You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: wrap around mode for seamless textures

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Vantika said:

I can't believe this is not a more requested feature.

+1

Hello @Vantika and welcome to the forums.

It's perhaps a little hard to find but if you search for 'seamless', 'pattern' or 'texture' you will find quite some discussion and request for this feature.

And not only requests but also some solutions on how to achieve this in AD without a dedicated tool. I do not oppose the request for such a tool but I think it is worth to know that it is possible to create seamless textures already now.

See this example and this article (the latter tutorial is based on AD for iPad but it works on desktop as well).

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, dominik said:

See this example and this article (the latter tutorial is based on AD for iPad but it works on desktop as well).

Thanks for the warm welcome, Dominik! I have already read alot about Affinity software during my test period and the best solution for now seems to be to offset the image, fix seams and take care not to touch the borders again. But after seeing the realtime Wrap mode in Krita, I wish the Affinity devs will consider adding something like this. But of course it's not a big deal to use Krita for this purpose.

9 hours ago, Vantika said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Dominik! I have already read alot about Affinity software during my test period and the best solution for now seems to be to offset the image, fix seams and take care not to touch the borders again. But after seeing the realtime Wrap mode in Krita, I wish the Affinity devs will consider adding something like this. But of course it's not a big deal to use Krita for this purpose.

Hi @Vantika,

good to hear that you already do have working solutions even though not with a dedicated tool in AD. I myself have to look at Krita. I just heard about it but never tried it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

There is a way to reduce at least the offsetting procedure to one click with a Macro. Which for me is vital since I often ruin my first few tries.

For anyone who might not know about this:

1. Enable Macro Window (View -> Studio -> Macro)
  2. (Optional) Create your own Macro category
  3. Press "Start recording" in the Macro panel
  4. Open "Filters/Distort/Affine..." and set OffsetX and OffsetY both to 50% and hit "Apply"
  5. Click "Stop recording" in the Macro panel

Now you have a macro for quick image offset.

Edited by Vantika

9 hours ago, Vantika said:

There is a way to reduce at least the offsetting procedure to one click with a Macro. Which for me is vital since I often ruin my first few tries.

For anyone who might not know about this:

1. Enable Macro Window (View -> Studio -> Macro)
  2. (Optional) Create your own Macro category
  3. Press "Start recording" in the Macro panel
  4. Open "Filters/Distort/Affine..." and set OffsetX and OffsetY both to 50% and hit "Apply"
  5. Click "Stop recording" in the Macro panel

Now you have a macro for quick image offset.

That's an interesting tip, thank you.

May I add that macros are only available in Affinity Photo. We are in the Affinity Designer section, so AD users need to own APh and switch to it for this to work.

d.

2 hours ago, Renderluz said:

Yeah I was hoping Designer had Macros, my work load would be cut by half if it did, I hope they plan to add that at some point.

What has missing macros to do with the missing feature of a wrap around tool?

d.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for dynamic seamless generator!

Illustrator also have a way of Seamless generator which is quite rich of features.

CorelDraw don't have it but there are a macro you could purchase that would generate patterns. Not only rectangle but also 6 as well as 8 triangles!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have created a forum account solely for requesting this feature. Affine and patterns are too slow and cumbersome for painting seamless textures by hand. I use Photo and Designer for game asset production and it would be a lifechanger to have this feature in both applications.