You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trouble subtracting 2 curves from a 3rd to make 2 holes

In the attached file I have a background curve and two small circular curves above it. I want to combine all three curves into a single curve with two holes in it. The objective is to have a single black path on a transparent background, with the holes showing the transparent background.

I'm able to use curve subtraction to put one of the holes in -- either hole -- but I can't then do it with the second hole.

I've also tried combining the two holes into a single curve and then performing the subtraction, but this doesn't yield any holes.

I know this is possible because I have many holey curves among my designs.

However, in this case, I used an external tool -- Super Vectorizer 2 -- to create the curves from a drawing of mine. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Any suggestions for me? Thanks!

cant make one curve.afdesign

5 minutes ago, >|< said:

Select the black shape and do Layer > Fill Mode > Alternate. Now when you subtract the white shapes from it, the result will have Alternate fill mode and be rendered with two holes.

Or do the subtraction first and then change the result's fill mode to Alternate.

That did it! Thank you!

I can't say I understand how the explanation given in the user manual applies here, but I'm happy it works.

I thought Affinity was awesome even before I discovered these user forums. Now it transcends awesome and is magical. I just ask a question of the world and within minutes get an answer that completely solves my problem. Thank you so much!