You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.3)

I'll be testing Designer a lot more after the holidays. I've just been so busy with moving, but so far, I love the update.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 12/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, MattP said:

Yes, there will be :)  I'm just in the middle of typing something so there may be a big change or there may not be, but there will be many little fixes irrespective. Photo is getting more updates mainly because of fixes to the Metal acceleration stuff - which Designer doesn't use, so doesn't need the same update frequency :)

Many thanks!

Matt

What happened Matt with your typing?  I hope you don't need a new keyboard to complete your changelog listing.  I get the impression something REALLY BIG is about to be unleashed.

• Staff

I ended up getting tantalisingly close to finishing, but didn’t quite make it before Christmas, so rather than rush out a version without my changes that I’d not had chance to look at properly I didn’t bother - I’m still typing my new thing (doing it this evening, just waiting for it to build for me at the moment) so I’m working on hard on getting it finished.... Hope everyone had a great Christmas - looking forward to next year being a big one!!! :)

What about all this features from roadmap?

On 8/21/2014 at 10:49 PM, TonyB said:

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

57 minutes ago, andrewmarch said:

What about all this features from roadmap?

The current roadmap is the 1.x roadmap, covering all ‘point’ releases (i.e. 1.7, 1.8, etc) for version 1. Any features on that list should be included in a free update before version 2.0 is released, so some of them probably won’t be added for at least another year.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for this beta version. My feedback:

I wish I could paint up to the bleed limit, but my pixel brush strokes stop at the document’s edge. This, I find, defeats the purpose of a bleed. Of course I can still move or scale my artwork to make it bleed, but it’s not ideal. Unless there’s a trick?

I was expecting more vector brush fidelity in the new version. The vector brush re-interprets my strokes too much; I don’t see any improvement over the current version. This is on my highly-desired-features wishlist! Please note that the pixel brushes, on the other hand, are perfect.

Thanks for the pencil’s sculpt mode, a great feature! It would be great to make it available to the brush tool too. To use it on brush strokes, I need to change tools temporarily, which is not very productive… but it works.

Capture d’écran, le 2018-12-30 à 12.10.12.png

55 minutes ago, simon bd said:

I wish I could paint up to the bleed limit, but my pixel brush strokes stop at the document’s edge. This, I find, defeats the purpose of a bleed. Of course I can still move or scale my artwork to make it bleed, but it’s not ideal. Unless there’s a trick?

Sounds like you have View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas enabled. If you disable it you can paint outside the main canvas area and into (or beyond) the bleed area. (I'm not sure it should be necessary to disable that option, as I think it would work better if the definition of "Canvas" for clipping purposes included the bleed area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, so there is a trick! However, I disabled it and tried a stroke that bleeds—it still stops at the document’s edge. On or off, I see no difference. Anything I’m doing wrong?

(I’m assuming “Attacher au canevas” is the option you’re talking about on my French version!) Thanks for your help!

Capture d’écran, le 2019-01-01 à 10.19.41.png

3 hours ago, simon bd said:

However, I disabled it and tried a stroke that bleeds—it still stops at the document’s edge. On or off, I see no difference. Anything I’m doing wrong?

Interesting.

No, I think there may be a bug. The vector brushes (which I had tested) will paint outside the canvas with "Clip to Canvas" off, but the pixel brushes won't. You might want to start a new topic about that, so it doesn't get lost as easily.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, simon bd said:

Thanks Walt. I’ll report it.

By the way, I tried this option with vector brushes. In fact the vector brushes will always draw on the pasteboard, no matter how you set up that option. :|

Thanks again.

The vector brushes are limited to the canvas for me, if Clip to Canvas is selected.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The vector brushes are limited to the canvas for me, if Clip to Canvas is selected.

They are not in the Mac customer beta or in the 1.6 version either.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What exactly do you mean by "symmetry widget"? From your screen recording, it looks like you have enabled the Move Tool's "Show Alignment Handles" option, which allows you to drag the selected object by one of those handles to move it around, including to snap its center or edges to some other object, like the dashed line you are calling the symmetry axis.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi lenogre,
The (Show) Alignment Angles controls are just for aligning objects or nodes. They aren't intended to mirror objects along an axis. I thought you were talking about the Symmetry option (context toolbar) for the Brush Tools (in Affinity Designer Pixel Persona and Affinity Photo Photo Persona).

OK, I thought it was for mirroring objects…

Moving objects is very easy now with these new handles but nothing changes since the first alpha release about symmetry. I use symmetry all the time and it's a big pebble in my shoe…

You added a icon for rotation center, do the same for symmetry please.

2 options :

- Click on the symmetry icon and press enter or one click on the screen : same behavior as usual

- A click and drag defines the axis of symmetry

Or click on the icon with ALT = option for axis of symmetry

Here's a video : symmetry with MOI3D. So simple and powerful.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.