You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Affinity Photo Windows Store version as external editor

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if there's a way to configure Windows 10 Store version of Affinity Photo as external editor? As it's not an ordinary program I cannot just find a path to the executable file and use it in 3rd party software as path to external editor. I tried several workarounds and none of them worked.

If it's not possible, then I have another question - is it possible to install ordinary Windows version if I alredy own Windows Store version?

Best regards,

Andrey.

• Staff

Hi @Omber,

Welcome to the forums. 

5 minutes ago, Omber said:

If it's not possible, then I have another question - is it possible to install ordinary Windows version if I alredy own Windows Store version?

No, unless you purchase a new licence from our website. The MS Store licencing is handled in a different way and does not require a license. It's all done by MS. 

We cannot suggest any ways of using this as an editor with 3rd party apps as it involves breaking the sandbox feature. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

On 11/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, GabrielM said:

Hi @Omber,

Welcome to the forums. 

No, unless you purchase a new licence from our website. The MS Store licencing is handled in a different way and does not require a license. It's all done by MS. 

We cannot suggest any ways of using this as an editor with 3rd party apps as it involves breaking the sandbox feature. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

You can register Affinity Photo to have an App Execution Alias, which will allow command line operations to be done against it with ease. A few "core" MS apps support this already, and a number of other released apps do as well. I can't find the documentation at present, but I believe it is only a modification to the app's manifest file to accomplish this.

Big gain for a small investment from you, Serif.

Here's an example:

image.thumb.png.f479214c011a9f14757569a6732cbe94.png

On 11/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, GabrielM said:

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the answers,

Sad to hear that but I do understand why it is so.

Please also take into consideration Saijin_Naib's comment as i feel that it makes sense. 

10 hours ago, IanSG said:

Which, of course, is entirely reasonable.  I, however, do not need to be reasonable  - have a look at this thread.

Ian, 

I tried to follow that road even before posting to the forums, but somehow I haven't thought about the ownership thing. It works like a charm this way, thanks a lot!

It would be nice however to have an "official" way to do it, if only because I suppose the name of the folder is gonna change after each update which won't allow me to do it once and relax for the rest of my days :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I regret buying the windows store version since i cannot use Affinity photo as an editor from many apps (ex Photolab) which is very important.

The saddest part is that Affinity Photo still not creating an execution alias as other UWP apps do.

Any chance to implement this Serif?

image.png.80fda75007c30aecc7ba5bb688900e5e.png

Edited by sfortis

• 1 month later...