You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.7.0.178

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Brushes

• Photo 1.7 introduces a new “sub-brush” mechanism, developed in conjunction with Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB® Brushes). This exciting feature allows any brush to have a list of other brushes attached which will draw at the same time. Each sub-brush has a fully separate and customisable set of dynamics. You can control when the sub-brushes are drawn and how they blend with the main brush.
  • Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring. We have more symmetry features on the way - so stay tuned during the beta process.
  • Wet edges and accumulation are now available on colour brushes and brushes with HSL variance.
  • Brushes with multiple nozzle textures have always chosen the nozzle at random. In 1.7, the nozzle choice has a dynamic controller and ramp for greater control.
  • All brush tools now support left and right arrow keys for rotation - a common feature request ;)

RAW

• The RAW processing engine in Photo has been rewritten - producing better results and improved performance.
  • RAW files now load much more quickly.
  • Re-implemented support for XTrans sensors.
  • The denoise algorithm has been rewritten (to produce better results).
  • Hot pixel removal is now automatically performed by the Serif Labs engine.
  • Profiled lens correction are more stable, apply more quickly, and can be toggled in the Develop UI.
  • The histogram in the Develop persona is now presented in the output colour space - as opposed to always being linear.

Filters

• New “Procedural Texture” filter with advanced presets support.
  • New “Voronoi” filter.
  • Denoise, Clarity and Shadows / Highlights filters have been rewritten (using technology from the Develop Persona).
  • More filters are now available as Live Filters - including the new Procedural Texture filter.
  • Live filters have been rewritten to improve performance - especially when multiple filters are used in a document.
  • Improved Polar to Rectangular and Rectangular to Polar filters.

Adjustments

• The HSL adjustment layer has been rewritten. It now supports custom hue ranges, a new algorithm, new UI and picker controls.
  • The Levels adjustment layer now supports output levels - a common feature request.
  • The White Balance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • The Selective Colour adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • PSD import / export of adjustments has been improved.
  • The Vibrance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • The Recolour adjustment layer has gained a lightness slider.

Tools

• The Crop tool has been rewritten - it now supports resolution changes, absolute pixel size and has a much improved preset mechanism.
  • The Sponge Brush tool now gives more correct / pleasant results.
  • A general tools overhaul has been performed - providing editing of grids, guides, page origin, across multiple tools (not just in the Move tool)

General

• “Alternate futures” for document history have been added. Traditionally, if you roll back the undo history then do something else all your changes after that point are lost. Photo will now display a small branch icon in the history tab when you do this. Pressing that button will cycle between all the different “futures” after that history entry - meaning you will never lose work you have done.
  • HEIF images can now be loaded directly into Photo. If they contain a depth map, this will also be loaded as a second layer. Because depth maps are typically lower resolution than the main image, optional “smart” upsampling will be performed.
  • A large number of new cameras are supported for RAW development (we will provide a list of the new supported cameras as soon as possible!).
  • The batch process dialog now fully supports expressions for height and width - available constants are “w”, “h” and “dpi”.
  • Photo now supports custom document presets - a popular feature request.
  • A new blend mode - Linear Burn - has been added.
  • New “Move inside / outside” commands have been added - useful for quick operations on clipping masks etc.
  • The Hard Mix blend mode has been improved.
  • New provider options have been added to the stock panel - support for Unsplash and Pexels. Both of these providers offer full-resolution stock imagery which is free to use.
  • Metadata is now dynamically synchronised with your document - so if you resize then export, the values will be correct.
  • Numerous text improvements have been made - including new features.
  • Significant PDF import / export improvements and fixes.
  • Added support for per-monitor ICC profiles (previously we only used the primary monitor's ICC profile) in the document view (controls still use the primary monitor's ICC profile, which will hopefully be fixed in the future).

Fixes

• Numerous other bug fixes - too many to list!

1) Procedural Textures are cool, ripples are close to Chrome filter i need from PS but results mostly with monochrome filters are too blurry. (low-res)

2) Love additional Perlin noise and Cloud options in PT!

3) Crop Tool visuals are still kind of not precise for pixels (lines are too thick and blurry), i would like to see Marque select thin line visuals :)

4) Dont like new Icon for Photo and Designer they looks kind of simplistic but in a bad way :( (i would just tweak the old ones, like removing that bottom tip +  increasing size + some shape tweaking)

IconsNewvsOLD.png

PS: Cant find Voronoi Filter

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

No problems during instalation and runs smootly.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

More filters are now available as Live Filters - including the new Procedural Texture filter.

In this case why the destructive ones are still listed in "Filters" menu?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

the new Icons are pleasant to look at and thanks to their clear design, its much more easy to understand what those icons are representing. :D
comparison how the icons look like when pinned to the Taskbar.
701162853_newiconsarecool.png.29a8a67639e967a5050ec0aaff914762.png

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Hello Mark,
thanks for the new beta.
The download was a bit longer than usual, probably the servers are overloaded.
Installation as usual without problems.
Now it's time to testing. :)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

9 hours ago, myclay said:

the new Icons are pleasant to look at and thanks to their clear design, its much more easy to understand what those icons are representing. :D
comparison how the icons look like when pinned to the Taskbar.
701162853_newiconsarecool.png.29a8a67639e967a5050ec0aaff914762.png

im black sheep here :D i like old ones, just enlarge them to higher res. at least they look good with AERO. If photo texture represents shutter geometry .. maybe more grey style icon would fit even more but i believe some other software already using that Aparature/Shutter style icon this way.

On other way old icons look similar to ARTSTATION website

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

2 minutes ago, nezumi said:

So far so good. Really like the improvements! I also cant find Voronoi filter as well as.. this may sounds stupid but I have no clue whats “Move inside / outside” commands all about :)

They are in "Arange" menu and "Move Inside" moves the upper layer inside the layer which is below it.

Easy and quick installation, but I had to enter email add and code manually. It's so much more speedy now. Once GPU acceleration implemented we'll need a seatbelt. Thanks.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Filters

• New “Voronoi” filter.

Where can I find this filter?

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Hmmmm... This is a great version, but I missed a few things:

- Live Mesh Warp Filter for mockups. I wait this function without rasterize.

- Switch to Publisher and back like as AP to AD and back from File menu. How can we testing crossing compatibility with Publisher? Ex. copied Artistic text from AP to Publisher with clipboard -  not possible now an vica versa.

- I see filler text option in AP, but I no find where is this text (in Publisher there under Preferences).

I will testing more :) 

4 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Where can I find this filter?

Cheers

Unfortunatelly, it is ommited in Windows version.

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Unfortunatelly, it is ommited in Windows version.

Agreed, the UI is missing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

In this case why the destructive ones are still listed in "Filters" menu?

To give you a choice between live or destructive?

Because live filters have more of an impact on performance than destructive?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have to admit I kind of dislike the new shadows/ highlights live filter. The old version used to offer much more control over the result. But what's even more important: In 1.6 the highlights filter used to reduce (darken) highlights, now it increases (brightens) them. Is this really the idea behind it? The shadows/ highlights live filter used to be a superb tool to fix areas that were either too dark or too bright. Now it simply feels like one more redundant tool.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

To give you a choice between live or destructive?

Because live filters have more of an impact on performance than destructive?

Who wants destructive features these days in bitmap software?

A-Team should work more on better performance if it is a case. But, as they mentioned in the description on this beta release, it is already solved.

• The RAW processing engine in Photo has been rewritten - producing better results and improved performance.
  • RAW files now load much more quickly.
  • Re-implemented support for XTrans sensors.
  • The denoise algorithm has been rewritten (to produce better results).
  • Hot pixel removal is now automatically performed by the Serif Labs engine.
  • Profiled lens correction are more stable, apply more quickly, and can be toggled in the Develop UI.
  • The histogram in the Develop persona is now presented in the output colour space - as opposed to always being linear.

finally....YEAH!!! Thanks a lot. That seems to be a great update. Will try it out this week.