You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to know where can I get a newsprint style filter

3 hours ago, KipV said:

I noticed that at the bottom of the Filters menu is a menu item call plugins, I would think that is where you add additional filters that are not installed by default?

That menu item is where you see any Photoshop plugins you have installed in Preferences > Photoshop Plugins that are properly installed & compatible with Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What about using the Black and White Adjustment filter set to Blend Mode: Contrast Negate and then the Threshold adjustment filter? you can make any adjustments you want and even save each filter as a preset. Maybe add a gaussian blur Box Blur filter to get a softer effect.

1867459450_ScreenShot.png.004f4e0577f082b65b90f03e595011d5.png

With a box blur filter added.
1992460035_ScreenShot1.png.6f62e62f9372ebc7539ffbd018a04fbe.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, R C-R said:

That menu item is where you see any Photoshop plugins you have installed in Preferences > Photoshop Plugins that are properly installed & compatible with Affinity Photo.

Are there instructions for how to properly install the PS filters into Affinity? I couldn’t find how to do that under preferences. I assume that is a way to search for Photoshops filter folder?

On 11/20/2018 at 1:05 AM, firstdefence said:

What about using the Black and White Adjustment filter set to Blend Mode: Contrast Negate and then the Threshold adjustment filter? you can make any adjustments you want and even save each filter as a preset. 

I never knew you could get similar effects just by using adjustment layers! I’ll have to try experimenting with that. I am doing an assortment of collages using about five different filters. I wonder how much can be done with adjustment layers?

1 hour ago, KipV said:

I wonder how much can be done with adjustment layers?

You can nest an adjustment so that it only affects that layer. Just make the adjustment a child of the layer.

The stock filters that ship with photoshop cannot be used with affinity, some third-party plugins can and you will have better luck with those on windows, Affinity on Mac and PS plugins are a bit more temperamental.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't paste text in after adding your nick above.

Anyway, this isn't Affinity-specific, but quite a few years back I used Paper.js - specifically the techniques here http://paperjs.org/tutorials/images/using-pixel-colors/ - to create some basic but fairly-reasonable-looking half-tone effects for a spoof newspaper (see attached low-res example containing two 'converted' images).
You need to know a bit about Javascript to use it but it's worth having a look at, maybe for future projects.
(Unfortunately I've lost the code I used - no idea where it's gone - but, as far as I can remember, it was just a tweaked version of the last example code on the page linked to above, and it was done quickly so I'm sure better results can be achieved.)

Encom_Enquirer_Large.png

On 11/25/2018 at 11:01 PM, firstdefence said:

Affinity on Mac and PS plugins are a bit more temperamental.

I wonder why that is? I would be nice to do more plug-in/filter work with Affinity.

@GarryP

That is a pretty neat magazine effect. The main look I am going is for a punk rock styled book (here is a few pages.) Basically I am just trying to make the images more rough looking whether that be through newsprint or other techniques.

42 minutes ago, KipV said:

Basically I am just trying to make the images more rough looking whether that be through newsprint or other techniques.

This will sort of depend on how you are printing the book.

The whole reason newsprint looks rough is because it is printed on poor quality paper using a low lines per inch (LPI) value. Whereas art printing is done on good paper at 150 or 175 LPI, newsprint is about 80 LPI on rubbish. That’s not much better than silk screen at 55 or so.

If you are having the book commercially printed, they should  be able to output the film at 80 LPI. Instant quality drop!

If you are printing it, why not try the halftone filter? That simulates screened halftone, so you might be me able to create a lower lpi look with that. I’ve not tried and I’m on my iPad so I won’t now. But the theory sounds good. They always do ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

13 minutes ago, toltec said:

they should  be able to output the film at 80 LPI. Instant quality drop!

nah, 60 LPI for real cheap and nasty.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

33 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

nah, 60 LPI for real cheap and nasty.

Yes, that does make sense for the older ‘cheap and nasty’ stuff.

I suppose 80 is a bit too new and too good. I was never involved in news printing but when I was interested in that sort of thing (technically) they were trying stochastic screening. Don’t know if anyone still uses that?

I can see halftone being used at some point. I don't think I would describe the images as low quality in the same way a low res image would be. With this album cover you have the text that has been spray painted on top scratched at bottom with an image that is leaving out just the amount of detail that the designer decided on in a filter. I know I talked about newspaper in the title of this topic but I should have said I am trying to find an assortment of dirty looking filter / effects that can be combined in several collages across the project. Just wondering too, are there third filters available for Affinity?

maxresdefault.jpg

A lot of early punk mags were handmade and photocopied using the copiers of the time and they were pretty basic affairs. It might be an idea to do the same and scan the result in for a more authentic look.

29 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

A lot of early punk mags were handmade and photocopied using the copiers of the time and they were pretty basic affairs. It might be an idea to do the same and scan the result in for a more authentic look.

A bit after my time.

I wonder if any were made with duplicators? Now they were rough :(

Topaz Studio - https://topazlabs.com/ - has a lot of effects that can be easily applied to images.
The free version can be a bit clunky at times - updating has never worked totally smoothly for me - but it's functional and might come in handy when you want something quick.
You might like to try the "Texture Effects / Pop Grunge / Paint Splatter" effect, maybe also adding some Exposure/Clarity adjustments.
The attached example was created in less than a couple of minutes, just messing around, so putting the time in will give much better results.

grunge effect example.PNG

46 minutes ago, toltec said:

A bit after my time.

I wonder if any were made with duplicators? Now they were rough :(

Yep that's pretty much what was used, that and felt tip pens, it was very school collage'esque. 

10 hours ago, haakoo said:

Otherwise find online a texture and use this as overlay to get the effect

This works too, I just need to find the texture to overlay the image with.

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I have heard photocopiers can be good to get this technique as well. Another student I was doing this assignment with used the photocopier to warp text by moving the text as it was copying. It was a pretty neat effect!

17 hours ago, GarryP said:

Topaz Studio - https://topazlabs.com/ - has a lot of effects that can be easily applied to images.

I look into it. If I had a decent selection of filters to pick from I probably wouldn't need Photoshop any more.

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

A lot of early punk mags were handmade and photocopied using the copiers of the time and they were pretty basic affairs.

The nice thing about computers though is that they give you some control over to what degree you want to apply an effect which is nice. The old tech way I am sure could bring up different great results.

4 hours ago, KipV said:

The old tech way I am sure could bring up different great results.

This would make a cool plugin, If I was an app/plugin designer I'd make it. I even have a name for it "Punk Glitch" cool eh!