You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

high pass sharpening

this is written for Ps  but is very similar if not the same for Affinity 
 A note from experience  --- you don't need to know many of the editing tricks seen in their 1000s on the www. There are easy ways to sharpen and there are more complicated ways to sharpen; however most weekend happy snappers and even enthusiasts will likely never notice the difference. This applies to so  many photo editing tricks. If you are new to all this; you really only need to understand and know the editing basics. The more detail edits will work their way into your photography as you need to know ;) . Also; don't get bogged down by flooding your computer will presets/actions/macros . I have seen and heard of some who push buttons all day trying to find that magic edit from 1000s of presets.
The same goes for editing programs; get you one can understand and learn it well.  I find I can spend too much time trying to find "that perfect"  texture, or border that no one will notice anyway. 

Now getting your camera in your hands, do your own photography, and stop reading **** like this on the www   :D 

29 minutes ago, bill hansen said:

view the results in sRGB color space?

Maybe Bill you are getting a little technical  . Sharpening is only important when large photos are printed 
Off topic : do you know about local contrast sharpening > unsharp mask filter >radius 100Px ? Works well --- often all I use ; but  I don't bother printing photos and certainly not big stuff
Affinity videos by James ?? are some of the best around imo

google > Sharpen 5  Ways with Affinity Photo + Free Macro 
or just google > high pass sharpening 
I hope that is of more help

One edited last night . This is mostly  > unsharp mask filter >radius 100Px Bill. Both image would have had a little sharpening as in basic edit Lr preset
Panasonic Fz300 which has a rather small 12mb sensor 

201811  04479-1-2-1-1-2.jpg

201811  04479-2.jpg

Ian, I sympathise with @bill hansen. I have never used high-pass sharpening and was interested to click on your thread. I had to read it again to find the actual tutorial in the link at the beginning.

Your example uses an unsharp mask. Given the topic of the thread, would not an example using a high-pass filter be better? Or better still, a comparison of the two?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Ian, I sympathise with @bill hansen. I have never used high-pass sharpening and was interested to click on your thread. I had to read it again to find the actual tutorial in the link at the beginning.

Your example uses an unsharp mask. Given the topic of the thread, would not an example using a high-pass filter be better? Or better still, a comparison of the two?

John

True John; however I have to admit I have a  sharpening in my "1st edit" Lr preset added to all files and then add a "local contrast with Average blending layer" with Affinity .  So in fact high pass sharpening doesn't get used that much in my workflow and I was really trying to show Bill another way.  

A contribution.

High Pass sharpening is most useful to me when the 'unsharp' method appears to induce a little too many artefacts (especially when I have cropped harshly).

Yet to try this with AP but my usual method under these circumstances was to only sharpen the mono layer in Labs (PS obviously) thereby creating one sharpened layer without the RGB layers suffering.

I will see if this is possible in AP when next working unless someone else gets there first.

Up until now High Pass on all layers seems to do the job well [perhaps its just I got better with the camera ;-)] 

Oh over sharpening for the web with unsharp settings is my norm.. 

Printing images is (for me) the final product. Usually on my own Large Format Epson for shows/customers (rarely now) or for the wall.

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

• 4 weeks later...