You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need to convert my Panasonic Fz300 raw files to dng as Lr5 cannot be read the Pana raw file.  By mistake; I learnt I could converter the raw files off the card. ( yeah yeah --- slow on the up-take  9_9  image.gif.84679d0e6b687002dadefea37765d612.gif

For those interested . I have the Adobe dng converter [free] set to do the same thing each time > from same folder (card) > to same folder (NewPics)
The converter will remember and do the same as last used.
Once converted the dng files are imported [add] into lr5. This has removed  going through On1 first
If you want to rename all files; that can also be done with the dng converter also; however I delete the rubbish (heavily) in Lr5 before renaming only the better files.   Like On1; I feel the dng converter renaming would be easier than Lr5 – newer versions might be different but I'm not  going there ---if my Lr5 disappears I would likely use On1 and affinity

I don't  take much notice of the ''against'' dng argument – used to convert all files, however by not converting the Oly files I can quickly see if it's a pana or oly file . 

Happy to hear your pros and cons thoughts, and questions welcome

Cheers; happy hunting 

@ianrb that sounds like a decent workflow. It gets your Panasonic RAW files into a format that you can use with your existing raw software.

It might interest you to know that some time ago I did the same thing that @Fixx mentions: I didn't want to move to Adobe CC software because I abhor paying them monthly to rent their software. So I purchased LR6, which is the final version of Lightroom that would come with a perpetual license. I needed it for one of my Olympus cameras. But eventually I realized that LR6 is not only a bit of a dead end if I was going to continue to purchase newer cameras than it could handle, but I also began to tire of the Adobe-based workflow. 

Eventually I moved on to Capture One Pro. This may not be an option for you, particularly if you're not a pro. But if it is, I think you'd enjoy the transition. It's not as difficult as I'd imagined it would be. And it eliminated the need to convert files to DNG. Saves me time, and it saves me $$$ in the long run. 

Here's some related info from RawTherapee about that theme:

Other free software which deals with that in the one or other way are Darktable and digiKam (for image Management).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

thanks for input and links
When Lr6 came out I could not see much in there for me. I started with Lr2, or 3 (??)

I always understood we should get the files onto the hard drive before fiddling too much; however I now know I can use On1'18 to sort files on the card -- add labels/stars and even delete the real outstanding rubbish -- before using the dng converter  
The dng converter renaming works well also, as long as it works into your system . This year I have tried a ''new system' of having continuous numbering [yyyymm  00000] so I need to wait until after deleting the real rubbish/just in case files/bracketed files and the likes .   I'm only up to 04350 (originals). Many of those would have been deleted while others would several edited files attached so this year I have only 3000 new dng/psd/tiff/jpg files in Lr . That is mainly because I very seldom use burst mode; even for moving subjects. Yet I have a camera out most days. After 40-50 years of fiddling with the bloody things you would think I could find other things to do 

Tip for the day: if you don't have a good filing/organizing system in place then that should be your new year's resolutions . My last new year's resolutions was never to make another new year's resolutions --- and I have kept true to that one 9_9 
The best filing/organizing button is "delete" -- works well for me 

6 hours ago, Fixx said:

Damn, I do not have delete-button in my mac :51_scream:

You have only noticed this now?! [awe struck emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

A quick & easy way to trash multiple files in one step is by selecting them in a Finder window & either dragging them to the Trash icon on the Dock or right-clicking & selecting "Move To Trash" from the popup menu. This should only be done for files stored in a 'native' file system, so for example it isn't a good idea to do it for files stored on an SD card formatted for use in a camera.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7