If I have ants, I can make a duplicate copy of the selection area and pixels with any tool selected, selection tools or even the Magnifier tool.