This has already come up on several other threads:

So far eventual support for IDML import has been confirmed, but I don't think I have seen any official statement on export support, though many have asked for it.

It is a questionable feature:

Hello for many projects I used InDesign (IDML/INDD). I would like to switch to Affinity but I need the possibility to export and reimport these files after being translated with a tool.

Can we expect this import/export feature in the future as this is the reason for switching to Affinity.

Wolfgang

2 hours ago, Wolfi said:

Hello for many projects I used InDesign (IDML/INDD). I would like to switch to Affinity but I need the possibility to export and reimport these files after being translated with a tool.

Can we expect this import/export feature in the future as this is the reason for switching to Affinity.

Wolfgang

There is import/open of IDML only. No export so the 50% means it will be 100% useless for your situation, correct? I would not hold my breath waiting for Export of IDML.

INDD will probably never be supported for a whole host of reasons.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.8.2 | Affinity Photo 1.8.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.x.x

Thank you ver much for this information and please inform me about this person who tried to log into my account !!!!! from Breda, North Brabant, 4822

Not sure export to IDML makes much sense. The only value I see of importing IDML files is converting jobs from Indesign to Publisher. There will be issues, files will not import perfectly so you are getting a good start but will have to check every file to make sure it imports correctly. Now why would you want to repeat this with an export to Indesign? You will have to check again the file in Indesign to make sure everything stays the same. Sounds like a lot of tedious and unneeded work. One way makes sense converting to new software, the ability to go back and forth between Indesign and Publisher sounds like a real headache. Any printer you send files to should be fine with print ready PDF's. In fact I would say most prefer it. 

please inform me about this person who tried to log into my account !!!!! from Breda, North Brabant, 4822

How do you know that someone tried to log into your account?  I very much doubt even Serif staff, who can look at a user's account details, would attempt to "log into" any such account.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

4 hours ago, wonderings said:

Not sure export to IDML makes much sense.

I expressed my opinion about it before but I will say it again.

To me being able to export to IDML from Publisher is extremely important. Nobody should expect a perfect match between applications. Even Adobe doesn't guarantee that. But the fact that I can open an IDML file in Publisher, inDesign or QuarkXpress is very reassuring.

Just have a look at  how many people want to open PagePlus files in Publisher and they can't.

To have a common denominator export such as IDML is just great.

I agree, exporting to IDML would be the feature making me switch to Publisher. In my job, being able to export to inDesign format is mandatory.

I hope exporting to IDML will eventually be possible, because that all I'm waiting for to switch from inDesign to Publisher.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:07 PM, wonderings said:

Not sure export to IDML makes much sense. ... Any printer you send files to should be fine with print ready PDF's. In fact I would say most prefer it. 

Not everybody works alone, and just sends the finished PDF to the printer. There are many who collaborate with other authors, designers, translators, proofreaders. Many of them will still work in InDesign. Being able to exchange files with them would be necessary.

For what I can see, IDML import is already very good. I expect well-formatted documents to be imported and exported without any issue.

Paolo