You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.3)

Hey Matt, my man! It's been a while. I've been away and then come back to see this spectacular treat! Did Christmas come early this year? I am loving these new functions I am seeing. This version really stepped things up.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

No way! Construction mode, huh? :29_smirk:
To me this looks an damn lot like my favourite plug-in for some not-so-favourite software I’d rather not mention any longer.

Okay, maybe one last time: is this what Astute Graphics is for AI? But like … it comes as a part of the package? :53_cold_sweat:

Guys if it is – and I think it is – I am infinitely grateful for this. I really am. It’s such a handy, mighty and convenient tool!
Can’t wait for it to be fully implemented! Sorry, but this is like … like it’s early Christmas to me right now. :7_sweat_smile:

Haha, this is awesome!

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

2 hours ago, MrDoodlezz said:

is this what Astute Graphics is for AI?

I had to do a search for that, and it looks like that is a company that puts out multiple plugins, none of them self-titled, so impossible to answer just from that?

Meanwhile, if you have an Affinity Designer license, why not download the beta and try it out?

8 hours ago, fde101 said:

I had to do a search for that, and it looks like that is a company that puts out multiple plugins, none of them self-titled, so impossible to answer just from that?

Meanwhile, if you have an Affinity Designer license, why not download the beta and try it out?

Oh well, thanks for your kinda snarky appearing reply. :29_smirk:

Great suggestion, and yes, I’ve already tried latest available beta before even thinking about a post. 

I just wanted to make sure that I understood this new tool, which has a different name, correctly and
express how happy I am that this practical tool is finally being implemented after more than 4 years
of working with Designer.
:10_wink:

Cheers

^^   Gotta love pixel art based avatars :) .   +10 points for that ! [   * said the nostalgic pixel artist before running away *   ]

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

11 hours ago, MrDoodlezz said:

snarky appearing reply

Sorry if it came across that way... I wasn't sure if I was looking in the wrong place or what...

Meanwhile, in case you missed it, there was some discussion about construction mode scattered across a few other threads on the forum:

2 minutes ago, Kiarian said:

Vector Text Distort tool

I would assume this would be the "Mesh warp/distort tool" that is on the roadmap:

My (possibly correct) understanding is that the roadmap shows features that are expected to be added to the product before the 2.0 release, and if that understanding is somehow correct, then it would seem that the addition of this functionality is expected to be there by then.

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I would assume this would be the "Mesh warp/distort tool" that is on the roadmap:

My (possibly correct) understanding is that the roadmap shows features that are expected to be added to the product before the 2.0 release, and if that understanding is somehow correct, then it would seem that the addition of this functionality is expected to be there by then.

It's been on the road map since 2015. It's just impossible to compete in logo design against Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw without a vector text warp tool. The text warp in Photo is a great tool. We just need that, along with additional text warp options (the Netflix logo is a prime example) in Designer. 
PS. Just reading the new updates/features. Very much looking forward to the video on the new node/pen features - I do love a nice curve!

On 12/3/2018 at 3:05 PM, Bonev said:

Will there be a blend feature? I need this badly....

Need it too.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

Replicate aka Blend Tool /Command

is on the Affinity Designer roadmap for more than four years. Holding it back for 2.0? 

l73fjxjtwh6p.png

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

2 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Holding it back for 2.0?

No. If it’s on the current roadmap we can expect it to be added before version 2.0, but we don’t know whether it will be added in version 1.8 or even later than that. It could even be added during the 1.7 beta cycle, but that seems rather unlikely.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

With the new sub brush system put in place now, I'm very excited of the possibilities although I feel that not being able to add the second or third brush from the existing library is counterintuitive. I believe other apps allow for choosing the second brush from within, why do I have to go out and find an image of some other third party image supplier or brush maker? Unless I'm missing how this works, someone please fill me in.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:28 AM, retrograde said:

Hey team, how about extending the awesome new lasso selection feature to the move (selection) tool? Currently it's only active when the node tool is selected, unless I've got that wrong.

It's an old question at this point because of my delayed attention on this fabulous release, but I think this was done on purpose because the lasso selection is more focused on selecting nodes than it is on objects not selected.

Hey I have a question. I noticed from a tutorial on the iPad version that the sculpt feature is a little different from the desktop version. For the desktop, the sculpt areas show the lineart first and then stroked region on release, whereas the iPad shows the stroke all the way through. Might this still be something being worked on for the desktop? Either way, I am thrilled with that new feature.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hey guys,

about the construction mode … this works only with Pen and Node tool right now, right?
I guess/hope other tools will follow?

Right now I’d like to construct a figure based around circles, but I can’t get either the mode
to work or the lines to show. Or am I just missing something in the menus? :7_sweat_smile:

In any case, the tool is already very promising!
Without the option to actually access circle shapes and align them to the design shapes,
it's a bit limited in its usefulness for now.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

On 12/7/2018 at 9:43 PM, MrDoodlezz said:

Hey guys,

about the construction mode … this works only with Pen and Node tool right now, right?
I guess/hope other tools will follow?

Right now I’d like to construct a figure based around circles, but I can’t get either the mode
to work or the lines to show. Or am I just missing something in the menus? :7_sweat_smile:

In any case, the tool is already very promising!
Without the option to actually access circle shapes and align them to the design shapes,
it's a bit limited in its usefulness for now.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

Hi MrDoodelezz !

I also was surprised by the construct lines disappearance… And then I tried another way : I mean first drawing an object, then constructing guides and using the node tool to snap the nodes and lines of the object to the construct guides. 

Hope you see what I mean ; I guess it will be updated by our cool Affinity makers :)   

Regards,

Cédric

On 12/10/2018 at 11:11 PM, Cédric D said:

And then I tried another way : I mean first drawing an object, then constructing guides and using the node tool to snap the nodes and lines of the object to the construct guides.

Hey Cédric,

I totally get what you mean. But that's like … not the way construction lines are supposed to work, correct me here.
In an exaggerated sense: the graphic is finished and I start drawing in the construction lines afterwards. Right? :7_sweat_smile:

I understand the tool differently, rather to lay a foundation on which the design then builds on.
Like a grid, just a little more precise and individual.

I guess you know what I'm talking about, at least it's often used that way.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:11 PM, Cédric D said:

I guess it will be updated by our cool Affinity makers :)

I really do hope so! :10_wink:

Greetings
MrDoodlezz

2 minutes ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Hey Cédric,

I totally get what you mean. But that's like … not the way construction lines are supposed to work, correct me here.
In an exaggerated sense: the graphic is finished and I start drawing in the construction lines afterwards. Right? :7_sweat_smile:

I understand the tool differently, rather to lay a foundation on which the design then builds on.
Like a grid, just a little more precise and individual.

I guess you know what I'm talking about, at least it's often used that way.

I really do hope so! :10_wink:

Greetings
MrDoodlezz

Yes, I really understand what you're talking about ! :)

In fact, I tried to use the Node tool construction mode and drawing with pencil tool till I understood that it was (for the moment, I guess) only working with pen tool, so…

I absolutely agree with the guide like use, of course ! 

Whatever, it's a crazy cool function !

• Staff
23 hours ago, ajharok said:

Will there be another beta before Christmas? :)
AP is getting every couple of days an update.

Just asking.

Best, B

Yes, there will be :)  I'm just in the middle of typing something so there may be a big change or there may not be, but there will be many little fixes irrespective. Photo is getting more updates mainly because of fixes to the Metal acceleration stuff - which Designer doesn't use, so doesn't need the same update frequency :)

Many thanks!

Matt

Hi guys, just a few issues with bleeds when testing 1.7.0.3: 

It seems that bleeds are exported only when exporting all artboards at once. When exporting individual artboard to PDF, bleeds are not preserved.

I did not find a way how to enable/disable bleeds in Export persona > Slices settings.

Thanks!

Petr

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.