You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 images on same window

Hello,

Been trying to work with 2 images that show together at the same time on live area.

All I have been able to accomplish is having 2 images but I can only see the one I select even tho they are both loaded  (I need to see them both side by side).

How can this be achieved ?

I am working on mac version.

• Staff

Hi patheos,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
How have you placed the images in the document? Can you please post a screenshot of the interface with the Layers panel visible so i can see what's going on and explain why you aren't able to see one of them? The easiest/quickest way to add two (or more) images to a document as layers in dragging them from the Finder to an opened document. Alternatively you can also use the command File ▸ Place.

It sounds like the images might be stacked one on top of the other. If so, & you want to see them side by side in one document, one quick way to do that if you are using Affinity Photo is to drag one image to the side & then use "Unclip canvas" to expand it so that both images are visible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@ MEB - Dragging them from Finder only displays the last image loaded... the first one disappears. If I add them both from the 'open' meny, they are both on the live area - but only one is visible (see image)

@R C-R - dragging and unclip canvas does not seem to change it.

1870874212_ScreenShot2018-11-19at8_52_42AM.thumb.png.27b2a663768b0c1f9b494ec2a37524c4.png

• Staff

Hi patheos,

There's two situations here and it's not clear which one you are trying to achieve:

1. If you want to see both images opened as independent documents, each one in its own document window then go to menu Window ▸ Separated Mode.

2. If you want the two images opened in the same document each one as a layer, create a new document go to menu File ▸ Place and select both images from the dialog (or simply drag them from the Finder to an already created document) or go to menu File ▸ Open, open the first one and with that document still active go to menu File ▸ Place and select the second one to open it as a new layer in that document. If the layers are overlapping each other (so that one of the images is covering the other) and you want them side by side you need to enlarge the document's canvas so you can move the top one to the side and keep it visible. To increase the canvas size go to menu Document ▸ Resize cavas. The width of the document should be the sum of the widths of both width's images while the height should remain the same (assuming both images have the same height).

Yikes - sorry guys...long time windows photoshop user here.  Used to having images load up automatically on same window with immediate capabilities to independently crop one, adjust size on another, clone one part of one image to another on the fly... all in same window.

1. In seperated mode looks like 2 independent windows does not seem like having any linking capabilities between both... at least when I tried to logically do it. Very awkward scenario.

2. unfortunately that's not going to work for me... I followed your directions above and looks more like I'm working with a 'collage' with pasted images that have no cross image capabilities for editing. Also the tools seem to diminish to less tools when in this mode even when 'view' is set to show tools.

• Staff

Seems you are trying to open two RAW files, not processed files (JPG, TIFF, PNG) as we were assuming. RAW files open in a specific Persona - the Develop Persona - one at a time. There's no way to work with RAW images side by side in the same document. Each image must be processed/developed individually on its own document window before you can switch to Photo Persona where you can then edit the images as in a regular photo editor. You can think of Develop Persona as the Adobe Camera RAW step before moving images to Photoshop. To learn more about Affinity Photo workflows/Personas check this video tutorial: Discover Affinity Photo.

Just in case you are not aware, there's a full set of video tutorial for Affinity Photo available here covering basically almost features/funcionality of the program: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials.

too bad... I cannot afford to purchase 'photoshop for mac' right now (no longer using windows).

Affinity seemed like the closest lower priced application that was close to what I need.

I will still be using it tho.

Thanks for the help and the explanation about personas.

• 1 month later...

I read this thread as I thought it might help solve another problem I have had so I'll lay it out here and see of there might be another solution.

I was looking to open 2 raw images side by side to use the measured WB for one on the other.  I am shooting with a full spectrum camera and looking to create WB references for each filter I use with a gray card.  With ACR I can easily get by the WB limitations with a Camera Profile and then dialing in the Temp and Tint from the accompanying gray card shot.  With Nikon's NX-D I can bring a photo into Capture, highlight it and then use the WB dropper on the thumbnail of its accompanying gray card shot.  I can't find anyway to do it with Affinity.

Affinity will pull a workable WB off the image but the accompanying numbers are meaningless when trying to apply them to another image.  Putting a gray card into every shot and then cropping it out is pretty clunky.  Any other suggestions?

Hmm, I usually don't use the APh RAW develop persona due to it's handling and other limitations here. However, what you can try is to make a own named preset for images of a series (under equal lighting conditions) and then apply that for the other images. So trying out if the gray card WB setting from one can be reused in some manner or not.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks, v_ ,but that doesn't work for IR as the WB numbers go off the scale and peg at 25,000 and 0.  ACR allows to create a new camera profile which will allow you to bump the scale into a usable area.  NX-D will allow you to WB off of a different image.  Hoping there was an Affinity solution as well as I know at least one of their people plays in IR a good bit.

Hi MEB!

I also often need the option of having two documents open at the same time. I want to either
1 - clone a selection from picture 2 into picture 1 or
2 - copy a selection from picture 2 to picture 1 and then export only picture 1.

Screenshot attached.

image.thumb.png.adfda7aa4b306ac5706d88da8ee72207.png

1058213408_ScreenshotAP.thumb.jpg.a7cc9de23d9edd741b91289cc5f41207.jpg

For the export, I now mark image 1, but it will export the entire document. What am I doing wrong?

greetings

Guzzi

Exportiertes Dokument:

1714939215_30959_mitBlteohneHG.thumb.jpg.e0947dee1028736d5b1f76e3dedb0b75.jpg

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

3 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

1 - clone a selection from picture 2 into picture 1 or
2 - copy a selection from picture 2 to picture 1 and then export only picture 1

1. You can establish a "global source" using the Sources panel, set a point in picture 2 as your source, then use the Clone brush from image 1.

2. Why not just export image 1 before coping the selection over to it? But to answer your question look at the Export Persona, and create a slice using picture 1's layer, and export that slice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.