You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Avery Labels and Business Cards

Avery makes a robust line of labels and business cards. I see many others have requested this feature be added to at least the release version of Publisher.

I must chime in on this one and agree!

As a long time Serif user I am excited by the new line of Affinity programs. For many years I was a loyal Corel customer until they changed their business model. Seeking an equally capable replacement, I chose Serif with absolutely no regrets.

I had also used Adobe PhotoShop out of necessity for one year. One feature I found very useful and dearly miss is Lightroom's cataloging ability; another feature sorely needed.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, lulgi said:

Avery makes a robust line of labels and business cards. I see many others have requested this feature be added to at least the release version of Publisher.

Hi @lulgi,

Affinity Designer introduced in it's 1.7 beta version custom presets for documents. This should work for business cards.

For Avery labels you can create your own AD document with all the settings and design you need, save it in a folder called e.g. 'Templates'. To create a new document from a template you simply open one of your files, save it under a new name and fill in your data. This should work almost the same way :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I too would like to have the ability to Easily choose a Avery or Small publication template instead of having to create a custom profile for each... After a bunch of fiddling I was able to figure out how to set the document size then the custom scale for 'N-Up' to repeat the same label or business card across the page with success. Then I Save-As and I have my template. But if Serif doesn't want to create the library for all of us as part of the program, maybe they should create a repository on their site or on the Forums site for people to download contributed templates? Designer is a very capable program but I really miss all the little nuances that developed into PagePlus over the years...  ALSO being able to OPEN an existing PagePlus file should be available and that should have been the fist thing developed!! re-creating hundreds of documents isn't feasible so I must still use the PagePlus program with it's continuous crashing just to use those old files... Not a great solution!

8 minutes ago, kurtedward said:

re-creating hundreds of documents isn't feasible so I must still use the PagePlus program with it's continuous crashing just to use those old files... Not a great solution!

PagePlus shouldn’t be crashing continuously — or even continually! Please post to the CommunityPlus Forum for help to track down the cause of the crashes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Trust me, from years (decades) of experience use on many different (PC) computers... the one constant for PagePlus is its ability to crash 'continuously' mainly with large or complicated projects, to continuously save is the only option. I have spent seemingly, endless hours on the phone with tech support, sending them my worst offenders... I am really looking forward to Publishers release tomorrow (6/19/19) But now with publisher being on its initial release, it will be years before it will develop into what PagePlus already was, save the crashing... Cheers

3 minutes ago, kurtedward said:

But now with publisher being on its initial release, it will be years before it will develop into what PagePlus already was, save the crashing...

That being the case, why are you so keen to transfer your projects across? :/

Depending on the nature of your documents, you might get reasonable results by publishing as PDF from PP and then opening the resultant file in APub. Had the developers gone to the trouble of writing a custom *.ppp importer, they probably wouldn’t have achieved better results anyway.

The one thing I’d like to see is an importer for native WritePlus (*.stt) files. PDF import has no way to bring the disparate elements of a ‘story’ back together once they’ve been spread out into separate (albeit originally linked) frames.

Alfred spacer.png

Designer 1.7.1 (just updated) crashed while creating the second template, I sent the crash report. Now the next issues with the Custom (Print dialog) Layouts is that you still need to create the document with the correct 'label' dimensions, so I created a 'Document setup' 'Preset' for each of my Custom Layouts. But then when you go to print, nothing shows up on the preview screen and the labels don't print. but if you notice the attachment, of the Print dialog, the Width & Height boxes are set as zero. And, yes, those numbers (8.5x11) were inserted there when I was saving, and doing a Save-As to overwrite the original.(bug?)  So while making Custom Layouts, sort of works, there are lots of steps... It really should be more automatic??  And when going back into 'Document Setup' under 'Presets' the little button that let you create or delete a preset disappeared. (bug?)

I also attached my Avery templates just in case anyone wants them. Put them in C:\Users\ "your user name" \AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\printing

2019-06-18.jpg

Avery business cards 8371 10-per page.profile

Avery label 5160 30-per page.profile

Avery label 5163 10-per page.profile

Avery label 5167 80-per page.profile

Avery label 5195 60-per page.profile

2019-06-18 (1).jpg

20 minutes ago, kurtedward said:

the problem with importing a PDF that was exported by PagePlus is that the text is imported as vectors and not editable text in either Publisher or Designer. Even after the import screen states that all the fonts are available.

Did you choose the option to "Favor editable text over fidelity"?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, kurtedward said:

But now with publisher being on its initial release, it will be years before it will develop into what PagePlus already was, save the crashing...

On 6/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Alfred said:

That being the case, why are you so keen to transfer your projects across? :/

Depending on the nature of your documents, you might get reasonable results by publishing as PDF from PP and then opening the resultant file in APub. Had the developers gone to the trouble of writing a custom *.ppp importer, they probably wouldn’t have achieved better results anyway.

The one thing I’d like to see is an importer for native WritePlus (*.stt) files. PDF import has no way to bring the disparate elements of a ‘story’ back together once they’ve been spread out into separate (albeit originally linked) frames.

Alfred spacer.png